Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Just for Fun > Chat
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd March 2005, 04:06 PM   #1
bobbyg223

Question New Business Question

Hi everyone! My name is Bobby and Iím new to this site. I am in the process of forming a new Landscaping business in NJ as an S-Corporation. I am in the middle of filing for my Original Business Certificate using the Public Records Filing for New Business Entity, which I have to send to the Division of Revenue. Here is where I have my question. The application asks me to list my total shares that i must declare as a corporation. I really have no idea what is a normal, recommended or standard amount of shares for my given assets. I am currently not very large, and only own about $6,000 in assets. I understand that nobody will be able to give me specifics, which is not what Iím concerned about, I just want some general advice or to know what might be standard. What are common ratios of shares per values of assets? I have done all my research on everything else I need to do to officialize my business and this is my only remaining question. I have successfully avoided the costs of getting advice from an attorney or an accountant. Any help or advice I could get from anyone at this site would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby

bobbyg223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd March 2005, 04:28 PM   #2
copywriter

All I can add is that my CPA told me to issue myself 1,000 shares at $1 each since I am (and plan to continue to be) the sole stockholder.

Old 24th March 2005, 12:33 PM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Same advice as Karon only I own 51 shares and my wife who is the other owner owns 49. I took one more than her so I could have veto power over her. <hee hee>

I don't think you really need to worry about the amount of shares (past 100) and the value when you or you and your spouse are the sole owners. Of course you may want to consult your own local corporation commission or agency.

Old 25th March 2005, 12:56 PM   #4
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

In my corporation, we have 50,000 shares outstanding and they are "no par" (don't carry any value)

Michele