Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd September 2006, 12:52 PM   #11
Kelvin
VIP Contributor

Default Just Rounding Off

Hi Marcus,
Believe me, I was not computer-minded at all 3 or 4 years ago, just playing with it. When I started, I was perhaps even worse - was totally lost. Figured that there must be a more rational way to do all this, took courses and educated myself, learn all these day and night! So, what I said has nothing whatsoever to do with "liking or unliking", just simply thinking that my experience could be helpful.

Many things and perspective will change as you move along - in the Internet there is no linear path, nothing is cast in stone. But the basic principles remain. As a basic communication medium, the internet must be made up of substantially "content", and good content differentiates the players amongst themselves. It must be so, especially if you want to engage in any form of internet business. Otherwise there is no attraction. I found this true to my experience - and this experience is shared as well by my many internet friends worldwide. Best Wishes!

Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd September 2006, 02:20 PM   #12
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Marcus,

It's not that I don't like your project. So far, I'm still not sure what your project is, so I can neither like nor dislike it.

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I'm just trying to be honest. My perception is you want to be cautious about revealing too much about your great idea before you're ready to launch, which is understandable.

The problem is, what your caution leads to is that to an extent you're talking around what you're doing instead of just coming right out and asking simply and directly what you want to know. Which makes it harder to answer your questions.

Frankly, it's tough to even tell what your questions are in some cases.

As an example: when you mentioned "calibrating your technology." What I now think you may have meant was that you wanted to make sure you had enough server bandwidth and a robust enough back-end to handle the expected volume of traffic/sales.

If that's NOT what you were asking, I apologise. But if that WAS your question, then, IMO, the answer is -- as Logan says -- starting small and making sure everything can scale. And that's about as detailed as we can get until you give us more information about what precisely it is you're trying to do, what "technology" you're talking about, and what you mean by "calibrating" it.

I've been designing and developing ecommerce sites for years now and I haven't -- to my knowledge -- "calibrated" any technology in all that time. Perhaps it's just a difference in terminology. But I honestly have no idea what you're asking with this.

By way of explanation of some responses you received, you also need to understand there is a class of spammers on the web who use software (i.e. "technology") to automatically generate thousands, even millions of pages of gibberish and/or blatant copyright violations (which they refer to as "content" and the rest of us call "spam").

Then they slap some AdSense ads on these pages and try to make money by sucking in and pushing through huge numbers of visitors. (You've probably heard of these "Made For AdSense" or "MFA" sites.) While they're usually quick to assert the "quality" of their sites, their sole concern is actually how to most efficiently monetize their alleged "content."

Can you see how someone could potentially be led to the wrong conclusion by your vague talk about a useful "content site," your statement about the unspecified "technology" you need to "calibrate" and what seemed to be your primary focus on how to best monetize this content?

There was no sarcasm intended in my answers. When I said you were asking questions that were along the lines of "how long is a piece of string?" I was telling you the literal truth. As several of your questions were stated, they are quite simply unanswerable.

To illustrate why, let's return to your example, to perhaps help you better understand my position. You are in an unfamiliar city, hungry and looking for a place to buy groceries. So you walk up to a tourist information booth and say to the staff, "What's the best place to buy stuff? And how many people, on average, shop there?"

And then you're unhappy that the people in the booth want clarification before they give you an answer. At least, that's my perception of your response. Once more, my sincere apologies if I have misunderstood your remarks.

--Torka

Old 29th September 2006, 02:35 AM   #13
mindfullness

great, this post has helped me too

mindfullness is offline   Reply With Quote