Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th December 2005, 03:38 PM   #61
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default Day 16 - Yahoo! Search Marketing Enters the Game, I Debate About Self Promotion and

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006306.html

More than week weeks into The Lactivist experiment things were running pretty smoothly. That said, there was still plenty of room for improvement. To that end, I got down to business trying to come up with a plan for a public relations move, launched a new pay-per-click campaign with Yahoo! Search Marketing and decided to give Amazon's notoriously low-paying affiliate program a chance.

Old 6th December 2005, 01:49 PM   #62
pilkster

Hi Jennifer

I just popped along to offer some support for your great project. I have a couple of related sites and I use Google Alerts to provide me with newsworthy stories for the blog/news part of the sites, and your site popped up today in my inbox!

I would like to show support for what your project by offering you a free no strings cpanel account with stats on my server (if you are still looking), and also I would happily publish some promotional material on my sites (they have been around for a while and have PR around 4/5 and would offer you an increase in linkpop as well as traffic).

If you are interested, I may also be able to offer some paid writing work in this area.

Please PM/email to let me know if I can help, pilks

pilkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 01:59 PM   #63
thejenn

Default Day 17 - A Trip the Milk Bank, An Entrepreneur's Fear and a Renewed Determination

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006310.html

I've always believed that God knows exactly when you've reached your breaking point and will find some way to send someone or something into your life to help you get over that hump and get moving again. Day seventeen of the Lactivist project was the day that saw that belief tested...and proven. While struggling to deal with some fears and frustrations related to the project a simple trip to the milk bank gave me everything I needed to get moving one more time.

Old 6th December 2005, 02:18 PM   #64
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, pilkster!

Old 6th December 2005, 02:24 PM   #65
olebob

Hi Jenn,
I'm still following along with your project and it's progressing well.
I notice that you have no Title tag in the blog. It's displaying the url as the title.
Looks like you'll need to edit the template and add it in.
Also, the meta keywords and description tags are using the post titles.
You could edit out the (perhaps just for the index page?) auto fill tags and use your own.

Now, about your eBay adventure...
Glad to see you got 3 bids and made the sale.
If your experience leads you to continue the auctions, I'd suggest posting more auctions per session. You need to get your sold count and feedback ratings up. That 0 (now 1) beside your username holds people back from bidding.

Just some points I wanted to mention, hope it's helpful.

You may want to consider my software in my sig to add special Newsreader Links to your blog And promote for sale. You can upload the salespage and link to it as I did on my blog where I titled the area as Newsreader Links.
Use my contact form on my blog and I'll send you a copy. It's another source of income without having to blatently advertise it.

Bob

olebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 05:11 PM   #66
pilkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Welcome to the forum, pilkster!
Thanks Robert!

Ive been having a look around - great community you have here.

Looking forward to sharing some ideas with you all - pilks

pilkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 02:49 AM   #67
thejenn

Hey guys, welcome aboard!

Quote:
I notice that you have no Title tag in the blog. It's displaying the url as the title.
Looks like you'll need to edit the template and add it in.
Also, the meta keywords and description tags are using the post titles.
And I see you've noticed one of the limitations of Blogger. You'd think that blog software owned by Google would actually allow you to edit the title tag on your blog index page...

Alas, I had to dig up code fixes just to get ANY meta tags and the only open I had was to use the post titles...so now, it wasn't intentional to not have them, it's just not possible to do with Blogger.

Old 7th December 2005, 10:16 AM   #68
joewaters

Default Amazon/Chitika and Adsense On The Same Page?

Hi Jennifer!

I have been following your series and have found it very interesting and informative. Like the others I await the latest dispatch daily.... Keep it up!

I noticed that on Day 16 you mentioned adding the Amazon Afilliate program to your blog. You chose to use the Amazon selected ads rather than choosing specific products yourself.

My question is - is this permitted by the Adsense program policies? I have seen a number of posts that mention that in order to use Adsense with Amazon and/or Chitika you must first disable the contextual targetting features of those services.

The following is from the Adsense TOS :

Quote:
We do not permit Google ads or search boxes accessing Google search services to be published on web pages that also contain what could be considered competing ads or services. If you have elected to receive contextually-targeted Google ads, this would include all other contextually-targeted ads or links on the same page as Google ads.

Last edited by joewaters; 7th December 2005 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling
joewaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 12:31 PM   #69
Robert
Administrator

Chitika ads by default are in non-contextual mode, so she's fine there.

The only questions is, did Jennifer have to choose keywords or specificy a category for her Amazon ads? If so, she's likely fine there as well because Amazon is relying on her to tell them the type of ads to deliver, not the page the ads are on.

As far as I know, Amazon doesn't analyze the page, but we'll wait for Jennifer to confirm that.

Welcome to the forum, Joe!

Old 7th December 2005, 12:45 PM   #70
Robert
Administrator

I just logged in to my amazon.com account (it's been a while) to make sure nothing has changed.

Amazon.com doesn't read the content of the page and deliver ads based on that. Affiliates do have to provide keywords or categories so it's not a competing contextual ad program that vioates the AdSense terms of service.