Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th October 2006, 03:55 PM   #1
acompdude

Default Young Entrepreneur

Hello, my name is Nicholas and I am a 17 year old senior in high school. I am looking into starting a small computer repair/consulting business. I am going to start very small with just myself and depending on how things go I may be able to grow. Anyway, I am posting here because I need some help. I need to come up with a good name for my soon to be business. I want something that will be somewhat catchy but not too childish. Anyway let me know what you can come up with and any other tips or advice are greatly appreciated.

acompdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th October 2006, 03:55 AM   #2
Cody

Hey Nicholas. I think a computer repair business is a great idea, but a lot of areas already have them. If you know how to repair pcs, maybe you know how to put them together, and I think that in itself is a great skill to have. Have you thought about starting a repair and building company? I wish I could help you with a name, but I thought I should at least give you something to think about.

The main reason I think a pc building service is a nice idea, is for people like myself that are competive gamers (I know it sounds corny ). I've been in console gaming tournaments for a few years, and I'm just now getting into pc gaming. With the vista coming out soon, I bet pc gaming will keep getting more popular. Sorry I got a bit off topic, but what I'm really trying to say is that "gaming computers" through companies such as Dell, Voo Doo, and Alienware are all priced too high for what they're worth. I'm getting a custom built pc for ~$1400, and I basically copied an alienware pc, and it was a little over $2000. Like I said above, it's just something to think about

Cody

Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 06:13 AM   #3
mktgbiz

Nicholas

Congrats on wanting to start your own biz.

Why don't you name it - AcompDUDE? See if the domain name is avilable. Seems catchy. Implies what you do.

Just my two cents......

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 10:41 AM   #4
KAYLINDA
VIP Contributor

Default It's Great

PC PRO
IFIX PC
It's great to see young people thinking about business!

Old 12th October 2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Kelvin
VIP Contributor

Default Source and Research Your Business

Hi, great that you think of doing business young. But do your research bit first. Start with your local Small Business Administration office in the U.S. or at http://www.govengine.com/ for business resources. I am sure you have resources for the other techie stuffs.

Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 11:22 PM   #6
TMCG

you can visit S.C.O.R.E.

only thing, just be prepared. some score counselors have a way of really laying it on thick and can sometimes actually discourage you. but overall, they can be very helpful.

have you taken any business classes in school?

i think what cody is trying to say is great. find your niche and you'll find a customer. i wish i was a computer savvy person. that's awesome.

to be honest, the name of your business is about i'd say the 8th most important thing on the list of important things when developing a business model. start with how your business will make money first and foremost. then take a good hard look at your competition - what are they doing, what are they not doing - this will help you expand on the first part. then consider financing (how you will fund the start up), then inquire into business entity (LLC, CORP, etc...), look for resources to help you - financially, intellectually, etc., then maybe you can start thinking about more fun stuff, like advertising, business name yada yada yada.

oh yeah, learn Excel if you don't know it already - you'll need it to find out a timeline of revenues, expenses and such. this will HELP YOU, understand your business and it's profitability. you'll need to take a close look at your market and what the averages are of costs, gross margins, and they'll let you know how much you'll need to break even, and even show you when you'll reach this point. oh and all these numbers will be wrong when applied to reality - but that's what they're for. guidelines to let you know how your business is doing, once it's up and running. without this - you're swinging in the wind - not good.

good luck man!

TMCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 06:59 PM   #7
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com
Lightbulb Business Name Ideas

Hey Nick,

Well a lot of these guys gave you some good advice but never really answered your question (old people these days just not listening). It gets annoying when starting you own business and people treat you like a kid. My advice on a domain name:

1. Think big, think of a name that will work now but also down the line. Who knows, this business might start as a computer repaid business now, but end being the #1 computer repair business in the U.S some day.
2. Pick a name that has an open domain name.
3. You could also go a different route and exploit the fact that you are young. Maybe someone will hire you just because you are in High School. Call it High School Repair or Young Blood Repair. Who knows, all of a sudden you have everyone in the community hiring you because you are in High School. Old people think young people know everything about computers. This could be a great branding tool.
4. The last thing someone wants to hear when asking what is wrong with their computer is a bunch of tech terms they know nothing about. I would keep that in mind when picking a business name. Your business should reflect you & how you run your business. It is the first thing someone sees or reads.

Even though this doesn't go along with #1, I like a business name with the word 'young' in it. Because you will have to face the facts, people will be surprised when a 17 year old shows up to fix their computer. But, if you are up front and honest with people about it, you can use that shock value to your advantage and brand yourself. Everyone already thinks young kids are computer geeks, so why use that association to your advantage.

Jeff