Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th June 2009, 02:33 AM   #1
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Default Article Writing And Rewriting

I wonder whether there is any difference between article writing and rewriting. Article rewriting is more or less reshuffling the content of an existing article. Whereas article writing is reshuffling the content of two of three websites. Which is more or less the same.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th June 2009, 04:20 AM   #2
KirkEisele

Default In Theory One is Creative

In theory when you are writing an article you are bringing something new and unique to the table. Yes, you may be processing information from existing sources but you should still be adding your interpretation of the information and perhaps some perspective. In theory.

Re-writing is just a shuffle to avoid duplicate content so you can post the same thing several places I think...

Once again, in theory. Often you are probably right... people instead of writing are basically rewriting pieces of other author's work. Seems like a bit of a waste really since it is not much more work to add a bit of personality and insight to a project. (Assuming the author knows anything about it...)

Kirk

KirkEisele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 09:15 AM   #3
copywriter

My 2 cents...

It seems you're calling "articles" and "web copy" by the same name. They are two different animals.

Articles (examples here) are informative and found usually in magazines, ezines, blogs and forums, etc. They are most often not designed to be direct sales tools (with the exception of your small bio at the very end of the article).

Website copy, on the other hand, is designed to directly sell and/or otherwise persuade the visitor to take some sort of action. (Example of web copy.)

Writing something - as Kirk pointed out - is the original creation of the text whether it be an article, web copy or anything else that is written.

RE-writing is doing it again. In fact "re" anything is doing it again. There are lots of reasons to re-write something. To edit it for better flow. To include new information that wasn't there when you originally wrote it. To create a version for online use that won't trigger a duplicate content filter and dozens more.

Old 10th June 2009, 03:12 PM   #4
viper_one
VIP Contributor

I basically took a line from a great marketer and reworked it just for fun! Ok!

I kept reducing it until I got to the absolute minimal words possible.....I went back to his original works and thought --- how weak!

I am not sure of you question, but I find that I can create my own stuff or rewrite somebody elses!!

Just let your imagination go --- try expanding, or contracting; simplifing or intensifying; expressive or boring --- it lots of fun!

To be orginal means it is in your own words, else everything is reworked. etc.

FYI!

Old 10th June 2009, 03:16 PM   #5
copywriter

Quote:
or rewrite somebody elses
Just be very careful with this. You can use the same ideas legally, but just changing a word or two of a piece somebody else wrote is plagiarism.

I'm not talking about the headline example you gave. Just giving a round about "heads up" for those who didn't know.

Old 3rd November 2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Sas123

I've got a question on the same topic: What is more effective for SEO article writing and rewriting? Or there's no difference?

Old 3rd November 2009, 09:38 AM   #7
copywriter

The engines don't care if you write an article from scratch or if you edit (rewrite) one. Makes no diff. to them.

Old 3rd November 2009, 01:27 PM   #8
phanio
VIP Contributor

Rewriting can be OK if it is targeted to a new audience or market. Most people read things differently from each other - thus, several articles on the same topic just reshuffled around a bit may get your point across to more people.

I also noticed that many of the magizines I read rewrite articles year after year - They just seem to update them for the current issue. I really don't mind these that much (especailly since they are ayear apart) - I like the updates as well as to be reminded what has happened over the last year with the topic of the article.

Old 7th November 2009, 02:09 PM   #9
gomziwms45

The work of a copy writer is not that simple as it looks like to be. He has the art to play with words. It definitely needs skill to rephrase the content of the article without altering the flow of the content and making it look like a fresh article

gomziwms45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 12:28 AM   #10
lordspace

I think google is pretty smart in detecting when an article is retrieved from somewhere else.
The article should be shuffled multiple times so it doesn't look like the original at all.

lordspace is offline   Reply With Quote