Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th February 2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Jaime M.

Default Ways To Stop Affiliate Commission Theft

To start off, not all link theft is intentional. Sometimes it is just the webmaster not knowing that the way he/she has set up his/her link directory will not provide search engine link benefit to anyone that links to them. Although, some link theft can be very intentional. The webmaster knows exactly what he/she is doing.

Stealing of links can be easy to do, affiliates replace your affiliate link with theirs. And there goes your commission. By-passing of links can be easy to do also. When users discover the real domain name of the product, they will just go to the site directly, and again you will lose valuable commission.

By following the suggestions below you can make sure that you will not be the next victim of commission theft:

#1.) If a website asks you to exchange links, DO NOT link to them to them until they have given you the URL location of your link in their link directory. If you link to them first they may forget to add your link.

#2.) Also offer a enticing bonus/incentive on your site to all those who order thru your link, and then require them to supply their receipt in order to obtain the bonus. If you have a compelling incentive/bonus (such as a special report, membership, coaching, services, etc.) that you offer as a bonus when visitors order thru your affiliate link, you will remove the vast majority of the risk. (Because the only way to access your bonus is by the visitor using your affiliate link to order). The greater the bonus, the greater the decrease of commission theft.

In closing there is no reason to leave your business vulnerable to this kind of theft when you can easily protect your business. I'm not trying to worry you. It is, what it is. We've all seen the statistics that affiliates are losing anywhere from 10-40% of commissions because of affiliate link by-passing or stealing. This a real problem for affiliate marketers. That is why I cloak all my affiliate links! If you feel you are not getting the sales you incur, you should really look into investing in a high grade affiliate link cloaker.

All the Best To You,
Jaime M.

Jaime M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st February 2010, 08:07 AM   #2
JasonCase24

No kidding! You've got a brilliant idea presented on #2. Receipt in exchange of bonuses. Well, that can be your best assurance that you really got your commission from their purchase.

Last edited by JasonCase24; 28th February 2010 at 07:21 AM.
JasonCase24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
eww

Default How can this be done???

I don't get it. How can someone steal your affiliate commission ? They don't have access to your FTP info, or blogger account info, so they can't change the affiliate tracking code that is located within your site or blog. If they copy your affiliate code and paste it within their site/blog and change the tracking id to their id, they may get commission if they are enrolled in said merchant's program and they get a sale (via traffic to their site). Am I missing something?

Old 23rd February 2010, 01:50 AM   #4
allisa

Thanks for the info I am an affiliate and I haven't made any thing to speak of 2 sales in 8 mths so hopefully you're right.

allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Yeah I donīt follow either, my affiliates are integrated into my website via a database, you would need my website log in to hijack that, my affiliate id is within my URL, change that then you give comission to someone else but my users wouldnīt do that either, most wouldnīt know how!

Besides, I am very shortly going to change my URLs so you cannot see information within it.

To get into my affiliate account you need my password and all my passwords are 12 characters using letters and numbers in upper and lower case they are very confusing even for me!

I heard on the grapevine, passwords 6 characters or less now only take 2 hours to crack if they are lower case and without numbers or special characters.

I just recently changed all my passwords (1200) because I use social media a lot. Social media seems to be where the spam is coming in from more these days.

Simone

Old 13th April 2011, 12:34 PM   #6
davidm4210

good advice!

davidm4210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 03:06 PM   #7
CodyLoco

I think they are referring to doing the work to post on other sites, and then that site owner/manager changing out the affiliate links...

Such as if you wrote and posted an article on a tech blog, for ex, and the blog owner changed out the links you dropped in there for commissions and then you loose your content AND commissions...

For #2, I've seen lots of people used to do this with hosting - since they were/are paying $100/sale, you would get visitors to buy the plan, then offer them a $50 rebate by email /paypal after they signed up and confirmed the sale...

I think though that's against most advertiser's TOS now...

CodyLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 04:19 AM   #8
trendisle

Always read the TOS (terms of service) and affiliate agreement. Sometimes you'll find outrageous payment thresholds that allows the vendor to legally keep your money until you reach that threshold! Other times the vendor charges a huge "accounting fee" just to cut you your check.

trendisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 07:54 PM   #9
imagodev

Send a message via Skype™ to imagodev

The idea of having a special bonus for receipt submitted from purchase is quite nice. I think I'll consider that option.

Thank you very much for your bright ideas.

imagodev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 12:14 AM   #10
asr_guy

Most commission theft is done by bad affiliates ripping off merchants (not other affiliates). But it also hurts the honest affiliates because the merchants lose profits that they could have otherwise used to pay higher commissions.

For example "typo domain affiliates" are really bad - affiliates that buy typo domains of the merchant and simply steal from them.

Yes it's against the terms of service of most affiliate programs and yes it's illegal - because it works and can't easily be stopped, unless you find out who the affiliates are.

asr_guy is offline   Reply With Quote