Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th April 2009, 05:37 PM   #11
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

Good tips here, we learned most of these the hard way. No sense keeping campaigns for keywords that don't convert

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th May 2009, 08:34 PM   #12
jamie_g

They are very helpful tips .. Thanks for posting it here.

jamie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 04:48 PM   #13
NetbizCory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliusanderson View Post
Good tips, thanks for sharing them, can you provide some tips on white hat SEO
The best SEO tactics are (all say it with me now) build great content and provide great value. People link to that. Search engines like text that has content & value.

Other than that, share your own link love, use plain text on your site to talk about your core products, and spend time doing the tedious things that build links (commenting, list building, etc).

NetbizCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 02:01 PM   #14
lunartcorp

It is an excellent sequence of tips!

I would like to add one more, which is the most important after you have setup your ad in Google:

Watch your Keywords Quality Score

It determines your position and the cost of each click, regardless how much you are bidding. You can bid 1 dollar per click but paying only 20 cents/each when clicked.

Regards,

Jose

Old 15th July 2009, 08:53 PM   #15
spookycc

This pay per click information was very helpful to me, thank you! When I first began starting paying for PPC advertising, I ended up using a lot of keywords that were not optimizing the clicks through to my sites.

When I was paying for ad groups that involve high traffic, I had no idea of how to introduce split tests, since I thought the new ad might hurt the profits I was already managing. So I learned from a mentor online that I could only use ten to twenty percent of my impressions for the new ad, and use the rest for my existing ad.

Then I could use the ad that won and duplicate it, since AdWords rotates them evenly. This way, I could get a more predictable impression share when I used the winning ad more than once in my group.

Colleen

spookycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:20 AM   #16
bsfweb

Very useful tips. I use pay per click and couldnt advise it better myself.
good post

bsfweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:55 AM   #17
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by openeye View Post
6) Dont bid too high - Theres no point bidding at £2 per click if your budget is £10 per day. Try and work out the best bid prices which will get you the most amount of traffic per your budget e.g. can you get £10 worth of traffic per day by bidding at 50p and get 20 clicks - instead of bidding at £1 and getting 10 clicks.
I agree 100% with tips in this letter EXCEPT #6. In the very very beginning you will need to set the budget on in order to test certain variables (keywords, CPC, Ads, Landing Pages). BUT once your established - should be within 2weeks or so, if your still saying you need to have a Budget - something is WRONG.

You want your PPC Cash Machine to be running at a rate that for every dollar you put in your getting 2 or more out. Therefore if you limit your daily spend your limiting the daily potential revenue.

For my Adword Campaigns i have set a $27,000 daily limit. Why? Because I have my campaign running at a 300% ROI. For every dollar of ad spend I get three dollars in revenue. Why would I set a limit on that?

I want as much of that as I can possibly get every day.

When I hear people say they need to set a budget for their PPC that means that its not working.

Old 25th July 2009, 01:06 PM   #18
BioSolutions

Very Thorough list...My company is dong most of this kind of stuff on our own, specifically me, so this will be very useful. I know very little about Pay Per Click, but this helps a lot. I'm sure I will be referencing this post a lot. Thanks!

BioSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 08:51 PM   #19
royhunters

The post is right on the money, but keep in mind that 27% of the money you spend in pay-per-click is wasted in click fraud. We did an article on this subject. A good mix is to develop a paid placement banner on popular local sites. Some local magazines will allow you to do this on their website for a set fee per month and they are quite effective. Easy to stay on budget then. There is also paid to perform adds where you pay a commission on a sale if one is completed as a result of the click. These are the best as the banner is free until you actually get a sale. These work best for companies that provide a service that is generally quite expensive like house painting or roofing. Offering a $100 commission to a company hosting your banner is a pretty sweet deal for the owner of the webpage hosting that ad.

Bottom line, have a good mix to maximize the ad effectiveness and placement.

royhunters is offline   Reply With Quote