Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th June 2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Default Links and off page techniques

Links and off page strategies lend your site credibility and put it amongst a thematic cohort where it is viewed as one of the larger group, gaining a presence and authenticity.

I try not to tinker too much with established content, instead just add newer, quality content regularly.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:47 PM   #12
glaciergirl

Red face ya, totally

LOgan - I am glad to hear you say that, which is what I kept telling my little boss but he kept saying that google would have crawled the entire site. I was like, no it didn't crawl it at all. THen I confirmed that yesterday with the site:domainsearch. (or whatever its called)

Yes, adding articles to link to town2 is on the roster of things to do. But my guess is that I will see sweet rankings before too long without it. (I still intend on getting some links into it)
Town1 is popular but smaller. In google, town1 gets 350,000 pages in the search and town2 gets 470,000 (so you are right again here where town1 has less sites linked to it and my rankings were thru the roof....well I guess waiting to see how town2 ranks will really tell this)

Killersneakers - I did a lot of keyword research for both towns and all the things I have written for SEO so far (which is funny because I'm becoming a pretty decent SEO after having zero experience and entering the scene of SEO/Content Writing 6 months ago.)
The original post about town1 doing well and town2 actually seeing decline in many keywords.... for town1 - we are talking about based on about 58 keyword phrases for town1, prior to the content addition, there were 9 keyword phrases that were on page 1 (top 10 - but all lower fold). The other rankings were between the 30's to as high as 150's for the most part. many were very high. Now I have 39 keyword phrases with ranks of 3 or better. I had phrases jump as many as 183 places in rank. Town1's results were pretty exciting.

glaciergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 02:09 PM   #13
JoshAk

Default Do you have an XML sitemap?

If the issue is with indexing there are a few things you can do to speed up the process.

1. The best option is to add links pointing to that page. when GoogleBot finds new links it follows them if it keeps running across new links to your page it will index it much faster.

2. XML sitemap, you can use a sitemap to let Google know you have new content this doesn't guarantee indexing, but if it is good unique content Google typically wants it in their index.

3. Pinging you can ping the search engines as well, this is typically done with blogs (it's built into Wordpress) so I haven't looked at in a while for static sites.

Also note adding links to town2 won't hurt the rankings of town1 unless you are removing links to town1 and directing them to town2.

Hope this helps,

Josh

JoshAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 03:27 PM   #14
celinar

Sometimes its happen while you change your inner page content, but one thing remember don't change your title, description & keywords of your website, if you did than you surely loose your ranking

celinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 05:02 AM   #15
goldie.sachs

Default New Content Hurts Rankings

New Content Hurts Rankings.

Of course it does.

It takes time for the robots to re-evaluate you.

Seems obvious.

goldie.sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 02:56 AM   #16
musicworld1

The exploitation of search engines today is a serious issue, but, like it or not, most businesses see it as something that must be done -- an online business imperative. To exploit a search engine, however, most organizations must exploit a search engine optimization company. In these arrangements, exploitation, or the gaining of something for nothing, becomes the central theme for interaction between client and SEO provider.

Thousands of SEO providers are now in business, and each ranking promiser is more famous than the next. For numerous of these service providers, quality is not an issue. What matters is making promises that beat the competition and win them the client. Faced with these enormous and often unreasonable pressures, ethical SEOs will withdraw from an optimization project. Unethical SEOs, however, will take on the project, saying, "No problem. I'll take care of it."

musicworld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 06:33 AM   #17
techmodi

Default Content is Not the Alone Factor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidroof View Post
Let us have a brainstorming session that how the content works?

When we launch a new website with fresh contents, after some time it is crawled by search engines. Now crawler based search engine will index the website in the following manner:

-will update the listings of websites with new website in the database
-will update each and every word in its dictionary

Now when a user will search for a query regarding any keyword, search engine will look up for all the websites having similar contents and will display the results relevant to searched keyword.

We can now conclude that content of the website is having the importance. The more you are relevant to the searched phrase the more chances you will have to have a better SERP.

Here lies a simple logic for searching the results via the search engines.

But now the question rises why we need to go for the off-page activities like Article submissions etc?

I agree to the value of content you explained. Actually search engines like Google value a lot to content but content is not whole and sole. Hope you have gone through some of websites in SERP's where the website doesn’t have good content still they rank well because of good back links (may be earned through link exchange because content may not be good enough).

The back links from blog writing, article submission website, forum website all are valued by search engines like Google.

Apart form this, off page activities like article submission, forums discuss and blog writing are very important for traffic generation.

The content on the web page is no doubt an important factor but not everything. It could be the case that good ranking result for your keyword may not give as much traffic as you get through the off page activities like article submission, forum discussion, blog writing and more. So content is not the alone factor.

techmodi is offline   Reply With Quote