Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th May 2008, 12:08 AM   #11
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

He does not have as many links as some of the major players in the "Make Money Online" keyword phrase. He does not have as much content but yet outranks them. How?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th May 2008, 02:03 PM   #12
VERMINATER

Looks like his website is rich with the keyword make money online, it is in his title, description and well placed throughout his home page which helps give him better ranking.
Do a keyword search and when the results appear, click on the cached button at the end of his result and you will see how he has used the keywords make money online on his home page and how frequently he has done so.
Looking at the coding of his website and reading his keywords choice, if you use the keyword search for make money at home he is number 2.

By using a phrase rather than just individual keywords he has increased his catchment of people doing a wider variety of keyword searches.
So by using make money then using at home or online
he will get more hits.

Last edited by VERMINATER; 20th May 2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: additional
VERMINATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 01:28 PM   #13
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr
Default Yeah but.....

30,000 inbound links someone said! How in heaven's name can one build that many links!?!?!

S

Old 21st May 2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Logan
Administrator

With out going thru the top ten, I'm guessing the most established site in regards to links within that lot is bidvertiser

That is based on yahoo linkdomain, excluding links from their own site

30,000 is not out of reach for most after many years of work as this person has done, But in comparison, bidvertiser is on another scale when it comes to backlinks and the difference with carlocab has a lot to do with link text with make money online specifically. I would suspect though, based on my esperiences, that carlocab does well on other keywords also.

Quote:
How in heaven's name can one build that many links!?!?!
Just look by searching yahoo for the following

linkdomain:www.carlocab.com

Then select the pull down menu to exclude links from this domain.

If you look through his backlinks you will see the other pages linking to him.

A key factor = when you rank in the top 3 for a keyword like "make money online", then others are much more likely to link to you, etc. It gets easier the longer and more you do it ... good example. thanks for sharing homeseobiz! In your case, since this is a keyword you are targeting (based on your sig file) then you could go through the backlinks to a site like this and see if there are opportunities for you to also promote your offer in a similar manner.

For some history, checkout the site in archive.org. Nicely done from a viral standpoint, but curious if he is always going to be the kid who was 13.

Old 22nd May 2008, 06:10 PM   #15
$tipjanec

I don't believe this story. It is probably his father that is doing all the job and he is only the front man. Very Nice Idea.

$tipjanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 01:06 PM   #16
VERMINATER

Yet by getting the website url in to threads like this provides his website with even more links, it becomes self perpetuating, the more forums he can get talking about his site, the more links he gets.
The website itself is very basic and a few keyword checks actually show the phrase make money online is not that popular a keyword phrase compared to make money for instance, a phrase his site does not rank well for.
Getting your website noticed for a little used phrase is not hard.

VERMINATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 02:51 PM   #17
Logan
Administrator

I wouldn't say "make money online" is a little used phrase. I agree, as a rule of thumb a keyword like "make money" may have more traffic, but also as a rule of thumb a keyword phrase like "make money online" is going to convert better for a site than a keyword like "make money" and subsequently "money".

The more words within a keyword phrase, the more qualified the visitor is going to be based on my experiences. I don't think the keyword selection is an issue here, and actually some positives, imo.

According to WordTracker (http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/) right now they have "make money online" (939) as more popular than "make money" (919). I wouldn't go by that alone, but based on that if I wanted to be sure I would run a ppc campaign to gauge actual search volume. Looks to me though like "make money online" may be more popular than "make money" - and probably a more qualified visitor also. spot on right choice, imo

Competition in google for each (using exact quote search)

"make money" - 70,000,000
"make money online" - 11,900,000

So from the standpoint of popularity, competition and qualified visitor "make money online" is probably a better choice on all fronts.

Old 29th May 2008, 08:48 AM   #18
Grey Moth

can't see him on my engine on the 1st page

Grey Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 11:08 PM   #19
RayGoneFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Moth View Post
can't see him on my engine on the 1st page
Which engine is that? I see him on Google at #2 at the moment.

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 12:55 PM   #20
YearofMinutes

Wow, that's ridiculous. Good for him!

YearofMinutes is offline   Reply With Quote