Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th June 2007, 09:59 AM   #1
shyampc

Default Social Bookmarking And Traffic

After I bookmarked my websites to 100 social bookmarking websites, I could notice a huge difference in traffic for many days. This also helped me in conversions at those days.

I had hired an experienced person to do the job of submission, and the amount spent on this was really worth.

Now I want to do this again. But, are there any ways to submit the same websites to those social bookmarking websites and get the traffic and conversions again and again? Are there any suggestions to do this?

I am now planning to create blogs and display products there. Then I will be able to submit those blogs to these websites. Will this help?

shyampc is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th July 2007, 08:26 AM   #2
gibsonnerd

For the community, could you suggest who you used, what they charged and how much of a bump in traffic you received?

It also might be helpful to define your businesses/audience and what type of traffic you normally see.

Thanks!

gibsonnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 06:06 AM   #3
juan

Where can you find these social directories you have bookmarked your
website?

Thank you

juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Here are some social networking sites. Another list is at wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rking_websites

By no means are these exhaustive lists, often searching based on your topic/keywords related to social networking will also help you uncover where others are already communicating about your subjects.

Old 15th April 2008, 01:36 PM   #6
puti1

Hi James,
Very interesting....i had always wanted to know how to submit to so many social sites at one go! Will definitely have a look at Onlywire .

Thanks a lot!

puti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 04:11 AM   #7
rqlguevarra

Thank you I learn another strategy on making traffic. It is a great tip.

rqlguevarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 11:09 PM   #8
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampc View Post
Now I want to do this again. But, are there any ways to submit the same websites to those social bookmarking websites and get the traffic and conversions again and again? Are there any suggestions to do this?
Well, technically you didn't submit your site to these bookmarking sites. You submitted a page from your site. It may have been the default (home) page, but it was still just one page.

Create additional valuable, compelling content and you can submit the page that content lives on. Submitting crappy articles will likely not do much good, and if you submit too many of them, it could do harm to your online reputation.

The point of social sites is the "social" bit, and if you alienate people by trying to pump through a lot of crap, you'll lose the social benefit. "If a page is submitted to a social bookmarking site, but nobody sees it because they've all stopped paying attention to the submitter due to his spammy ways, will it get any traffic?" (Hint: not much)

Another thing that will alienate people is if you only submit your own stuff, and you never participate to submit or vote up anybody else's stuff. That makes you look like a "user", not a "participant."

The real value of social bookmarking sites happens when other people vote your submissions up. That's what gets your submissions noticed; that's what leads to the real traffic boosts. But that won't happen as effectively as it could unless they perceive you to be a valuable, bona-fide participant in the community. And the way to get them to perceive you as a bona-fide participant is, interestingly enough, to actually BE a bona-fide participant.

Here are the basic criteria for ongoing success in social media, IMO:
  • Any content you're submitting should be well-written, thoughtful, intelligent, interesting and useful.
  • Don't only submit your stuff. That looks spammy and manipulative. Find well-written, thoughtful, etc.etc.etc. content on sites you don't own and submit that. Maintain maybe a 10:1 (or better) ratio of outside content versus your own.
  • It's not simply a "push" medium -- by that I mean it's not all about submitting. "Friend" people. Read what they submit. Vote their submissions up when they appeal to you. They'll be more likely to read and vote up your submissions in turn.

My

--Torka

Old 5th May 2008, 08:50 AM   #9
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Schramko View Post
That "tailrank.com" isn't looking too healthy...

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 05:10 PM   #10
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Get a different company/account to submit them.

I have used this company Submit Edge.

From their $35 package:
125 Social Bookmarking Service - 9 Days
The Package is designed to submit your site to 125 High PR Social Sites and you`ve choice of 3 unique titles & 3 unique keywords / tag option.

I've used them and they are timely with their projects.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote