Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd September 2008, 04:50 PM   #11
spencer

It's not impossible, but it's hard to achieve. It will also depend on the niche your site is.

spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th September 2008, 04:29 PM   #12
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Try Craigs list: I got that because I saw the landing page vs. counter in my adds.

It takes time to build a good headline and script, so just be patient. But, they allow you place about 6-7 ads. in a major city free! (Goal: 6 ads. X 4 hits X 7 days)

also, it is a good place until you get the training wheels off your campaigns.

(some people say they don't do well with Craigs -- Alright.)

Last edited by viper_one; 12th September 2008 at 03:39 PM.
viper_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 06:33 AM   #13
BigSky

I seem to be the minority here, but I seem to get more than 5% usually on Yahoo Marketing. I was running a campaign to a survey last week and my total average CTR was 11.73% One group was 21.1%

What I did was go to the Google external tool typed in my primary keyword. I then exported all of the results to an Excel spreadsheet, edited out keywords that weren't focused on my topic (my topic was people searching for answers to a specific medical condition). I then grouped the keywords based on some commonalities (e.g. ski vs skiing, or learn vs where). I then wrote ads to that specific group with one actual keyword from the group in the headline. I should have split tested to try and get my CTR higher but it was a short run and I only had a small amount of time anyway so I left it be.

If you haven't read it Perry Marshal's Definitive Guide To Adwords is great as the ideas work on the other PPC engines as well. If you don't want to spend the $97 (I think that's the cost) he recently released an offline hardcopy version I think runs for less than $30. I think it's name is the Ultimate Guide To Google Adwords.

I must give a caveat as I am thinking of it here. My topic appears not to have a lot of competition and probably aided in the higher CTR's. Some of my groups also had around 2% but those were for more general terms. However, that being said, other campaigns I have run using a similar method as above have yielded me on average 5-10%.

Hope this helps!

BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 12:28 PM   #14
Chelsea Elm

For a niche topic you can expect up to 7% but 3-5% seems to be the usual from my own personal experience.
X C

Chelsea Elm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 06:26 PM   #15
bsha100

Bigsky, that sounds like a good strategy. You can definitely boost your relevancy to certain keywords with a little strategy, not to mention increase your clikc through rating.

bsha100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 07:41 PM   #16
ilexx

Talking Its not only about the CTR..

I think a 10% CTR is extremely high and if you are getting that then its great but I think it makes more sense to focus on getting a relatively high CTR for a very cost-effective ad campaign.

This means getting cheap clicks over and over again rather than HIGH CTR expensive clicks. Find out for what keywords you are getting real quality clicks for cheap and then just expand to different keyword phrases and work on it from there.

Building traffic is not the sole purpose of PPC advertising you want to think about how targeted your clicks are and how cheap they are. You really want to have cheap targeted traffic.

ilexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 07:25 PM   #17
rokomolokko

Hi there!

Does anybody know what would be the wellness industry average for CTR and click to action rates? I know it doesn't make sense to talk about averages, but I just need a range of values. I found some data saying that the CTR for this industry is around 0,1% and other data that talk about 2-3%. The difference is huge! I don't know what to do... I would also expect the CTA around 30%, would you say this makes any sense?
I'm studying the possibility of starting a website based on healthy lifestyle. I need this data to forecast revenues...

THANKS!!

rokomolokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 05:14 PM   #18
smallbizmkter

Hi Lynn, a 0.1% CTR is low - you should be at least 1% or more if your campaign is well optimized. 10% is possible, but would be achievable with very tightly grouped long-tail keywords and using exact and phrase match keyword options. Also make sure you are using negative keywords, especially if your keywords are mainly broad match.

The quality of the ad and call-to-action are also important, but this is probably not the reason for your low CTR - more likely the keywords.

Are you also running on the content network? Content network campaigns have a much lower CTR than search campaigns. If you have it running on both, you should separate into 2 campaigns - 1 for content and 1 for search.

Hope that helps.

smallbizmkter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:51 AM   #19
Keyword Geek

Can you produce a free report or white paper on the toughest problem your target market face?

If so, run ads for that and use your services as a back end the report as lead gen product.

Keyword Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 07:34 AM   #20
David Hawke

I've found PPC to be something that really needs a lot of attention and work. 10% click through rate is very possible but probably only for certain keywords.

Speaking of keywords... This is one of the the most important parts of a PPC campaign. The more research you put into your keywords the better your campaign will be.

Once your campaign is running for a while you can check the stats and see what keywords are working for you.

David Hawke is offline   Reply With Quote