Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st October 2015, 03:55 PM   #1
Motive

Default What Do You Guys Do About Obstacles In SEO?

Basically, lets say different websites that haven't been updated in a while or profiles/pages are using words that are included in your business name or even your whole business name .. and every time someone searches for your business, they get random old pages of forum profiles, youtube channels, old facebook posts, and various other old links that are not qualified to be "dead links" , thus not eligble for removal by google.

What do you guys do? Or what can be done?

Motive is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:14 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Assuming you can't remove these older pages (thereby making them legitimate 404s), about the only thing you can do is to work extra hard to make sure more current pages are better optimized (i.e. stronger content, with solid earned editorial links pointing to each page). With a little luck, your newer/stronger pages will be able to push the older pages further down.

If you make your current page titles and snippets particularly enticing, they may attract clicks that would otherwise go to the old FB page or YouTube channel, even if you don't manage to push the outdated pages totally out of the running.

Realistically, though, if you're competing with the likes of FB, YouTube or even a moderately large and well-aged forum, you're probably facing an uphill battle. That's not to say it can't be won, but it's going to take a focused effort on your part.

Ultimately, though, there's nothing you can do to force Google, Bing, et. al. to show the pages you want. You can suggest, you can try to influence, but in the end they're going to show what they think should be shown -- which may or may not be what you want them to include. The best you can do is make your current pages the best they can be, and promote them the best way you can, and let the chips fall where they may.

My

--Torka

Old 4th October 2015, 01:21 PM   #3
Taluk

It's not an easy world out there in SEO. You have to give it an amount of time to get rid from this kind of problems.
But, in my eyes, SEO is mostly about page ranks and stuff. This old posts have earn their way up here, although it bothers me too but I don't mind.

Taluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 09:01 PM   #4
Motive

Thanks a bunch for the replies. I think you guys answered my question pretty well. So basically since my websites a bit newer its just that the page rank is not there yet due to not having as many clicks as these previous links, despite them being pretty insignificant pages ..

I guess I'll just have to send some more traffic at my website :P

Old 5th October 2015, 02:53 AM   #5
saiburi

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Assuming you can't remove these older pages (thereby making them legitimate 404s), about the only thing you can do is to work extra hard to make sure more current pages are better optimized (i.e. stronger content, with solid earned editorial links pointing to each page). With a little luck, your newer/stronger pages will be able to push the older pages further down.

If you make your current page titles and snippets particularly enticing, they may attract clicks that would otherwise go to the old FB page or YouTube channel, even if you don't manage to push the outdated pages totally out of the running.

Realistically, though, if you're competing with the likes of FB, YouTube or even a moderately large and well-aged forum, you're probably facing an uphill battle. That's not to say it can't be won, but it's going to take a focused effort on your part.

Ultimately, though, there's nothing you can do to force Google, Bing, et. al. to show the pages you want. You can suggest, you can try to influence, but in the end they're going to show what they think should be shown -- which may or may not be what you want them to include. The best you can do is make your current pages the best they can be, and promote them the best way you can, and let the chips fall where they may.

My

--Torka
Thanking for giving the information. It is very useful.

saiburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 02:34 PM   #6
torka

Not exactly. To clear up a minor misconception: PageRank (and rankings) have nothing to do with the number of clicks you get.

"Getting more clicks" is the result of optimization, not an optimization tactic.

PageRank (as in the Google ranking factor) is computed based entirely on the number and strength of the links pointing to your pages. The thing is, the main factor is the quality of the links, not the quantity. Which means all the outdated "link building" advice you're going to get (forum posting, social bookmarking, free classified ad sites, blog commenting, etc.) will not help.

You need earned editorial links -- that is, links that other people place on their websites because they want to share your pages with their visitors. Links you "build" yourself are never going to get you where you want to be.

--Torka

Old 5th October 2015, 07:47 PM   #7
Motive

Quote:
Not exactly. To clear up a minor misconception: PageRank (and rankings) have nothing to do with the number of clicks you get.

"Getting more clicks" is the result of optimization, not an optimization tactic.

PageRank (as in the Google ranking factor) is computed based entirely on the number and strength of the links pointing to your pages. The thing is, the main factor is the quality of the links, not the quantity. Which means all the outdated "link building" advice you're going to get (forum posting, social bookmarking, free classified ad sites, blog commenting, etc.) will not help.

You need earned editorial links -- that is, links that other people place on their websites because they want to share your pages with their visitors. Links you "build" yourself are never going to get you where you want to be.

--Torka

Well the specific websites that show up in google above my website when typing in my business name have nothing to do with link building lol.

