Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd October 2013, 01:46 PM   #21
twhansbury

As said by most, app not needed more importantly for site to work on mobile units. To test check out the link below it will test and give yo feedback on your site.

http://ready.mobi/launch.jsp?locale=en_EN

Old 26th November 2013, 01:54 AM   #22
midavecom

Yes, you should have a version of your website for mobile visitors.

midavecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 07:31 PM   #23
cjbarnaby

Send a message via Skype™ to cjbarnaby

If you don't have a mobile responsive website you are throwing money away.

More and more people are searching on their phones and expect a quality of service.

If you have a site that is hopeless on mobiles or tablets you are losing them in a click.

It doesn't take much to have a responsive design... just get your site rebooted by a good designer with wordpress skills to install a responsive smart template.

Easy!

cjbarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 03:20 AM   #24
PremOutshine

Well, nice question! I was also wondering similar type of question and after certain research came to the conclusion that mobile websites also play a vital role in increasing traffic because at present about 60% people carry smart phones and they prefer to use mobile more than the desktops. No doubts, mobile apps are also helpful but not that to level as compared to mobile websites. Hence, I would say small companies really need mobile websites.

PremOutshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 03:48 AM   #25
cjbarnaby

Send a message via Skype™ to cjbarnaby

I just want to make something clear.

Any business could do well with a mobile website and some business *might* benefit from the use of a mobile app for their business.

If they do not have a website in the first place it's probably smarter just to have a responsive site rather than throw a lot of money at a mobile app.

Mobile apps are getting cheaper and cheaper to develop and cause a massive engagement in your business if you are updating your customer base often.

Outside of that there is little reason for a business to have a mobile app.

Better off engaging your customer base via an email newsletter that is informative and interesting to keep them onboard instead imho.

Cheers
C

cjbarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 04:02 PM   #26
JoshThomas

It depends on the business. For an accounting office an optimized mobile website is unneeded. They can use an adaptive Wordpress theme, or an HTML/CSS template that is mobile readable.

For a restaurant that wants to drive traffic in their doors, a simple mobile optimized site is adequate.

They want their site to be very readable and navigable when hungry patrons visit.

For an online seller that wants to make sales to mobile viewers, a highly optimized and efficient mobile site is a necessity. Their visitors will not buy if the site is not easy to use and creates a sense of confidence.

Our main efforts are to get opt-ins for SMS campaigns, so our sites are usually very simple to create. We use simple templates that look good and are easy to use for entering contact info.

JoshThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:27 AM   #27
sundynamic8

This is the question I've have been thinking of lately as well.

My site, http://www.kravly.com, is new and everytime I send it out to my friends and family, many of them would choose to view it with their mobile phones. I always to have then shoot them back a message saying that I didn't optimize it yet for mobile.

Fortunately, my site already has a responsive template code in it, so it automatically is formatted for mobile usage, but the problem is is that I haven't optimized it yet.

Things that are formatted for the desktop version, don't necessarily look right in the mobile responsive version. For example, you may have a top menu with many items, but when viewed on a responsive layout, the menu becomes a drop-down that may contain too many items. Thereby cluttering up the usage and not ideal for mobile.

I think what also needs to be factored in when creating a mobile/responsive version of your site is that you need to think about what type of content users are looking for when surfing a mobile version. (Thiis has been said in previous posts before as well.)

For example, how I use my mobile phone for surfing is primarily to look up information that I need right away. A lot of times, its things like, store locater, prices, product details. I rarely ever take too much time to consume huge amounts of information, and I hate it when I need to enter any information at all because well, a tiny 4-5 inch screen is not optimal for entering information.

So, if you can make your mobile site cater to those needs, I think it would be ideal.

Now that you have asked this question, I think that has to be a new priority of my things to do list as well, since I haven't optimized it for this.

My site consists of users who just browse and consume info and then there are users to create content which contains a lot of info, which I don't think is the ideal use case for mobile users, they'll just wait until they are at a desktop/laptop for entering lots of info. So I should cater more the those users who just browse, or want to create small items with minimal info. (But still provide the option for long usage if possible, since some users don't mind.)

Anyways, I hope this helps. My first post by the way!

sundynamic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 06:19 PM   #28
adi004

Default Small companies having mobile websites

I believe small businesses need to have mobile websites since every one is using their mobile phones for everything, and these small businesses should expand their market through the internet with a mobile website.

adi004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 12:35 PM   #29
Daniel_GA

Responsive Design is the way to go. 95% of sites have no need for a separate mobile only version of their website. It's 2014 and the market-share of viewership with older mobile devices is declining rapidly.

Daniel_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 12:43 PM   #30
davidpotter

Send a message via Yahoo to davidpotter

I am also interested in this issue. I've designed a website for my company.
follow me need to look into how people are viewing your site. If you are getting no view from mobile devices it doesnt matter however if your getting a few or a lot you need to make sure that your giving those users the best experience.

davidpotter is offline   Reply With Quote