Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th January 2008, 01:41 PM   #1
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

This is probably going to seem like a noob question.. let me give you a scenario first.

You open an ecommerce store. The domain there is a subdomain of the shopping cart site. You buy a URL and point it to that subdomain. Two years later, the redirect is still a 302.

First question: Is there a negative effect occuring with this setup? (as far as SERP's go, that is)

You take that domain which now has 3500 relevant inlinks from the industry, manufacturers, high ranking blogs and a 700 page internal link structure and change the 700+ page site to a site with 25 pages (because you are going to lose the entire forum database).

Question#1: Use a 301 or 302 redirect? (I don't understand the whole domain parking thing)

Question #2: Am I going to get nailed for dropping so many pages?

PS: For $25 per month would you keep the site running to avoid losing the database? The chaos would be that all the pages will be linked to a menu system to which I have no access. So this thing would be sitting out in never never land floating around. I can change the footer to redirect the links to the new page, but when people read a post on the forum and click on the "home" page (in the menu system) they will be taken to a defunct page. I guess I could write a one liner that says "Restore-A-Deck has moved here" with a link to the new site. Or would that be cheesy?

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th January 2008, 02:42 PM   #2
justgowithit

A 301 redirect is what you want to use.

Similarly to adding content too quickly there's always a chance for negative repercussion when deleting mass content. Either way, in your situation it's going to take a cool-down period for serps to catch up.

If I were in your position Id be pretty concerned about the loss of organic traffic even more so than what strength is left in your 25 remaining pages.

Why not export the forum database to the new domain and recreate the structure. Then all you need to do is 301 from each page, which would be easy if the old site is written in asp, php, etc.

Last edited by justgowithit; 15th January 2008 at 02:54 PM.
justgowithit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 03:59 PM   #3
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Just, if I had access to a normal site and code, I wouldn't even be worrying about this. I made a lousy uninformed decision when I used this host for the shopping cart/site hosting. With that being said:

I have access to the html in the body of my pages only. Everything else is WYSIWIG editing and not customizable. The link structure in the menu is generated by the site. I can decide if I want borders around the buttons, what color they are and what I want the buttons to say.
I cannot FTP
I have no way to change the htaccess files
I cannot export or do anything with my database. They own it. If I wanted to hope for the best I could recreate each and every post on my forum. Even then, with no 301 capability, it would probably just end up being seen as duplicate content. I get a good amount of long tail organic hits from those pages (about 20% of my traffic) which I stand to lose.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I am holding up the works until I can figure out a solution.

Last edited by PressureProsInc; 15th January 2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 16th January 2008, 06:43 AM   #4
justgowithit

Default Ahh.....

Ah ha.... Sorry to hear about your predicament. In that case $25 sounds like a small price to pay for $25 worth of traffic. Also, in this situation the 302 will not hurt you at all- there's a good read on this subject at Matt Cutt's blog.

It sounds like your only real solution would be to get the shopping cart company to redirect from their subdomain - but I'm sure you've exhausted that route.

I wish you luck

Old 16th January 2008, 12:00 PM   #5
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Okay, not everyone at once. ;-) Let's start simply with damage control. Should I have the URL switched to a 301 redirect right now as the site stands?

Old 16th January 2008, 12:11 PM   #6
justgowithit

It sounds like your options are limited. I posted already earlier today but I included a link and the post seems to be help up with the mods. The current 302 redirect will not adversely affect the page standing.

There's a great article on this by Matt Cutts of Google. Search Google for 'matt cutts 302 redirect' and have a read.

However, I'm a little confused about what exactly you'd be redirecting. You said that you don't have access to the subdomain of the cart and wouldn't have a way to redirect.... What did I miss...?

It's kind of crazy that the business that you hosted with does not have a method for handling some in your situation. I'm sure you've already inquired with them - what did they have to say?

Old 16th January 2008, 01:12 PM   #7
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

They are completely worthless. I don't give out that tag lightly as it is harsh. Their customer service consists of thee or four "techs" that monitor a forum. You post a detailed problem and they spit back stock answers. I asked them if it was possible to overlay text onto graphics. I explained that I was trying to make the site look a bit more modern but was having problems importing HTML code. The response I got was the stock answer in their FAQ. "Use a graphics program to.."

Anyway, to the isue at hand.. I do appreicate your taking the time to help and for that thank you.. The URL was also purchased through this company so they control the admin powers of it. Luckily I can take the URL when I want to by having them "push" it into an enom account. I may be able to have them change the redirect. Would it be worth trying?

Old 16th January 2008, 01:22 PM   #8
redmascot

Sorry friend, I found little difficult to understand your problem. Please post your url. It will make things easier for me

In case you need to get some information regarding 301 redirect and how it can effect your SEO rankings, please read following article : http://seohawk.com/seo_articles/301_redirects.asp

I am sure it will help you understand relationship between SEO and 301 redirect.

redmascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 06:23 PM   #9
RayGoneFishing

Ken, the redirect you are asking about is the one from restore-a-deck.com to restore-a-deck.com/index.html, right? At least that's the only one I see when I access your website. So if that's the one, it's harmless. I don't see why it's there in the first place, but it doesn't cause you any problems with the search engines, so you can just as well leave it as it is.

As for the hosting company controlling the admin powers of your domain, I think you are a bit pessimistic there. The domain is registered to PressurePros (or one of your employees) and you show up as the registrant, admin and tech contacts. So you control the domain.

The domain status is currently locked, but that only means that it cannot be transferred without your consent. That's a good thing, nothing to worry about. If you want to transfer the domain to another host, you can ask the registrar to unlock it and they have very few options to refuse your request. Even if they try, you will get your way eventually since it's your domain.

So you won't lose your domain if you move to another host. Moving the static pages won't be much of a problem either. But migrating the forum database will indeed be a real bummer if you cannot export the database. When you look at your incoming links and search engine positions, what percentage actually goes to individual forum threads, as opposed to other pages on the website?

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 08:09 PM   #10
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Ray, I didn't know anything about the redirect to index.html. I know there is a redirect to deckcleaner.shoppingcartsplus.com.

About 20% of my daily hits land in the forum. The bummer is that that 20% represents 40% of my total organic hits and they convert 300% better than my PPC stuff. Now you know why I hate moving this thing and have delayed it. I'm gonna have to bite it.