Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th November 2009, 01:36 AM   #1
FL Management

Default Types Of Search Engine Spamming

There are overall sixteen tactics that are considered search engine spam. These techniques are:

• Keywords unrelated to site
• Redirects
• Keyword stuffing
• Mirror/duplicate content
• Tiny Text
• Doorway pages
• Link Farms
• Cloaking
• Keyword stacking
• Gibberish
• Hidden text
• Domain Spam
• Hidden links
• Mini/micro-sites
• Page Swapping (bait &switch)
• Typo spam and cyber squatting

Spamming Techniques

Invisible Text: Hiding keywords by using the same color font and background is one of the oldest tricks in the spammers' book. These days, it's also one of the most easily detected by search engines

Keyword Stuffing: Repeating keywords over and over again, usually at the bottom of the page (tailing) in tiny font or within Meta tags or other hidden tags.

Unrelated Keywords: Never use popular keywords that do not apply to your site's content. You might be able to trick a few people searching for such words into clicking at your link, but they will quickly leave your site when they see you have no info on the topic they were originally searching for. If you have a site about Medical Science and your keywords include "Shahrukh Khan" and "Britney Spears”, that would be considered unrelated keywords.

Hidden Tags: The use of keywords in hidden HTML tags like comment tags, style tags, http-equiv tags, hidden value tags, alt tags, font tags, author tags, option tags, no-frames tags (on sites not using frames).

Duplicate Sites: Content duplication is considered to be search engine spamming also. Sometimes what people do is, they copy the content and name the site differently. But search engines can find it easily and they mark it as a spam. Don't duplicate a web page or doorway page, give them different names, and submit them all. Mirror pages are regarded as spam by all search engines and directories.

Link Farms: Link farm is a network of pages on one or more Web sites heavily cross-linked with each other, with the sole intention of improving the search engine ranking of those pages and sites.

Many search engines consider the use of link farms or reciprocal link generators as spam. Several search engines are known to kick out sites that participate in any link exchange program that artificially boosts link popularity.

Links can be used to deliver both types of search engine spam, i.e. both content spam and Meta spam.

Link content spam: When a link exists on a page A to page B only to affect the hub component of page A or the authority component of page B, that is an example of content spam on page A. Page B is not spamming at all. Page A should receive a spam penalty. Without further evidence, page B should not receive a penalty.

Link Meta spam: When the anchor text or title text of a link either mis-describes the link target, or describes the link target using incoherent language, that is an example of link Meta spam.

Repetitive Submitting: Each search engine has its own limits on how many pages can be submitted and how often. Do not submit the same page more than once a month to the same search engine and don't submit too many pages each day. Never submit doorways to directories.

Redirects: Do not list sites using URL redirects. These include welcome.to, i.am, go.to, and others. The complete site should be hosted on the same domain as the entry page. An exception may be made for sites that include a remotely hosted chat or message board as long as the bulk of the site is hosted on its own domain. Actually redirecting of page was not developed for spam, but it is becoming popular technique for spamming.

There are many means of redirecting from one Web page to another. Examples of redirection methods are HTTP 300 series redirect response codes, HTTP 400 series error vectors, META REFRESH tags and JavaScript redirects. As studied earlier these are used to move visitor from one page to another without giving them a single second. In this case the page made for search engine is a spam. Everything on it is an example of either content spam or Meta spam.

Alt Text Spamming: Tiny text consists of placing keywords and phrases in the tiniest text imaginable all over your site. Most people can't see them, but spiders can. Alt text spamming is stuffing the alt text tags (for images) with unrelated keywords or phrases.

Doorway Pages: Doorways are pages optimized only for search engine spiders in order to attract more spiders, thus more users. Usually optimized for just one word or phrase and only meant for spiders, not users.

