Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th November 2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Transweb

Default Does A DMOZ Listing Help Your Website's Rankings?

I've asked this question on other forums and found different opinions, but does a DMOZ listing help your website's rankings?

For anyone who is already listed, are there really any clear benefits to being listed? Does it affect search engine ranking or traffic in any way or is it just a thing a web developer can brag about?

Also, I have submitted my site to DMOZ about 2 months ago and I am still not listed. How long does it usually take?

Thanks for your help.

Transweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th November 2008, 03:47 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

It will take anywhere from a few days to infinity to get listed. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees, no standard timeframe and not much you can do about it except submit and move on.

A link from DMOZ will help your rankings about as much as a link from any other large, reasonably well-respected directory will do, which is to say, not a whole lot.

More links from higher-quality sources are better than fewer, so getting a link from DMOZ is certainly not going to hurt your site. But if you're expecting some noticeable jump in rankings when/if a link to your site goes live, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Submit, following the guidelines as best you can. Then get on with your life and your other web marketing projects. Eventually your site will be listed (or maybe not). Either way, it's not worth spending any additional time over it.

My

--Torka

Old 27th November 2008, 01:58 AM   #3
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Getting listed in Dmoz directory can take one week to one year or more than that. As this directory is frequently visited by Google's robot, there is a greater chance of being cashed your website by google robot if you website listed in its directory. Furthermore, dmoz currently retain 8 PR and therefore you will get a quality inbound like for your website.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 02:14 AM   #4
prettyreplica

Send a message via Skype™ to prettyreplica

Yes,It help rankings!
but hard to link it!

prettyreplica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 07:22 PM   #5
khaty

It's better to get listed on DMoz than never tried, if you get listed then google will easily crawl your website because DMOz has PR 8 and can give your website a backlink.

khaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 09:30 PM   #6
johnpaint

It really helped a lot.It was probably the most help of any link that I have.It took me three signups and about 6 months to get it but it worked very good.The very week I got it my listing under key words went up about two pages worth.

johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 04:01 AM   #7
FrankPolenose

I totally agree with Torka - not worth worring about - submit to it and forget about it.

I used to get hung-up on wanting to be in DMOZ but it doens't bother me now. In fact I think I had one site accepted and another not and I really did follow the guidelines.

There are many rumours that you can pay to get listed quicker etc but this is probably just hearsay.

Get it if you can - don't be bothered if you can't.

Frank

FrankPolenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 11:49 AM   #8
johnpaint

I think the reason it is slow is because it is all volunteer work.

johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote