Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th November 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
mrmdk

Send a message via Skype™ to mrmdk

Default Local Marketing On A Budget

I'm trying to come up with effective, yet also very cost effective ways of marketing roadside assistance. Not a club, but an actual business offering assistance to anyone.

For the life of me, I just can't think of any way to do this. Something that when you run into the store and come out having locked your keys in your car, you will remember or find US rather than just picking a random towing company ( don't want to be a tow company ) out of the book or online listings.

It needs to be a visual that includes an identity that will stick in people's minds, or something that somehow can be in the hands of hundreds of thousands of drivers in a region.

Any ideas?

mrmdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th November 2013, 01:19 PM   #2
twhansbury

You dont want to be a tow company?
Strong local search, Adwords
If you are suggest heavy advertisement on the trucks and give people who you do service items that will help them contact you in the future such as a sticker to put on their car window

Old 25th November 2013, 01:58 PM   #3
mrmdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhansbury View Post
You dont want to be a tow company?
Strong local search, Adwords
If you are suggest heavy advertisement on the trucks and give people who you do service items that will help them contact you in the future such as a sticker to put on their car window
No, not tow company. Just roadside assistance... tire change, out of gas, lock out, jump start...

Tow trucks charge 50 - 100 dollars for that, it can be done faster for less.

The question is how to reach the largest possible audience, so they'll call you first, rather than picking a tow service out of yellow pages.

Old 26th November 2013, 10:32 AM   #4
twhansbury

1. I would reach out and partner with garages and gas stations in the area that do not provide towing services. A lot of work will come from them because that is who gets the calls.

2. Market yourself online with local search. Focus on mobile market. When people breakdown, locked out, they will use their cell phones to get help

Old 26th November 2013, 02:16 PM   #5
mrmdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhansbury View Post
1. I would reach out and partner with garages and gas stations in the area that do not provide towing services. A lot of work will come from them because that is who gets the calls.
Not a bad suggestion. Not fast, but over time, it could have a return.

Quote:
2. Market yourself online with local search. Focus on mobile market. When people breakdown, locked out, they will use their cell phones to get help
I may be a techie, but I am clueless at marketing. How do you target a specific area ( 10-30 zip codes) this way? Not that it would hurt you, just that it'll reach people who aren't inside your area and not reach people who are. In that, you compete with long established and well known towing companies for the customer's eye, and in terms of mobile, that eye has a very limited viewing distance. Google has a VERY tiny "first page" and when I tried searching, I got national auto clubs like AAA. Not helpful. I can't play their game, I need a different one

Old 12th December 2013, 09:14 PM   #6
bbasinski

Send a message via Skype™ to bbasinski

Invest in mobile marketing for sure. All you need is a mobile optimized website which is easy to develop or hire someone to do it (I would recommend hiring someone). It's easy an expensive.

Set up a Google Adwords campaign targeting your targeted area and find a list of keywords from the Google Adwords Keyword Planner tool and set up your ads and bids. You definitely want to be in the top 3 on mobile smartphones and you should start getting calls...the question is, how much are you going to charge for this service?

You need to run your numbers to determine if this is a viable business.

For instance, if someone locks their keys in their car, are they going to search for "roadside assistance" or "locksmith" or "keys locked in car".

You are competing with both local locksmiths and big companies like AAA.

The beauty of Google paid ads is usually when someone is searching, they NEED someone right away.

Your ad could say:
Locked Out of Car?
We'll be there in 30 minutes or less,
guaranteed. $35. Call now.

Or whatever your price is.

My biggest question is, how are you really going to make money with this business?

Are you a one man show? Do you have a team?

You need to run some numbers and figure out how much a customer is worth to you and how much you can spend to acquire that customer.

bbasinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 03:07 PM   #7
andrealbritton

Default Experiential Marketing

If you live in a busy city where you have large populated festivals look towards experiential marketing. It is basically setting up booths at these populated events to introduce your company to the general public. A lot of Fortune 500 companies hire marketing firms to do but it can be done on a local setting if you have a few weekends open.

andrealbritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 06:07 AM   #8
JoshThomas

I would start thinking viral content with opt-in options. Consider creating a Facebook Page, Pinterest, and SMS campaign that shares funny sights from the road in Warrenville. Start watching for funny car breakdowns, people struggling to open car doors, cars parked under no parking signs, and anything else that might get people to follow you, especially on their mobile devices.

If you find a way to capture phone numbers with permission to text them funny blurbs from the road, you are on your way. You will be in their inbox, making it easy for them to find your number when they need roadside assistance. Do some brainstorming and you will come up with something clever to capture your local communities attention and lead them to follow you.

JoshThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 05:08 PM   #9
adi004

Mobile website would be ideal for your business, Mobidart.com offers free mobile and desktop compatible website with a tap to call button so they can reach you easily, I also do believe that you should make sure that you specify only the services that you offer so as not to confuse your clients that you own a towing service.

adi004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 03:21 PM   #10
tvanslooten

There is some great advice here - concentrating on mobile and doing AdWords. The only problem with AdWords is that it can be very expensive so that might not be a viable option out of the gate.

The first thing you should do is have a site created that is mobile friendly. Then add your business to Google+ Local (used to be called Google Places). These are the listings that show up in Google Maps. They are also the listings that are prominently featured when you do a search on a mobile device

Then continue to add your business to other directories such as Bing, Yahoo! Local, Yelp, etc. etc.

I also like the advice someone else suggested about contacting local garages that don't have tow trucks.

Here's another idea (just trying to think outside the box)...what if you approached insurance sales people? I don't even know if they can legally do this, but what if they could hand out your business card (which would just be a mini flyer) to their auto insurance customers?

Or what about approaching Jiffy Lube and other "quick lube" stores in your area. They might allow you to put up a little stand with flyers.

How about car wash places? Can you leave flyers there?

The bottom line is this...in the online world you want to be where people can find you on their phone. That's going to require a website and being listed on various directories (and perhaps doing Adwords). In the offline world, you need to go places where people do things with their cars - garages, oil change places, car washes, car dealers maybe, etc.

Good luck!

Travis

tvanslooten is offline   Reply With Quote