Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th April 2015, 09:54 AM   #1
EricB
VIP Contributor

Default Need Feedback On New Concept

Hello,

I've come up with a new idea for a website that I am working on and am looking to get feedback from potential users. The website will be geared towards photographers and people looking for photographers. The idea is someone looking for a photographer would post their event on the website and what they are looking for. Then different photographers would reply to the even with what they can offer. The person would then select the photographer that matches with what they are looking for. Once the job has been completed the person would pay through the site and we would pay the photographer.

I'm looking for photographers or people looking for photographers to get honest feedback on the site I am building or even on the concept. I've worked with people offline, but I'm looking to get as much feedback as possible.

Thank you in advance!

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th April 2015, 03:43 PM   #2
kdaniel171
VIP Contributor

Hello, Eric.
Your concept is great!
I think no one else is doing it, so you have a good idea in your hands.
And it would help to save so much time when you need to find a photographer, you haven't heard about.

Good luck!

Old 18th July 2015, 09:27 AM   #3
Comm Realtor

Try it out on Facebook. It's free and you can spend money later to improve results if it works.

Comm Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 03:06 AM   #4
Taluk

Appreciate your new idea. Good luck with it. I got a question here. A person choose the photographer or a photographer choose the event? Or is it a mutual thing? I think it would be better if it's a mutual thing.

Taluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 08:37 AM   #5
EricB
VIP Contributor

It will be a mutual thing. Someone looking for a photographer can post a job and then photographers can decide to bid on it. The photographer decides to bid based on location, budget, or other needs of the customer.

Old 26th July 2015, 08:31 PM   #6
CfDoodles

Very interesting idea. How are you going about photographers who take the customers and contacts them off your service?

For instance, customer searches and finds the photographer that they want and reaches out to the photographers real site bypassing you.

I know some people on Freelancer who will post projects, get interest. PM them and redirect them to their own site. Then never award the project.

Just something to think about.

CfDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 08:09 AM   #7
EricB
VIP Contributor

It is definitely something on my mind and I've come up when a few different ideas to try and solve it. I won't know what works until I try them out though. If anyone else has ideas around how to solve for that I would love to here them.

Last edited by EricB; 27th July 2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 27th July 2015, 07:35 PM   #8
CfDoodles

Eric, my only thought was to charge the photographers a fee to be part of our group. Rather than taking a 2 or 3 % fee set up a subscription model where they pay 9.99 a month to be part of your group. 10 bucks a month is pretty cheap for advertisement on their end. You ad upsells that they can purchase an extra one time 10 dollar fee gets them kicked up the list etc.

Additionally, now you no longer depend of the photographers actually making a sale.

You sign up 1000 photographers, thats 10 grand a month or 120,000 a year basically passive.

Id invest in ads to drive sales to the photographers because then they will stick with you if they see its working.

Enjoy

CfDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 12:52 AM   #9
CodyDeegan
VIP Contributor

I think it is a splendid idea. I like that you have found your niche to focus on. How are you planning to market this?

CodyDeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 05:21 AM   #10
EricB
VIP Contributor

@CfDoodles I agree that a subscription model definitely sounds attractive, but after looking at how competition charges and talking with my target market, I don't think a subscription model is best suited for my market, at least not yet. Over time as the business evolves it is definitely something I want to explore. I want to limit the barrier to entry for photographers as well, since I am reliant on having them register to complete customer jobs.

@CodyDeegan Thank you! In terms of marketing, their are many components. I have to think of getting photographers to sign up first which so far has been a manual process of emailing and talking with them. For customers, it will be a bit more complicated. Not all customers will be looking for the same thing. I'll have some looking for a wedding photographer, others looking for maternity or newborn photographers, and all other types of photography. I'll probably start by focusing on a few niches and expand from their. My main marketing focus will be around Google and Facebook ads, building up content that the target audience would want to read about (which should help with SEO), going to wedding expos, etc. Any thoughts around that though are welcomed.