Content Spam: It is possible when different URLs delivers same content i.e. content duplication and same URL can deliver different content as well. Both HTML and HTTP supports it and hence spamming is possible. For example, IMG support and ALT text within HTML means that image-enabled visitors to a URL will see different content to those visitors that, for various reasons, cannot view images. Whether the ability to deliver spam results in the delivery of spam is largely a matter of knowledge and ethics.

Agent based Spam: Agent based delivery is certainly not spam. But it is spam when the use of agent based delivery to identify search engine robots by user agent and deliver unique content to those robots. Since the content is only created for search engines and it is not visible for users, it is always spam.

IP Spam: Identification of search engine robots by IP name or address and delivery of unique content to those robots is considered to be spamming. As in agent based spam, though this technique is also spam when you deliver unique content only to search engines and not the users or visitors.

No Content: If sites do not contain any unique and relevant content to offer visitors, search engines can consider this spam. On that note, illegal content, duplicate content and sites consisting of large affiliate links are also considered to be of low value to search engine relevancy.

Meta Spam: Meta data is data that describes a resource. Meta spam is data that mis-describes a resource or describes a resource incoherently in order to manipulate a search engine's relevancy calculations.

Think again about the ALT tag. Not only does it provide content for a HTML resource, it also provides a description of an image resource. In this description capacity, to mis-describe an image or to describe it incoherently is Meta-spam. Perhaps the best examples of Meta spam at present can be found in the <head> section of HTML pages. Remember though, it’s only spam if it is done purely for search engine relevancy gain.

Meta spam is more abstract than content spam. Rather than discuss it in abstract terms, we will take some examples from HTML and XML/RDF in order to illustrate Meta spam and where it differs from and crosses with content spam. Generally, anything within the section of an HTML document, or anything within the section that describes another resource, can be subverted to deliver Meta spam.

To make sure you are not spamming, you need to check a few things. First and foremost you should know whether your content is really valuable for your customers and visitors or not. Try and make websites according to user’s tests and preferences. Always remember that, Internet users are information seekers and they want the latest content all the time. Think and build a site as if there are no search engines and avoid automated pages. Google and many other search engines do not index auto generated pages.

FL Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th November 2009, 04:47 AM   #2
Moore123

The post is very informative but the last sentence in your post should be the following: Black hat seo tools and techniques can bring quick results but such results will not last for long and Google can penalise for them So stay away from all the things mentioned in the post.

Moore123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 09:07 AM   #3
AirForce1

Send a message via MSN to AirForce1

Thanks for nice tips and I think this is a nice post for SEO don'ts.
I think there is always a limitation for anything. If go over, there would be a punish.

Have a nice day,

AirForce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 05:20 AM   #4
FL Management

hey moore thanks for posting the last point i.e.:- "Black hat seo tools" etc.

FL Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 05:31 PM   #5
kendvp

What about hidden text? My business is a service that only deals with people locally. So I was thinking of using the names of all the surrounding cities in my area and putting them into hidden text on my web page. That way when someone enters the name of their town, plus the service they are looking for (I do residential remodeling). The name of that town in hidden text should pick up on that search. I don't see anything wrong with doing that, so I wonder if Google would consider it unethical.

kendvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 04:01 AM   #6
allisa

Its very worthy to read this post there some point which are new for me so its very valuable for me. I am going to bookmark this post. Thanks for sharing this .

allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 04:54 AM   #7
dorothykinder

This is really necessary for those who basically spam the web sites and i think now after reading this post mostly spammers will never think of doing spam.

dorothykinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:46 AM   #8
netometry

Default SES search engine spam,

The rules have always been the same, thank you for describing them in an appropriate way. Being thoughtful is a quality necessary when teaching.
Mary

netometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:18 AM   #9
mitchhyle

Thank you very Much.. It helps me a lot.. You give more information and ideas what you post here ..

mitchhyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 04:57 AM   #10
eduprograms

I would like to appreciate for sharing the useful and informative post with us. I was eagerly looking for this kind of information buddy.

eduprograms is offline   Reply With Quote