Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th November 2007, 06:00 AM   #1
Nirvana

Default 3rd Party PPC Tools

Can anyone recommend a good Pay Per Click tool? The standard Google Conversion tracker is not sufficient for us as it's next to impossible to track conversions where the customer returns to buy days or weeks later.

We've been trying out ConversionRuler, which is not bad, but it looks like it hasn't been under serious development for some time (ex: all the reviews come from 2003), and it's missing some features that would be very helpful.

What we need is a simple tool to monitor conversions from Adwords over time, and to tell us how often people leave our landing pages without clicking further into the site.

Any advice would be welcome.

Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th November 2007, 06:13 PM   #2
Steven_D

I was under the impression that google analytics has that tracking ability.

Personally, we add a cookie onto all new users PCs, the cookie lasts for 200 days and records where the user came from (google, referral etc) how many times they visited, how many pages they looked at, then when a purchase is made we suck the info from the cookie and save in a mysql table.

Has worked a treat as we can modify to suit.

Steven_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Nirvana

I thought about doing it myself, as you described, but that's too general. We're spending $1000+ per month on Google ads, with multiple ad groups / campaigns etc., as well as mailing lists. We need to know exactly which campaigns and groups are performing on which keywords, so we can adjust / alter as needed.

It's far too easy to spend too much on under performing keywords because you 'think' they work, or feel they 'should' work, just because the words sound important and relevant.

There are many products out there to help with this, but most of the market leaders cost a lot of money - Thousands of dollars. What I'd like to know is how smaller business' handle this.

Every cent paid for Google Ads needs to be monitored religiously - not haphazardly, or grouped with general searches. It's an entirely different ballgame because it costs so much money.

I've searched this forum and can't find any real information on this. Are people really just assuming that they 'know' what works, or are PPC budgets so low that they're just not considered that important?

I'm genuinely curious here, because when I started in depth analysis of our own figures, I found that it was NOT the words that 'should' have been good that turned out to be delivering real results, and by real results I don't mean click throughs, I mean sales (the 2 are NOT the same!).

The everyday freebie apps like Analytics and Statcounter are a complete waste of time for serious monitoring of paid for ad campaigns.

Last edited by Nirvana; 27th November 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Steven_D

hmmm, I have the solution to your problem to a degree but after that you would have to research further.

As with marketing offline in multiple magazines, newspapers etc, you should be applying a code to each ad, then you monitor how often a code appears.

Online, that is knowen as passing variables. Ill give you an example. In my backend system I enter the details for each of my ad campaigns, eg, diff signature links, strategic alliances with other sites, google PPC campaign 1, Google PPC campaign 2 etc

And for every different place I advertise my system gives me a different referral ID, so for each diff advertising campaign I use a diff URL eg walkoffwithyourcompetitorsmoney.com?r=1

You can see an example in my signature. Then my system records the new users details, and places the cookie on their PC which will last up to 200 days if they dont revist the site for 200 days my system will issue a new cookie next time they come.

Then when they buy I record the Unique ID of the buyer, and that is matched to the referral ID (?r=1)

This works well because it means that I can see which campaigns refer people, and how much those people spend over their lifetime not just the one visit. I have found that some sites give me good initial traffic, some give me good initial sales, and some provide me customers who return week after week and those are the campaigns that I continue to run.

Every 4 hours my system sends me an email, showing me where I got customers from, how much they spent, how much the add cost me for the four hours since my last report and any PPC costs for the four hours since the last report so I can ensure that I am at least breaking even.

This image will show you an example report
http://www.walkoffwithyourcompetitor...hourreport.jpg

And at anytime I want I can go into my backend and print off a report for certain regions, dates, spend limits, and I can see anything that is costing me money.

The thing about this is that, you have to know what you want and how you want it to work. There isnt a web developer alive with business skills that will match those of a seasoned pro, so you have to tell them what you want or you wont get it.

The only other thing that might be helpful to you, and I dont know beceause I dont use it is a program made by google called

Google AdWords Editor

It can connect to your adwords account, download info, you can make new campaigs through it etc.

Last edited by Steven_D; 27th November 2007 at 07:50 PM.
Steven_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 06:23 PM   #5
didi07

currently i only use exoclick , they have minimum pay out , at just $10... we can withdraw it pass by paypal. this is very impressive i think.

didi07 is offline   Reply With Quote