Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > Success Stories and Profiles
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd February 2013, 06:42 PM   #1
MyJobsIt

Send a message via Skype™ to MyJobsIt

Default How Did You Start Your Small Business?

My name is Mike Kawula and I've owned several small businesses, 2 which were franchises.

When Buying a franchise I always enjoyed the "Validation" part as you were given a list of every owner to call beforehand to learn everything about the business. I believe this is a good reason for the success in franchises as many learn beforehand if they like the business and are better prepared when they do open.

I want to make this available to non-franchise entrepreneurs also by interviewing as many different business owners to document your journey.

If you're willing to share your story please let me know [email protected] or share your story below.

Wishing all great Entrepreneurial Success!

MyJobsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:34 AM   #2
EricB
VIP Contributor

That sounds pretty cool, I'd definitely be interesting in reading about successful entrepreneurs. If I was further along in my business I'd would love to give an interview, but I wouldn't feel qualified to give advice until I am able to quite my 9-5 job and work for my own business full time.

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 07:06 PM   #3
MyJobsIt

Send a message via Skype™ to MyJobsIt

Default Eric

Your business looks interesting. Hows it going? Huge need for that in many markets I'm sure. I know I would have loved it when I owned a cleaning company and friends who own restaurants also. Love membership software. Who designed/created it?

MyJobsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 07:06 PM   #4
EricB
VIP Contributor

Thanks! I actually designed and created it on my own. The site was actually free for a while when we were in the beta phase and me and my business partner just recently switched it over to a paid site. We only started collecting money about a month ago, so we far from quitting our day jobs, but hopefully some day.

Old 14th February 2013, 10:05 AM   #5
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

I hope you start earning soon. I love not having a day job.

Old 14th February 2013, 10:36 AM   #6
tipstat

Send a message via Skype™ to tipstat

Default How Did You Start Your Small Business?

My name is ashish, I started as a freelancer first and then gradually gathered contacts of the people related to my industry. Now I run a web development company and I have my younger brothers on board with me. I feel that starting a business online hardly takes any investments and you can be sure about the returns if you are doing it right. If you are good at something, keep yourself updated to everything that is happening related to your field. And I am sure people will start trusting you too and will recommend you to there friends.

tipstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 11:30 AM   #7
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstat View Post
My name is ashish, I started as a freelancer first and then gradually gathered contacts of the people related to my industry. Now I run a web development company and I have my younger brothers on board with me. I feel that starting a business online hardly takes any investments and you can be sure about the returns if you are doing it right. If you are good at something, keep yourself updated to everything that is happening related to your field. And I am sure people will start trusting you too and will recommend you to there friends.
What do you see as to being the biggest advantages of working for yourself?

Old 15th February 2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Pooper-Scooper

Hi Mike

Here's my story...

Back in 1987 I heard about about a guy in that someone was offering to clean up after people's dogs for a weekly fee. I just laughed when I first heard it, but the more I thought of it, the more sense it made. I mean, here was a job that obviously has to be done, but a lot of people prefer not to do it themselves. The more I looked around in my community and the more I thought about the idea, the more convinced I became that this was truly a need that was not being met in my community.

So I spent the Winter of 1987-1988 studying and planning; spending time in the local libraries in the few hours I had available between the two full-time jobs I was working (making less than $6 an hour at each of them). I studied demographics and census data for my city and county. I looked up information about the pet industry. I called the county auditor and learned that there were about 100,000 dogs within 15 miles of my home. One Hundred Thousand dogs near me! I wouldn't have to have even one percent of them in order to have enough customers to improve my life. I studied ways to scoop large quantities in the shortest time. I practiced with different tools, using "simulated dog waste" to time how long it would take to clean a yard.

I had a young and growing family to support. We were living in a tiny upstairs apartment, and I didn't even have a car. But I vividly remember walking a half mile through the snow to catch a bus for work, and saying to myself over and over, "Someday I'm not going to have to do this anymore!"

I have had ideas before; you know that feeling when you just know that something is going to work, that somebody will do it -- but I didn't have the capital to take advantage of those ideas. Now I had hold of an idea that I KNEW was going to take off, and it was not going to take much money to make it happen.

At first I had to start very slowly. In the first month of the business, I spent a total of about $150 for tools, flyers, cards, and a couple of very small classified ads in the local papers. $150 doesn't seem like much money now, but at the time it was a huge risk. I couldn't afford to fail! I got a few customers right off the bat, and made my initial investment back, plus profit, after just a couple of weeks. And that's how I got into the dog waste removal service business.

I had a lot to learn, and no money to spend. I learned how to write a news release, and I sent my hand-typed news release to the local papers, and one of them called me into the office for an interview, which resulted in a nice story about my business in one of the little neighborhood papers. Little by little, constant improvements began to add up. Step by step, my little business was making customers happy and getting bigger and bigger. After a while I had to quit one of my regular jobs. Eventually I quit all working for regular jobs altogether.

The first vehicle I could buy to use just for business was an old Honda Civic for which I paid $300. But my customer list kept growing.... After a couple of years I began hiring employees because I couldn't do all the work by myself. When I had several people working for me I hired someone whom I knew could become a good manager. After a few years that person was able to take over more and more of the daily operation of the business.

The service outgrew the little home-office I had in the attic of my apartment, and I became an employer of 7 workers, with a fleet of 6 pickup trucks -- serving between 650 and 700 regular weekly customers. I was making more money than I had ever made before and spending most of my time with my family, traveling, reading, and doing the things I enjoy.

After ten years I felt it was time to move on to new projects and I sold my business to an excellent manager whom I know will continue to improve the business and serve the customers well.

As nice as it was to have some cash, and a deal worth nearly a quarter-million dollars, one of the greatest feelings I've ever had was to complete a project that I knew could work while just about everybody around me laughed at the idea. They must have thought I was nuts back then!

For me a great source of satisfaction is to create new realities out of ideas. To solve problems and make things happen.

If you're the kind of person who likes to make things happen rather than just take whatever comes along in life, I wish you all success.

Pooper-Scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 04:56 PM   #9
EricB
VIP Contributor

Now that was an extremely motivating story!!! Thank you for sharing that! I need to start working on getting my product out there. So far the only businesses we have are one's who have found us through search engines. I need to get out there and sell even though it's tough for me. I want to have a story like that some day.

Old 23rd July 2013, 09:04 PM   #10
platnumcn

I would like to keep my story quite short.

It was very initial days in my college years, when I was in urgent need of cash for my gfs birthday. I typed how to make USD 100 in 2 days and I came across a lot of offers. Back then, people paid anything for a little amount of work. I was able to earn my hundred inside of 2 days. i did a little bit of research and now, i am an established internet entrepreneur .