Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th January 2011, 10:21 AM   #1
David718

Default Need Advise

Hello, i am in need of some advise. I am attempting to contact a few local businesses about helping them improve thier online presense. I send a letter out monday and follow up with a phone call thursday. This method has prove to be successful in the past but recently i have been calling thursday and getting shut out. I am wondering what a good way to approach local businesses would be without getting shut down so quickly. Once i get in an actual convorsation with them, explain what it is i can do, connect with them personally and show that it is not scripted nor am i a scam, it is usually a success. I guess what i am asking is if anyone has any advise on how to better connect with onwers and not come across in a way that gets me shut out quickly. I welcome any advise and thank you for your time. I understand that my description may be a little vauge and i will provide more information if it proves relevant to the advise. Thanks!

David718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th January 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
TilenKrivec

If you are trying to contact english speaking businesses you might want to polish up your language first.

The two basic things you can offer them that can increase your response rate by x10 or even by x100 are Proof and Value

Proof
In the letter that you send to them, include testimonials and results from past clients, case studies, etc. any way you can that you can remove the objection they might have of you being a fraud. We all tend to be very skeptical of anyone who promises he can help us make money and having solid proof is an amazing way to overcome that.

Value
Give first, ask for return later. Create a report reviewing their online presence, send them a modified marketing campaign they can use. IMPORTANT - give them something they can use right away! Be brief and specific, giving them actionable steps. Include that if they have any problems with the steps laid out they can contact you for help. And BAM, you already have THEM contacting YOU for help. It's as easy as it gets from there on.

Hope it helped

TilenKrivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 05:07 AM   #3
ava_camen

give them a free 1 week promotion.. its your only way for them to give you a chance, if you have proved your worth then you will gain their trust

ava_camen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 12:55 PM   #4
mydream2

There is so much competition lately with online marketing, I would suggest the personal touch, join your local chamber of commerce, or any business networking group in your area, hand out your business cards, introduce yourself, do not try to sell your services, but explain to them you are available to offer suggestions on how there business can increase their online presence, once Credibility has been established they will use your services, and refer other members within the networking group.

Thanks and Much Success in your business.

mydream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 03:24 AM   #5
LloydBurrell

It really depends on how you define "local business." Ever considered to create a database (if you don't have it already) and contact them on the phone directly, without prior emails? Also, be careful with your introduction. You don't want it to sound cold calling. Direct, personal relations work best, so you should pursue that.

LloydBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 07:49 PM   #6
innermountain

Are there any linkup groups, networking groups, coffee groups in the area? Those can often be a great way to expand your "warm" market.

innermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 02:03 PM   #7
cyberjunkie

People prefer to buy from people they know and trust. So an important part of the process is to start interacting with these people and to build up trust, without trying to sell something to them. Let them get to know you first. Then you can offer them some free and valuable advice and reports, like the others mentioned above.

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 12th April 2011 at 02:43 PM.
cyberjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 05:59 AM   #8
SanWay
VIP Contributor

there are so many people call my company every day offering something...and sometimes it becomes really annoying. My advice is try to be polite and before calling you must know what company you are calling! Dont call everybody - only target customers!

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 01:41 PM   #9
390Main

First, with all respect, I hope the spelling and grammar in your sales letter is better than it is in your post. As you know, sloppiness is an immediate turn-off.

Now,about your letter.[list][*]Have you identified the business owners "pain" so that he/she relates?[*]Have you explained the benefits of working with you?[*]Is there an offer?[*]Is there a promise, or a guarantee?[*]How about proof (testimonials)?
  • Do you ask for an appointment?

Use the AIDA formula. Your letter should provoke Attention, Interest, Desire and Action.

Another approach: State the Problem from the owner's perspective, provide a Solution, make an Offer.

I recommend that you pick up a copy of Dan Kennedy's book, The Ultimate Sales Letter.

Bob

390Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 01:50 AM   #10
iqecommerce

Posts and replies are really great. Lot of learning materials here. Thanks for the share.

IQecommerce.

iqecommerce is offline   Reply With Quote