Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > Success Stories and Profiles > Real Small Businesses, Real Big Ideas Series
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd August 2006, 04:32 AM   #11
jmhonline
I bought the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace View Post
I don't know, Jason. I think you should have left well enough alone. There is nothing wrong with a person writing about an experience in business, whether that be good or bad.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it either. I do it myself all the time. That isn't the problem here.
Quote:
I think Jennifer was most gracious to leave your name out of her example.
There was nothing gracious about it. Especially when you consider that when she first labeled and attacked me, she preceded to then discuss matters that I never said I was an expert. The fact that actual experts in technical matters disagree with the things she said afterwards is besides the point.
Quote:
She had every right to include it in the article as it is part of the overall experience.
Not the whole rights thing. We all have rights. Doesn't make it the right thing to do. Here it is in a nutshell. can't sleep at the moment. might as well.

"we need help"
"I can help with this"
"great, but can you help with this also?"
"sure"
"what about this, that, and the other thing"
"not understanding you"
"not understanding you either"
"well, here is my best answer with a limited understanding of what you are trying to accomplish even though I have done this sort of thing time after time, and I have verified it with an expert"
"we're not understanding each other, lets part on good terms. I know you are doing this for free and this discussion was not regarding your true expertise. You did your best, and I appreciate your effort and will give you something for your time"
"thanks. lets part on good terms."
"btw, I will be stabbing you in the back and attacking your credibility in public even though your main expertise never came into the equation. Even though you were not conversing directly with the actual client, I'll try to discount your proven track record and basically say you're a complete idiot with everyone. P.S. If you have a problem with this, I'll attack you even more."
"thank you, much appreciated"
Quote:
Now your name has been revealed because you decided to defend yourself (even though you were never named by name in the article).
See above and previous posts. Technically, no. Honest look at reality, yes.
Quote:
IMO you should have done that in the private arena instead of airing your laundry in public.
The laundry was already public and mislabeled.
Quote:
The search engine marketing community is very tight niche and I can vouch that both Jennifer and Matt are very well respected. They are two of the most credible people in the industry. I am glad to know both of them and be able to call them my friends.
Now please explain how that has anything whatsoever to do with me. I don't need you to vouch for them. I will vouch for them. They are great at what they do.
Quote:
This is just my opinion but if I were you, I'd seriously request that this thread be removed. I believe that option is still available. Pick and choose your battles because I don't think this is one that is going to leave you looking good in the end.
Or it could end up different. I wanted to set the record straight for archival purposes and enquiring minds. Responded to the followup and let it go. Now I have responded to two additional followups and have no problem letting it go again.

jmhonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd August 2006, 04:34 AM   #12
jmhonline
I bought the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejenn View Post
Again, your assertions don't change the reality of the situation.

I'll second that.

Jason, this is a he said/she said thing. You've presented your side, I've presented mine. Anyone reading this thread can draw their own conclusions.
I guess I didn't respond fast enough. The saga continues.....

Old 22nd August 2006, 12:10 PM   #13
Old Welsh Guy

I just as well throw my hat into the ring.

1. I have read and re read that article and sorry, but nowhere does it name any company or person. So I really can not see where this 'he said she said thing has come from?

2. This conversation should be held in private, because it will do no one any good as clients coming across this will have the seed of doubt planted in their minds. (something that could never have happened if it was private)

I have to ask you right out Jason, why you say that you were named. Keep in mind I am just amazingly baffled as to how ANYONE could get the name of you or your company from that article. And I am a fairly shrewd cookie in working out what is and isn't happening between the lines.

Mission creep is a common problem, and if you were being asked stuff outside your comfort zone, then I can see where it might have began to unravel I have been in the sae position as you, although I just ask one of my other top web pals LOL (as they do with me) .

I am posting this not as a moderator but as a bystander in a forum, and I honestly can not see ANY good coming from this thread, ESPECIALLY if it gets picked up by threadwatch the register or other sites. In fact it could get downright silly.

Can I propose to all parties that this is taken into private? Words like slander have been thrown about (although libel is the correct term as it is spoken word not written word we are discussing). The problem we have here is that we could see law suits flying around for what is IMO a non event.

I rest my case now but ask all parties to think long and hard, and at the very least pm each other to discuss this matter.

Old 22nd August 2006, 12:24 PM   #14
jmhonline
I bought the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Welsh Guy View Post
I just as well throw my hat into the ring.

1. I have read and re read that article and sorry, but nowhere does it name any company or person. So I really can not see where this 'he said she said thing has come from?
Instead of the article, re read this thread. It has been pointed out numerous times and is pretty blatant.
Quote:
2. This conversation should be held in private, because it will do no one any good as clients coming across this will have the seed of doubt planted in their minds. (something that could never have happened if it was private)

I have to ask you right out Jason, why you say that you were named. Keep in mind I am just amazingly baffled as to how ANYONE could get the name of you or your company from that article. And I am a fairly shrewd cookie in working out what is and isn't happening between the lines.
I have already addressed this. You must have missed some things because I already discussed one quick and easy test.

Edited to note that not only did someone contact me about the article, but it is now appearing in a forum.
"Ouch. Who was the "expert"?"

"Easy answer - just Google the term...."

I know the facts don't matter, but I thought I would add it anyways.
Quote:
Mission creep is a common problem, and if you were being asked stuff outside your comfort zone, then I can see where it might have began to unravel I have been in the sae position as you, although I just ask one of my other top web pals LOL (as they do with me).
It wasn't out of my comfort zone. I do roi all the time for miva clients. Its not difficult when you have all the information. I refer people elsewhere all the time when appropriate.

Last edited by jmhonline; 22nd August 2006 at 03:56 PM.