Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th April 2007, 01:30 PM   #1
lauramak357

Default Questions On How To Have A Profitable Website?

Hi,

I'm interested in getting my small business off the ground and I am looking for some great tips in getting my on-line business started.

I have some very important questions to ask before doing so, because I want to make sure that it's the right decision for my business.

As a small business website owner - maybe, someone can assist me by figuring out some of this stuff.

1) How difficult has it been to find Web Site Profit information on the internet - information that counts? What should I type into the search engines, what
keywords?

2) Should I hire a company to build my site? or I have a neighbor that is interesting in building it for me - with web design experience? What do you think I should do?

Does the website design even matter? or is it how you market your web site?

3)What has been your biggest challenge for your small business in having a web site online? (so, I can prepare myself).

4)I've seen a lot of people offer free reports to help me with my business - is this a gimmic or has some of this information been helpful to you - should I even waste my time?

5) What should I pay someone to build my ecommerce site? I've been getting quotes back anywhere from $500 to $5,000. What's a reasonable price?

If you can offer me some feedback that would be most helpful!

Laura

lauramak357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th April 2007, 01:34 PM   #2
_detz_
VIP Contributor

It's hard to sort what works and what does not work..there are so many people try to give you information(some good, some horrible) that you end up getting a big mix. I would suggest that you read(this forum, articles(free)) first and then try to find a direction you want to move in.

_detz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 02:03 PM   #3
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Hello there!

Great to have you here at the forum.

There are steps to follow. First is decide what your product is. Second, deciding how to package your product and who to outsource the work to. Under this, there are a lot of questions:
1. How are you going to package your content?
2. What people will need to be involved in the content creation above?
3. How will you package your product?
4. What parts of this process can you outsource?
5. What parts canít you outsource?
6. Where do you want to hire your workers from?

And the list goes on. Best of luck!

Old 26th April 2007, 08:56 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Web site design definitely matters -- not so much in the sense of "having pretty pictures" but in the sense of designing a site that's user-friendly and that leads visitors to do whatever it is you most want them to do on the site -- buy your product, contract your services, sign up for a paid subscription, whatever the purpose of your site might be.

Site design is part of marketing and vice versa; you can't really separate the two, IMO.

Not only the page layout, but the headline, the copy, the navigation... even the color scheme can affect "conversions" (when a visitor becomes a customer, that's called a conversion).

In addition to the excellent advice available around these parts, GrokDotCom, Marketing Experiments, Marketing Sherpa, and Marketing Profs all have interesting and potentially useful information to help you learn how to maximize your conversions and sales revenue. These should at least give you enough food for thought to get you started.

After that, it's mainly a matter of testing, testing, testing to see what works best for your specific market.

Hope this helps!

--Torka

Old 27th April 2007, 09:16 AM   #5
laurie1009

2) Should I hire a company to build my site? or I have a neighbor that is interesting in building it for me - with web design experience? What do you think I should do?

Does the website design even matter? or is it how you market your web site?

3)What has been your biggest challenge for your small business in having a web site online? (so, I can prepare myself).

4)I've seen a lot of people offer free reports to help me with my business - is this a gimmic or has some of this information been helpful to you - should I even waste my time?

I'll try these:

2. This depends on how much money you have to spend. If your neighbor can build a professional site for a reasonable price, I"d go with them. Just make sure you see what they've done before and that it will be what you want.

3. My biggest challenge is just getting paying clients. Most people looking for a home business want all the info for free. I'm happy to help them, but I need to make a living too. Also, you need to constantly market. My site got to page 1 in google for my keywords, but that doesn't guarantee paying customers! Market where your "niche" is.

4. I have definitely gained a lot of info. from free reports. Yes, they will be advertising a product in the report you'll need to pay to get, but take what you can from the free info. and if you've benefited from that, it may be worth it to you to pay for their product.

Good luck! It's an adventure!

laurie1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 05:23 PM   #6
lauramak357

Hi,

I'm going to try to make my questions/concerns much clearer -

1) What should I look for in a company in designing and
building my website? Do you feel like the design of
the website should even matter?

2) How much should I pay for a website? I've received quotes
anywhere from $500 to $15,000 - not sure who to go with? what
should I look for in a website developer?

3) What has been your biggest challenge in marketing your
website?

4) Should I find an internet consultant to take all the guess work out
of marketing my website - or is this something I can do on my
own?

5) What are some keywords I should be using in finding internet
marketing information on the web?

If you are a small business owner yourself, please help me by listing some concerns and obstacles you have faced in getting your site online and marketing efficiently.

LauraMak

lauramak357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 10:21 AM   #7
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Default First thing I'd suggest...

Hi Laura,

You know the first thing I'd suggest--and this is way, way under-rated by most newbies--is picking a good name.

What you want to do is pick a domain name that includes keywords. That'll make a huge difference. I can't emphasize this point enough.

I could stand up and talk for an hour or more and provide real life examples of why site names that use your name or that seem cute are bad choices... and why site names that use keywords people may search on are good choices.

A lot of older domain names you see ignore this. And unfortunately I have ignorred this in past. But IMHO we shouldn't ignore this now.

I don't think I can post URLs inside a message, but take a look at the two URLs in my sig. The first one is a bad name. (But one I've got too much invested in to stop using. ) The second one, for a site I'm in process of creating, is a good one... a month after it went live, it began appearing on page one of search engine results page for some of the keyword combinations implicit in the URL like "easy incorporation")

Two final points about this: (1) You can use a tool like wordtracker (just google on this) to learn which keywords people use... (2) Even if the obvious keyword is taken--say you sell candles and candles is already take--you'll be able to create other keyword combinations that still work really well.

Good luck!