Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Hardware
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th February 2006, 01:01 PM   #1
sofy60

Default Disadvantages / Advantages of Mac Computers

Mac computers

What are the disadvantages to having a mac these days.. besides that intel processor that is being added this year.

sofy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th June 2006, 10:30 AM   #2
image Man

No where near a much software and upgrades as a PC and cost alot more for the same power.

image Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 02:01 PM   #3
LBBMike

not many. actually, with the move to intel, we should see the software barrier breaking as time goes on. boot camp already allows people to run windows. i don't know why anyone would, but that's my bias!

i've been on macs for years. i can do pretty much anything on my macs that others can do on pcs. the only exception is if you have an industry specific application that only runs on one platform. but that should change if apple continues to incorporate support for windows.

the best thing about macs is that they come with a lot of good software preinstalled, stuff you don't need to buy and most of it integrates with each other. and it works, too. apple has the advantage of creating both the hardware and software. it's a free for all with windows.

iphoto rules because you don't need to mess with installing drivers for your camera. you can produce your own promo videos with imovie and idvd. and publish it all with iweb. macs are the perfect tools for joining the media revolution.

apple also has awesome support, especially at the apple store. computers are complex and that means there's a good chance they will somehow break. i've been very pleased with how the apple store has handled my repair.

go over to apple.com and have a look at their current offerings. i say go apple all the way!

LBBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 10:10 PM   #4
Nathan House

Image Man pretty much nailed this issue. Other then the fact that there isn't as much software/games for Mac, my main issue is upgrading them. I mean, if you see that new Ge-Force card at %50 off, tough luck, you can't install it.

Nathan House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 12:32 PM   #5
LBBMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan House View Post
Image Man pretty much nailed this issue. Other then the fact that there isn't as much software/games for Mac, my main issue is upgrading them. I mean, if you see that new Ge-Force card at %50 off, tough luck, you can't install it.
True, consumer Macs are not as 'upgradable' as consumer PCs, but Pro Macs are, like the MacBook Pro and the Mac Pro. The playing field is more level with the new Intel processors. It is just a matter of time (and a software update) until you can use more PC hardware and software in Mac configs.

To me, it all depends on the experience you want to have with your computer. In PC world, you are in constant fear of viruses, and the Windows OS is fundamentally flawed because of it's proprietary nature. Apple conducts frequent software updates to patch security flaws. And Mac OS is built on top of unix, which makes it thousands of times easier for Apple to update because of unix's ability to run on legacy systems with legacy software. Microsoft's code is no where near as flexible, which is the reason why Vista has been delayed so long.

Today Macs are very evolved, and continue to evolve rapidly. The features on my MacBook Pro exceed those found on a comparable SONY laptop. Just my opinion.

Old 2nd October 2006, 03:30 PM   #6
Ralph

I shifted to a Mac about 1-1/2 years ago after I was destroyed by a virus. That was the 2ed time that year and both times it was very time consuming and expensive getting restored.

We work with realtors and their software is windows based. The new processor will allow us to work more easily with them. We even have a client who just got a new Mac.

Transitioning to a Mac was easy. I have no desire to go back to a windows based machine

Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 02:30 AM   #7
LBBMike

Cheers for Breckenridge!

Old 24th October 2006, 04:08 PM   #8
Kletskous

Default Ubuntu

Hi, I am new here so my reply comes a bit late but I worked on a Mac for almost two years. It worked fine and I could do everything I needed to do. The biggest benefit for me was that I never caught spyware or virusses and that without any protection.

What I missed most was a good office application so I used Neo Office, which is Open Office for the Mac. The problem of that was that it was terribly slow.

Now I switched to Ubuntu Linux, a free and open source operating system and I am very happy with it. It has the same benefits as the Mac and now I can use Open Office. Ubuntu comes with loads of free software and many more available for free download.. It is also very user friendly. The only warning I must give is that it is important to look for hardware that is "Linux proof" because not all the hardware manufacturers supply the Linux drivers.

Kletskous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 08:20 AM   #9
Lassard13

Main advantage of Mac - is a great OS! Unfortunately WindowsXP and Vista look and work not so cool like MacOS

Main disadvantages:
Macs is overpriced and these are absolutely non-gaming computers (I mean using computer for home, not only for business)

Lassard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 02:50 PM   #10
LBBMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassard13 View Post
Main advantage of Mac - is a great OS! Unfortunately WindowsXP and Vista look and work not so cool like MacOS

Main disadvantages:
Macs is overpriced and these are absolutely non-gaming computers (I mean using computer for home, not only for business)
i disagree about macs being overpriced. now that they use Intel chips, they are about the same price, or even sometimes cheaper than pre-assembled PCs.

even when the price difference was a couple hundred dollars (before Intel), it was always worth it because Apple makes quality products and they use quality parts. their customer service is first class too: they don't have call centers in India and won't ever replace your defected computer with a refurb! ...i hope michael dell does not read this post...