Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Small Business Finance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th May 2008, 08:25 PM   #1
katzsales

Default Point Of Sale/ Cash Register - Software Setup?

Okay, here goes; We recently acquired a small business, & are in need of some advice.

This is a "Dollar Store" type business, 3000 sq. ft., turn key, already set up to go. (Mostly). It came with Quickbooks 2006 (Retail vers. I think) but that system uses a pc interface with a mouse/keyboard set to make the actual sales.

We want to go with a "standard cash register" setup that will also track inventory sales, etc. I really know nothing about this stuff at all. The Quickbooks guy tells us that their software is not compatible with any type of standard cash register. Is this correct? Sounds kinda bogus to me, but then again, what do I know.

Any ideas at all? Suggestions? Comments? Again, the store is pretty much set up & ready to go, we could open the doors tomorrow, but we just don't care for the convoluted cash register system that we currently have.

Thanks in advance,
katzsales

katzsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st May 2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Sonomapride

Send a message via AIM to Sonomapride
Default POS options

I would suggest purchasing Quickbooks POS system. It is a one-box set-up that works with your Quickbooks. It includes the POS Register. I used to sell alot of them to a local chain of Nail Shops in my town when I worked at Office Depot. The owner of the business loved them and bought about 5 or 8 in total.

Sonomapride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 12:14 PM   #3
katzsales

I will check into that Quickbooks POS system. I wonder why the Quickbooks guy didn't mention that to us when we spoke to them on the phone.

Does that system supply many different departments & inventory tracking as well. Can we use a handheld barcode scanner with it?

katzsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 12:56 PM   #4
MerchantFunding

Microsoft has a good POS system as well.

MerchantFunding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 01:48 PM   #5
ubcnorth

If you select the QuickBooks POS System I recommend that you get it with broadband connection (only if you have it in your store), because dial-up POS Systems in a lot of cases will slow down lines and potentially cause ghost transactions (transactions that are not accounted for) if you don't have a host capture network. Also make sure you ask about their POS on-site support and how much it cost per month or quarter.

Another thing to remember is that any credit card sale under $15.00 dollars signatures are not required, some platforms like FirstData Corp allow up to $25.00 dollars.

Hope this helps...

ubcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 12:19 PM   #6
GRPFunding

The only problem with a Quickbooks POS is that they lock you in with their preferred credit card processor. Because it's proprietary, you end up paying a lot more in credit card processing fees.

I'd recommend looking into something that runs on a platform that supports multiple processors.

I work with lots of restaurants that use these systems to track payroll, inventory, sales, etc.

They work great - and you can find them for relatively cheap.

I met a few distributors at my last trade show - if you're still looking - I can try to put you in touch with a few of them.

GRPFunding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 01:47 PM   #7
BobTHG

I would much rather have a cash register that I can export sales to Quickbooks from.

BobTHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:19 AM   #8
AndyGray

POS system from microsoft is really good provides all kind of solutions to your POS need.

AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Lex87

I do work for a company that sells many different brands of pos system software.

Quickbooks POS would marry with your current accounting setup, without any major efforts so in that regard you have a reason to look at them.

Microsoft's POS was designed by a nutty owner of a chain of grocery stores in the US. I won't recommend it to anyone that doesn't fit the model of grocery and loves boring overly complex software. Certainly not a "dollar store" type of retail.

Speaking of running a dollar store, you need to scan items for speed and accuracy but most items are too small, not barcoded, or simply not worth the time to track as they are a one-time order? Most of your sales would be best with pressing a couple large pre-set price keys than anyone can understand in 2 minutes of training? You don't sell anything by weight, and you have no rentals, no tables, no meals to split up?

You can see I'm not a rookie to this..

If I was you I'd look for an open source touch screen based solution. Any solution you look at will have to support exporting data to Quickbooks, but contrary to the Quickbooks support you spoke to, this is more common than rare. Even if going open source doesn't give you a final solution, it will give you all the info you need to find a final solution as you will be aware of what you want/don't want.

If you don't have the resources or skills to implement an open source solution you will want to start looking at demos of the software that the local companies sell. At that point it also becomes interesting as to support options since you're now relying on another company to keep yours running. Now you can see why I suggested open source first.

Good luck!

Lex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Lex87

I think I lost my post?

I just wanted to say that the only thing you should consider Quick Books' POS for is because it would be easy to interface with the accounting.

Most of the time when I ask if a pos system will talk to Quick Books I find that it will export to a format that Quick Books will read. Problem avoided..

Microsoft POS is crap. It was written for a grocery chain in the US and it's confusing, boring, overly complex crap. (sorry Bill, here's a tissue)

I would really push of an open pos system so that you can feel out what you need/don't and without paying lots.

The only catch to open pos is that you need nerd skills and time to set it up. Sometimes if you want things done right you have to do them yourself?

Lex87 is offline   Reply With Quote