They're random pages from facebook posts.. Random posts on other websites and youtube channels that have almost no content and have been inactive for almost 10 years...just the channel name is similar to my business name

Old 5th October 2015, 10:13 PM   #8
torka

Well, looks as though it's time for some tough love, then.

Clearly, for this particular search query, Google thinks these other pages are better than yours. It doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks -- the only opinion that matters in this case is Google's, and they have spoken.

Your job, then, is to convince them otherwise.

You need to dig deep and make your pages a lot better if you want to beat out YouTube or FB. More clicks will not help you. "Building" a bunch of low-quality links will not help you. Checking rankings will not help you.

Stop trying to find some quick and easy magic trick to "skyrocket" your site to the top of the rankings. If you're going to get where you want to be strictly through organic optimization, you're looking at a long slog. Lots of hard work. SEO is not an easy overnight operation. There are no shortcuts.

You need to make sure your code doesn't present any impediments to the spiders. You need to craft excellent, awesome, amazing content. You need to attract earned editorial links. (Fortunately, it doesn't take many of those to have an effect -- if they're truly good links to start with. On the other hand, if they're low-quality "built" links, it doesn't really matter how many you get, because they're not going to help enough to beat YouTube or FB.)

Don't waste your time trying to get more clicks. Don't waste your time checking rankings. Don't waste your time trying to imitate your competitors.

Devote your energy and attention to making your own site the absolute best it can be. Tighten up your content. Advertise. Build relationships with other webmasters. Test every day to improve your conversion rates.

If you're going to measure KPIs, try traffic sources, traffic levels, revenue per visit, and conversions. Improvements in those will mean a whole lot more to your ultimate success than changes in your apparent rankings.

My

--Torka

Old 5th October 2015, 10:19 PM   #9
Motive

Quote:
Well, looks as though it's time for some tough love, then.

Clearly, for this particular search query, Google thinks these other pages are better than yours. It doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks -- the only opinion that matters in this case is Google's, and they have spoken.

Your job, then, is to convince them otherwise.

You need to dig deep and make your pages a lot better if you want to beat out YouTube or FB. More clicks will not help you. "Building" a bunch of low-quality links will not help you. Checking rankings will not help you.

Stop trying to find some quick and easy magic trick to "skyrocket" your site to the top of the rankings. If you're going to get where you want to be strictly through organic optimization, you're looking at a long slog. Lots of hard work. SEO is not an easy overnight operation. There are no shortcuts.

You need to make sure your code doesn't present any impediments to the spiders. You need to craft excellent, awesome, amazing content. You need to attract earned editorial links. (Fortunately, it doesn't take many of those to have an effect -- if they're truly good links to start with. On the other hand, if they're low-quality "built" links, it doesn't really matter how many you get, because they're not going to help enough to beat YouTube or FB.)

Don't waste your time trying to get more clicks. Don't waste your time checking rankings. Don't waste your time trying to imitate your competitors.

Devote your energy and attention to making your own site the absolute best it can be. Tighten up your content. Advertise. Build relationships with other webmasters. Test every day to improve your conversion rates.

If you're going to measure KPIs, try traffic sources, traffic levels, revenue per visit, and conversions. Improvements in those will mean a whole lot more to your ultimate success than changes in your apparent rankings.

My

--Torka
Hey, I appreciate the post. But really your advice went from helpful to non-helpful real fast. I feel like I'm reading a generalized article..

"Clearly google thinks those pages are better than yours (in bold)" .. not sure if your'e trying to be helpful or condescending

and you keep saying things about content.. It's a design firm. we simply provide services... what do you mean content? It's not a blog or a website with articles.. what content ?????

"Stop trying to find a quick and easy method to skyrocket your site to the top of the rankings"...E xcuse me? Thats NOT what I'm trying to do at all.

Thanks anyways.. But I think this veered off in the wrong direction

Old 5th October 2015, 10:40 PM   #10
torka

Sorry if you find my advice too general, but I don't offer individualized SEO consulting for free.

Content is not just article or blog posts. Content consists of all the words on your pages, alternate text for linked images, video transcripts, etc. If you want to have a well-ranking website, it has to have content.

Rankings are not just about links. If you want good rankings, you must have a balance of excellent content and earned links.

Quote:
"Stop trying to find a quick and easy method to skyrocket your site to the top of the rankings"...E xcuse me? Thats NOT what I'm trying to do at all.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but that's exactly what it looks like from here. Your pages are outranked by (according to you) irrelevant old FB posts and ancient YouTube video channels. I tell you that if you want to do better, you need better content and stronger editorial links (i.e. the basic foundations of good SEO) -- and you reject my advice.

So what exactly were you expecting?

--Torka