I did a bunch of stuff myself, bartered some stuff, and hired some stuff. My business is personal training (CustomStrength
), so bartering is a good option for me as it's something people want.
Things I hired:
- I got my logo done by 99designs. In future I'd spend more and get it done right with someone who gets branding, but at the time I couldn't afford that.
- I've had to do some importing of equipment. I use customs brokers for that. I couldn't imagine trying to sort that out myself.
- an accountant. I have done this some years, other years I've done it myself. I'll be hiring it out again this year as it's getting complex.
Things I bartered:
- some content writing for my website.
- graphic design work for a poster and for a training ebook.
- I am about to barter for some video production with a new client.
Things I did myself:
- my web site. I used to be an electrical engineer with some software background. I bought a template and went from there.
- marketing. I will hire for things like posters and ad campaigns, should I go there, but social media is working wonders for me, and I think the personal touch is working for me. I've grown my business from 4 clients to start 2011 to 55 clients to end it, so I think the numbers support that I'm doing this well.
- my business plan. I was a North American finalist for the Cartier Women's Initiative Awards in 2008 for my business plan for a previous business, so I think I'm in good shape on the biz planning department. Side note: the 2012 edition of the award submission is coming up - it is a great program - http://www.cartierwomensinitiative.com//
check it out and apply if you are eligible.
Not sure if that helped.