Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th March 2015, 08:46 PM   #1
Spider
VIP Contributor

Default Internal Links On Your Own Site

Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, but we'll try ---

You want to put a link on your Home page to an article on your site.

Home page :
Why Every Small Business Should Hire a Business Coach
Many small business owners struggle to grow their business. They feel they have to do everything themselves and it becomes overwhelming. There are many reasons to hire a business coach for your business. [Read more]

The "Read more" link goes to the article page on your site.

Now, 'Read more' is a pretty lousy anchor text and will, I suppose, result in the article page not showing well in serps.

You could change the 'Read more' to 'Why Every Small Business Should Hire a Business Coach' but that's cumbersome and doesn't look good.

You could link the title of the article to the article page in addition to 'Read more,' but then you have two links on your Home page to the same article page. Is that a problem?

I'm not sure how to best handle this. What would you do?

Last edited by Spider; 18th March 2015 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typo
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th March 2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, but we'll try

Now, 'Read more' is a pretty lousy anchor text and will, I suppose, result in the article page not showing well in serps.

You could change the 'Read more' to 'Why Every Small Business Should Hire a Business Coach' but that's cumbersome and doesn't look good.

You could link the title of the article to the article page in addition to 'Read more,' but then you have two links on your Home page to the same article page. Is that a problem?

I'm not sure how to best handle this. What would you do?
Yes, correct forum category.

I'd link with the title "Why Every Small Business Should Hire a Business Coach". Why cumbersome ... ermm. Also with css you can make it look ok. You may be bias re what looks good. Ask a hundred people, you get a hundred answers.

Problem with both? Not really, but it is going to add weight to link popularity associated with that url. 2 links to the page vs 1 link to the page. 2 is more important than 1. Maybe an issue if it reduces value of other links on the page.

Old 18th March 2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Spider
VIP Contributor

Thanks, Logan.

Cumbersome because I don't like the idea of the title twice - once at the beginning of the teaser and again at the end.

Also, 'Read more' is a better Call to Action, even though it is a poor anchor text.

Last edited by Spider; 18th March 2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 18th March 2015, 11:37 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Rule of thumb. When in doubt, do what you consider best for your users. Not the search engines.

Old 19th March 2015, 12:42 AM   #5
Jessica Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rule of thumb. When in doubt, do what you consider best for your users. Not the search engines.
I completely agree with you, we should have the content, design and everything proper for the user point of view and from search engine point of view.

Even I prefer Read more option, to link to my article or blog.

Jessica Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 08:46 AM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

As a user, I expect to be able to click on the title of the article excerpt and go to the full article. If you make the title non-clickable, you're going to lose some visitors because they'll click there, nothing happens and they'll assume your site is broken.

On the other hand, do not rely on them seeing and clicking on the "Read more" text, either. Even in real life, people overlook stuff all the time. In my experience, they do so even more online. If the only link is the "Read more" text, you're going to lose some visitors who overlook the link.

And some people will need to see the "Read more" link, because without it they may assume the excerpt is all there is.

So for good usability you need to have both.

It won't hurt you with the search engines to have more than one link to the internal page. It's been awhile since I've really worried about it to any great extent, but the last I checked, Google said they primarily paid attention to the first link to a page that they find on the other page. So if you linked both the title and "Read more" they'd probably find the title link first, and that would be the one they'd pay attention to.

See, they know about usability and how often it makes sense to have more than one link to an article. They're not going to penalize you for it, if that's a concern.

If you're still not happy with "Read more" as anchor text, you could try something like "Read the rest of [title]," which is what I do on one of the blogs I manage. Or whatever other text you think would be useful and enticing for your visitors.

Whatever you decide, I suggest you focus on doing what's most user-friendly for the humans visiting your site. (Which, for my money, is linking the title and providing some sort of "read more" link with the anchor text of your choosing.) Ultimately, that is what the search engines want.

--Torka

Old 19th March 2015, 11:50 AM   #7
bhartzer
VIP Contributor

Typically, I prefer to link only the title, since that has the right keywords worked into that title to help as anchor text.

You could also include "read more about X category" but honestly I just prefer to remove the "read more" entirely and just keep the first link, which is the title.

There's no need to have the title linked and another link via "read more" since Google only uses the first link to a URL on that page and ignores the additional links.

Old 19th March 2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Spider
VIP Contributor

Thanks everyone. I had it right in some places but not in others. Corrections under way.

Old 19th March 2015, 01:53 PM   #9
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Bill, linking the title only because "that's all Google cares about" is not a good idea unless the only thing you care about is the search engines. If you're at all concerned with usability, you'll include as many links as it takes to insure that visitors will be easily able to find and click through.

People expect to see a "read more" link (whatever the wording might be). It doesn't hurt anything, and it helps usability. Why on earth would anyone think it was a good idea to leave it out?

--Torka

Old 19th March 2015, 02:00 PM   #10
Logan
Administrator

Ask a hundred people, you get a hundred answers.

Torka, do you or Bill have a reference source on this

Quote:
Google only uses the first link to a URL on that page and ignores the additional links.
Based on my comments above, I missed that shift in standards ... can you verify or is this subjective?