Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Domain Names
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd October 2006, 10:55 AM   #11
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Carolyn I haven't always gotten into the practice of purchasing domains that I didn't have specific plans for, but it makes sense to purchase some that look like they have potential for something. I agree generally with what's already been said here.

Matt is also quite correct in how to set up the extra domains pointing to a single site. Another good reason to do this might me to get the singular and plural version of your domain inaddition to other TLDs.

Kelvin I think the most important aspect of a domain is branding. It's part of the reason you might want to purchase multiple domain names. If you own the .com and someone decides to use the .net version of your domain to create a spammy site it's possible your own site can get associated with the spammy one, depending on how successful you've been with your branding to that point.

Having keywords in your domain has 0 difference on getting indexed or not. Keywords in a domain are probably one factor in where a site ranks though it's debatable how much of an effect it has. My own belief is that it's a minor ranking factor, but having a keyword in your domain will most likely lead to keyword rich anchor text which will have a major impact with Google, and probably the other engines as well.

I think you can create brandable domain names that make use of a keyword or two, but if the choice was between using a keyword rich domain and a brandable domain I would always opt for the brandable one.

Old 2nd October 2006, 03:35 PM   #12
cctreasurechest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGee View Post
There's a right way and a wrong way:

Right way: Choose one "main" domain. Setup all your other domains with a 301 redirect so that anyone typing in one of the extra domains ends up on your main domain. The end result here is that you really have just one active domain for your web site, which is what the search engines want.

Wrong way: Setup all your domains so that each one is "active" and will show the same web site as each of your other domains. The end result here is that you end up with multiple "copies" of your web site, each at a different domain. This is NOT what the search engines want.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Matt. Know I understand!!!

cctreasurechest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 03:36 PM   #13
cctreasurechest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctreasurechest View Post
Thanks Matt. Know I understand!!!
Should be Now I understand!!!! Now can you teach me how to type????

cctreasurechest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:47 PM   #14
Matt McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctreasurechest View Post
Now can you teach me how to type????
Sory, I''m not a gud typest.

Old 3rd October 2006, 12:40 AM   #15
Kelvin
VIP Contributor

Question Brandable Domains?

Hi to all. I address this to Vangogh,

I don't really understand your differentiation of brandable and keyword-rich domain names. Aren't they the same?

I understand that keyword-rich domains will have a better chance of being listed in the area of your main and associated keywords and then subsequently having keyword-rich appropriate anchor text elsewhere could help in ranking. This could even be cheaper and more real than having multiple domains elsewhere pointing to your main site. Am I correct?

For small businesses, "branding" your domain name could also be an expensive exercise, isn't it? Perhaps you can throw some light here, especially on how other ways you could brand your domain?! Much appreciate, thanks!

Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 12:25 PM   #16
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Kelvin I think there's a difference between brandable and keyword rich domains, though you can certanly have both. I'll use eBay as an example. eBay is a short name that's easy to remember. They certainly could have gone with the domain onlineauction.com or online-auction.com. Neither is as memorable as ebay however and I would think both would be a little harder to brand, though certainly not impossible. I'm sure both of those two domains are registered and probaly lead to live sites.

I think many people think small businesses can't brand themselves and I strongly disagree. Branding seems to be associated with spending tons of money to get your name out there. The money certainly helps, but I don't think it's a necessity to brand yourself.

Small business can help brand themselves by being consistent in their message whenever they get their name out. You may not have the resources to brand yourself on a national or international level, but you don't have to. Small businesses tend to operate more in a niche and you don't need the same wide reach in a niche market as you would on the national and international level. Of course with the internet you can reach a much wider audience.

Brand to me is associating your name with a certain product or service. A small business probably can't brand their name on the scale of Coke, but you can still brand your name within circles where a large number of your clients and customers are likely to be. Once you've branded yourself within smaller circles you can start to increase the reach of your brand.

Many people who post in forums use their business name as their username. I think one reason for this is the branding that goes with it. When you see that name over and over offering good advice the name starts to stick in your head and you might become aware of the products and services they offer. At a later point in time when you need one of those products or services it's possible you will first think of that username and their business first.

I think there is something to consistency with branding too. Maybe your unique selling proposition is your excellent customer service. Then coming to a forum like this and always being very helpful does connect the same helpfulness with you and consequently your claims to excellent customer service are more believeable.

I think the effect of keywords in a domain is limited. Most of the benefit would be in the anchor text I would think. What I really meant with preferring brandable domains over keyword rich domains was that brand.com (short simple domain) is better than keyword1keyword2keyword3keyword4.com

It shouldn't be too hard though to find something like brandkeyword.com And using a well chosen keyword can begin to help brand your business with that keyword. SmithDesign.com does brand Smith as some kind of designer.

Last edited by vangogh; 4th October 2006 at 12:30 PM.
vangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 12:37 PM   #17
Kelvin
VIP Contributor

Default Domain Branding and Keywords

Thanks Vangogh, very well explained. I think in the Internet, branding isn't that difficult anyway as long as there's consistency. Even getting good keywords domains are getting pretty difficult nowadays, which shows the exploding number of people getting online daily.

Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 12:10 PM   #18
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Glad the explanation was good Kelvin. By no means am I a branding expert, but I think you're right about the consistency of it.

I think when most people think branding they think of large corporations spending a lot of money, but I think there can be many different levels of branding. Most of us probably can't afford to brand ourselves on the same scale as those corporations, but we can in our own circles.

When I think of networking groups it comes across that much of the success you will have is how well you associate your brand with your services and products.

If I can get people to consistently make the association between my name and web design then hopefully when the time comes when they need a site developed my name is one of the first that comes to mind. That doesn't need to be done on a large scale and many small businesses aren't set up to handle the volume if it did happen right away on a large scale.

I think consistency is also important in the message you send out. If your messages are always mixed then people might make all sorts of associations with your brand that you may not realize or even want.

I think all businesses regardless of size can create a brand. It won't necessarily happen fast or on a large scale, but if you continue to put out a consistent message in your own circles then you can brand yourself with that message and as you do you can also begin to expand the size of your circle and the reach of your brand.

Old 12th October 2006, 04:49 PM   #19
Phidippides

I think that vg's branding vs keyword rich domain names discussion is a good one. As more and more domain names are being bought up, it gets more difficult to find kw rich domains which are relatively short. And while keywords can help make the name brandable (think "hotels.com"), they can also make it less brandable (e.g. when the name cotains keywords but becomes too long as a result).

If I were trying to find a new domain for an online business, I would consider using portmanteau or frankenwords, which are multiple words combined together to form a new word. Not only are these memorable (read: brandable), but they can also contain certain keywords and the domain names will most certainly be available for purchase. Think "Shopzilla.com" and you immediately have an idea of what the company is all about.

Phidippides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 12:03 PM   #20
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I think you can still find domains that make use of your keywords. You might just need to be a little more creative. And when I say more brandable I don't mean you can't use keywords. I think it's still a good idea for a small business to get one keyword into their name, but I would lean toward the brandable side than the keyword rich side.

I'd be much better off using vangoghdesign.com as a domain than I would vangogh-professional-web-design-services.com

The second domain is a better keyword for me to target, but who's really going to remember to type all that or even get it right if they do remember.

The first few domain names you think of will probably be registered already. I know it happens to me all the time, but you can get pretty close to what you want with a little bit of creativity.

I couldn't get design.com I'm sure or webdesign.com, but I would imagine if I add a short word that's personally identifiably to me in front of either there's a good chance I could get it. Something like that could still be brandable and also include a keyword that can help when people link to me using it in the anchor text of the link.