Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > Success Stories and Profiles > Real Small Businesses, Real Big Ideas Series
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th December 2010, 06:14 PM   #1
rulesibreak

Thumbs up What Do You Think About This

So basically I want to make a website where users can post virtually any location-based information, the information will be sorted into categories, and (via checkboxes/search combo or something) can be displayed on the map with clickable details. This will heavily rely on google maps I'm sure. This will include your events (link with facebook/myspace/whatever), other posted local events from local clubs/bars/whatever, etc.

Anyway the clincher is we will also have locations of police activity! Mainly roadblocks/checkpoints and speed traps. Everything posted will have a timestamp and police activity is locally known to last an average amount of time depending on the activity so the locals will figure it out quickly. We can set the website to auto-delete across the board if no end-time is specified depending on event. Anyway that's technical details. The reason google won't do this themselves is because it's too controversial, but launching the whole thing on this platform appeals to every aspect of living local life in the users' area.

Since we'd be relying so much on Google (probably) I bet if we fleshed this out we might could get a partnership of some sorts with them, at least under the table.

By the way the police activity intel should be covered under the freedom of information act I think. I figure we get some good lawyers and we'll be fine.

The website should also be mobile-friendly (obviously) and have scripts that are able to auto-sort based on the posting the user makes. They will still have the option to manually set it though. We can also filter keywords to avoid undesireable content. We can fund A LOT of this from advertising if it gets popular, including local lawyers across the world or whatever else. Everything.

So...what do you think? And if you steal my idea I'll sue you faster than a speeding bullet

rulesibreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd July 2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Ted GWL

Sounds like an ambitious project to me. It has real potential.

So the next step is for you to commit your ideas to paper so that the plan becomes clear.

Then assemble a team of people who is going to make the idea a reality.

Then begin implementing your plan.

And, I wouldn't worry about someone stealing your idea. There are a million big ideas of which any one of them would make someone a millionaire. The problem is that less than 1% of the people are actually ambitious enough to act on their idea. Most people are dreamers. They dream big but act little.

I can assure you that if you actually act on your idea immediately, you won't need to worry about someone else building it into a successful business. You will have beat them to it.

Good luck.