I am learning that bringing up the topic "backlinks" can really elicit strong discussion. It seems that nobody gives them out freely, everybody wants them, google doesn't use them but all SEO ranking systems judge you with them.
Does this confuse everyone as much as it does me?
I have decided everytime I read "How do I get good backlinks." I am going to translate that, in my head, to Torka's comment quoted
If you want good links to benefit your SEO for the long run, you must earn them
Then I will proceed to answer and think on how you earn them.
So the earning them question is kind of tough. If your site isn't noticed ( low SERPS ) then how will you get noticed? I am moving away from the "I hope I get noticed" approach.
I am trying this new strategy ( as I work on content quality )
- Find forums specific to your content
- Engage in those forums to get to know your community
- Try to interact directly with candidates for backlinks
- Interact with "competition" think of them as peers and partners
- Evaluate competition backlinks, they are candidates for your backlinks.
At the risk of hijacking this thread I would love feedback. I'll start a new thread if needed.