Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd September 2006, 06:19 PM   #1
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default New Article - Are Search Engine Spiders Infringing on Copyright? Belgium Speaks Out

Authored by: Ross Dunn

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/dun.../0922_rd1.html

A Snippet:

Last Friday (Sept 15th) a Belgium court dealt a stunning blow against Google and its Google News search service. The court is now forbidding the popular search engine from indexing Belgian newspaper content without paying each newspaper for the use of their content.

Old 29th September 2006, 10:40 AM   #2
ehrenpreis

Default Huh?

Are these people crazy? WHile the rest of us would donate a lung to get to the top at Google, newspapers, driven and paid by advertisers for eyeballs, sue and get removed?

Sometimes I think I live in a world gone mad...er, wait, I do!

ehrenpreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 11:17 AM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Yeah, Google's response to something like that is simple enough. Just don't index their content. Problem solved.

--Torka

Old 29th September 2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Kelvin
VIP Contributor

Default Copyright and Google: Indignation?

Hi to All!,
Great spot, what are we thinking? Do we want all our "content" to be available at a third party site that others who wants to seek our information goes to the third party site instead of to ours?

As far as my reading goes, Google did not challenge the case - hence the precedent is not good. But the case against Google rest on both copyright and database right, the latter of which is a "sui generis" right conferred to electronically formatted datas that have been systematically assembled for that purpose. And database right applies, as far as I know, only in the European Union. There were various attempts to introduce a similar instrument at various Congresses in the United States but it either failed or has been relegated to various study committees, and I believe awaiting "revival". Such a law in the United States would surely see an immediate rise in legal suits against anyone who aggregates content without permission (and royalties).

All commercial entities are profit entities. If my reading was correct, one of the main complaintss by the Belgian collective agency was that "cache" copies of news/information, that were already taken down by members of the Belgian Collective, can still be found at Google. And if that is correct, this potentially conflict with at least 2 directives of the European Union (Copyright and the Database Directive(s))

The laws of copyright is balanced by the doctrine of "fair use" in the public interest. Both these aspect must be followed to enable rights to be enjoyed and fruits of that labor for all to share. If we allow that to be tilted, in the medium to long term, nobody wins. And I think the most important thing to guard our due rights and fruits of labor, is to ensure that no one entity becomes too powerful. Right?

Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote