Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Domain Names
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th October 2006, 03:43 AM   #1
Kelvin
VIP Contributor

Default Multiple Domains And Sub-directories

Hi,
I have heard that you can have multiple domain names in one hosting or have various sub-directories within one hosting. Which would be better? For example, if someone wants to create a pure information site and then a marketing site, is it better to have it as multiple domain in one hosting or have one hosting and create sub-directories within it?

Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th October 2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I would create with subdomains with one hosting. When considering multiple unique domains, a couple concerns include

1) Cross linking can be identified as spam by search engines
2) Its tough to promote one site well, if multiple sites you get spread out.

I would suggest that if you are considering multiple domains for some reason, try to get one up and going well and then decide on subsequent from there. Without that, I would just keep things natural and put all my efforts towards one site by using subdomains. I think it is the safest/best route, in most scenarios.

Old 26th October 2006, 12:19 PM   #3
StupidScript
Administrator

I agree with Logan.

It's simple to register domains and point all of them to the same machine.

It's equally simple to register one domain and create subdirectories within that address space that provide different information.

The issue, as Logan noted, is mainly "what will the search engines think?" Mistakes made in this area can be very time-consuming to correct.

A secondary issue is "what will my potential clients/visitors think?" Maybe this is the primary issue?

I know that when I'm surfing around and I see a bunch of domains that represent the same company, their branding becomes diluted because I don't know which site is the "official" site. They're spreading their presence too thin. Whereas when I visit one site (domain) that is broken into sections (subdirectories), I feel that I get to know the company better and better with each click, and their brand is better-represented as a result.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 04:43 PM   #4
pete
VIP Contributor

We may be talking apples and oranges here. There are sub-directories and there are sub-DOMAINS. The difference -

Sub-directory - www.yoursite.com/yoursubdirectory/yourpage.html

Sub-domain - yoursubdirectory.yoursite.com Note - no www. needed.

In the structure of your portion of the host server, the setup is the same, the sub-domain is actually a sub-directory. But, by using your control panel to create a sub-domain (which point to the sub-directory), you do indeed increase your chances of scoring with the SE's.

Making the sub-domain the keyword for each topic you want to promote will put it right out there for the SE's. I have seen several articles wondering why this has been overlooked by so many, for so long. It seems mainly to be used by companies supplying cookie-cutter sites to affiliate, dealers, etc. But it is a good way to sub-divide your server, create what is a unique URL, and not have to register and pay for a seperate domain name.

I know they don't want to link to articles and such, so I'll simply say do a google for "subdomains and search engines" and see what you get.

The "tree" will be the same as a sub-directory, but the fact that it's treated as an entirely different site by the SE's and the web in general, makes it a great way to have a number of "sites" under one main domain name.

Keep it a secret, don't spread the word too far.......

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 02:04 AM   #5
Kelvin
VIP Contributor

Default SubDomains and SubDirectories

Thanks all. But I think what Pete says is the closest to what I have read. However I do not quite understand the following:

Quote:
In the structure of your portion of the host server, the setup is the same, the sub-domain is actually a sub-directory. But, by using your control panel to create a sub-domain (which point to the sub-directory), you do indeed increase your chances of scoring with the SE's.
What do you mean please? Is this a normal sectional website we are talking about?

Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 03:20 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

I think pete is just explaining how a subdomain works and that it is setup thru the control panel by pointing the sub domain to the relevant directory.

Quote:
I have seen several articles wondering why this has been overlooked by so many, for so long.
Couple thoughts regarding this, although I wouldn't say that it has been overlooked by seos. For starters, I think part of the reason it is not a common recommendation is that often when discussing seo the site has already been developed. When a site is already developed and included within the search engines, I don't think it is necessarily a good idea to provide advice that a switch should be made to subdomains. If a new site is being developed, I do agree that subdomains are a good structure to use. At the same time, while it is helpful it doesn't provide a solution in itself. A bunch of subdomains that aren't promoted won't do much better than directories. At the same time, if you were to promote subdomains versus directories equal the subdomains are a better route to go. Its a rather simple step to consider if you are starting a new site. But not something for everyone to start 'switching' to imo.

Subdomains = best
Directories = okay if already that way
Multiple domains = probably not a good idea

Old 28th October 2006, 07:11 PM   #7
pete
VIP Contributor

Maybe I did not make myselfclear. I did not mean overlooked by SEO guys. I meant just plain overlooked by virtually everyone, including many of the large corporate sites. It's really a pretty logical way to organize a site, but you hardly ever see it done.

Somewhere, years ago, out of the starting gate it got overlooked and has never been used as it was probably intended to be used by the guys who first set up the pecking order of the web.

Easier to just write and post pages....

Anyhow, kelvin, what I wrote was assuming you have control of your own destiny with a server (or portion thereof) of your own. If you are relying on a host or webmaster to manage your stuff for you, you may not have the capability to use sub-domains as I mentioned.

If you have ftp access and access to your own control panel, you should have no problem with sub-domains.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote