Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th July 2016, 04:37 AM   #1
SerenMckay

Default What Is Meant By EMD (Exact Match Domain) Update?

What is meant by EMD (Exact Match Domain) update?

SerenMckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th July 2016, 04:21 AM   #2
Dmitrikara

It is supposed to devalue exact match domains, but in my humble opinion it only works for big niches. Still works pretty darn well for smaller less "important" semantic fields. If you ask me, if you're going for cash queries, an EMD should only a step in the whole optimization plan.

Dmitrikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 03:54 AM   #3
geekhibrid

It means you are using a particular keyword like "Balloon Lovers" as your domain name because you want this exact keyword domain to show up in the search results.

geekhibrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 02:02 AM   #4
JohnaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulrockers146 View Post
exact match domain is the algorithm of google when two domain name looks like same then EMD separates their domain or page authority.
That's not true..

Quote:
The EMD Update — for “Exact Match Domain” — is a filter Google launched in September 2012 to prevent poor quality sites from ranking well simply because they had words that match search terms in their domain names.

JohnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 02:18 AM   #5
jeffscott
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulrockers146 View Post
exact match domain is the algorithm of google when two domain name looks like same then EMD separates their domain or page authority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnaD View Post
That's not true..
Why? Kindly support your statement for the members to know what is your side concerning the post from the member.

Old 13th July 2016, 09:49 AM   #6
JohnaD

@Jeff,
for what I know, the EMD's goal is to avoid keyword stuffed domain names from gaining rankings because of those KW's. In my humble observations that is only partially true for high volume and highly competitive niches, but does work extremely good for niches with less volume.

For what I acknowledged from rahulrockers146, EMD does not separate domain authority between two similar domains, nor anything close to that. The EMD filter is supposed to battle domain KW stuffing.

JohnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 04:34 PM   #7
NoteBuyer

My understanding was it also looked at keyword density on back links? So naked urls are not punished

NoteBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 02:12 AM   #8
krishnanayak

EMD (Exact match domain) is highly relevant and specifically domain related to your website content as well as more reliable. when end user searches exactly matched keyword when searching your content.

krishnanayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 09:50 AM   #9
JohnaD

Sadly for what I know it does not really work as it should.. I'm not a professional in the field, but I spend a lot of time with our seo employees and that's what they claim.

Old 6th August 2016, 05:02 AM   #10
jameswrecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnanayak View Post
EMD (Exact match domain) is highly relevant and specifically domain related to your website content as well as more reliable. when end user searches exactly matched keyword when searching your content.
The clearest clarification, thanks

jameswrecky is offline   Reply With Quote