Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > Success Stories and Profiles
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th August 2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Default I Did It! Developed My Own Product

Not sure where to start my story as to how I came out developing my product but I will try and keep the dribble out as much as possible!

I have suffered from Scoliosis for 23 years, I run support groups for people all over the world who live with this condition from diagnosis to surgery. I had surgery myself 23 years ago.

My husband died last year and quite frankly I needed another focus in my life vs sitting staring at a wall, drugged up and waiting for what was never going to walk through the front door again, soooooooooooooooooo, early on this year I contacted a company who I knew could help me accomplish what I had in mind.

We met in the UK and spent hours on the living room floor of my parent's house talking about my ideas and how I could put them into practice, which was all good fun and very tiring!

I wanted to develop a travel mattress topper a bit like what other mattress companies provide but actually giving people a sleep solution by incorporating a recess into the mattress which is for the neck and spine - we should all sleep with a 2 inch gap between the base of the head and the start of the spine - this is the body's natural alignment. I used a friend of mine who is severely disabled with a broken pelvis, spine and paralysed leg to be my road tester. My road tester had been a previous user of all things travel memory foam so he was perfect to give me an honest opinion

Along with this mattress I also designed a back cushion for people with Scoliosis to counteract the rib hump - all people with a considerable twisty spine have one shoulder blade depressed and the other protruding, given an uneven position for the person when leaning back onto straight backed chairs (basically any chair that you find in all restaurants, cafes, bars) - my cushion gives you the extra shoulder blade you are missing, leveling the body out so when leaning back into chairs the body is supported properly allowing the person to feel like the rest of the planet when sitting in a chair (so simple really!), offering a pain relief also as the person does not have to sit forward in a chair using their elbows as support for the rest of their body!

I launched my website 2 weeks ago and the response has been amazing, I am hoping for great success with these products so I can raise enough money to become a proper charity in the UK and support people even more

Thanks for reading and if you know of anyone who is suffering with Scoliosis I would like to talk/support them

Simone

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th August 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
WebEminence

Congratulations on that. Looks like you got some nice things going there. Which site did you launch? The one selling the mattresses? I assume you're getting traffic from your other Scoliosis site?

Old 18th August 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Hey Dude

It is the how to look good twisted website that I launched - my Scoliosis website I have had since 2004

Thanks for your message it is much appreciated - I hope to help Scoliosos sufferers sleep better at night and have less pain because of it

Simone

Old 19th August 2012, 06:59 AM   #4
deniseoberry

Send a message via Skype™ to deniseoberry

Congratulations on launching your product Simone. Hope the word gets out quickly for you!

deniseoberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 03:54 AM   #5
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Thanks very much I will certainly do my best!

Old 24th August 2012, 09:21 AM   #6
tmerrill

Congratulations. I hope your new product takes off.

What company did you work with when developing your product?

tmerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Hola

I worked with a company in the UK who manufacture beds, they have all the skills required to make the product so it worked well

Thanks
Simone

Old 24th August 2012, 11:29 AM   #8
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Congratulations on the new product! May it be successful beyond your wildest dreams.

--Torka

Old 24th August 2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Thanks Torka, I just have to put my money where my mouth is now and do for myself what I have managed to do for my clients!

it is a good product for me as I have Scoliosis so if all else fails at least I can now travel and not be in agony, so much so I am actually coming to the USA next month for a holiday, something I would never have considered before, but I know I can now sleep in the hotel and not walk bent over double in the morning - win win

Speak soon

Simone x

Old 31st January 2013, 09:37 AM   #10
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Thanks very much I will certainly do my best!
It is great to see that you are using your life to help other people. We need more people like you in the world.