Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > Success Stories and Profiles
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th September 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
businesskickoff

Default Question For Small Business Owners & Entrepreneurs!

I have a few questions for those that have started their own business, or are even in the process! Thanks so much for your input! It would be great to get a good discussion going!

At any time during your planning or start up process did you utilize outside services to help start your business? If yes, did you pay for these services?

Who did you receive the outside help from and how did you find them?

How did this assistance effect your start up process? Could you have started without utilizing outside help?

Thank you all so much! This will be so helpful to me!

businesskickoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th September 2011, 08:12 PM   #2
EricB
VIP Contributor

I don't know if I can be a huge help with this question, but I hate seeing a good question with no responses so let me try my best.

I currently run a website you can see in my signature. I came up with the idea myself and began designing the website myself. I taught myself HTML, CSS, PHP, etc using w3schools.com. I then built the first version of my website on a free site called batcave.net to make sure I could do it before I began paying for it.

After I had built most of the site on batcave.net I then partnered up with my old college roommate. He has come up with some great ideas for the site which has been useful.

Besides the help my college roommate provided, it also motivated me to finish what I had started because I was accountable for it. It wasn't just me relying on finishing the website anymore.

I could have probably finished the website without the motivation, but I don't know if I could have come up with some ideas and overall layout.

I hope this helped.

Eric

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Tiffanyrosinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by businesskickoff View Post
I have a few questions for those that have started their own business, or are even in the process! Thanks so much for your input! It would be great to get a good discussion going!

At any time during your planning or start up process did you utilize outside services to help start your business? If yes, did you pay for these services?

How did this assistance effect your start up process? Could you have started without utilizing outside help?

Thank you all so much! This will be so helpful to me!
I can say that I have received incredible advice, motivation, and support from my local SCORE office, they are through the SBA, you can locate your nearest office at SBA.gov. There are also local offices in your community that support small businesses and offer free seminars, I just went to one called Legal Considerations for Small Businesses, these are great ways to network as well!

I did start without any of this help, but it has helped me grow and become more confident in my business. I hope that this helped!

~Tiffany

Tiffanyrosinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 07:16 AM   #4
brianwhitskey24

Hey ericB i loved your post and have motivated me, am a new webdeveloper and want to start a website but as am newbie am not able to execute everything by myself you have given a good idea of W3school, i think it will help me. And i think i need to take few of my friends to work with me.... that will give me more time to think for my project and they will keep my project running...

brianwhitskey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 10:11 PM   #5
BeInnovative

I did a bunch of stuff myself, bartered some stuff, and hired some stuff. My business is personal training (CustomStrength), so bartering is a good option for me as it's something people want.

Things I hired:
- I got my logo done by 99designs. In future I'd spend more and get it done right with someone who gets branding, but at the time I couldn't afford that.
- I've had to do some importing of equipment. I use customs brokers for that. I couldn't imagine trying to sort that out myself.
- an accountant. I have done this some years, other years I've done it myself. I'll be hiring it out again this year as it's getting complex.

Things I bartered:
- some content writing for my website.
- graphic design work for a poster and for a training ebook.
- I am about to barter for some video production with a new client.

Things I did myself:
- my web site. I used to be an electrical engineer with some software background. I bought a template and went from there.
- marketing. I will hire for things like posters and ad campaigns, should I go there, but social media is working wonders for me, and I think the personal touch is working for me. I've grown my business from 4 clients to start 2011 to 55 clients to end it, so I think the numbers support that I'm doing this well.
- my business plan. I was a North American finalist for the Cartier Women's Initiative Awards in 2008 for my business plan for a previous business, so I think I'm in good shape on the biz planning department. Side note: the 2012 edition of the award submission is coming up - it is a great program - http://www.cartierwomensinitiative.com// check it out and apply if you are eligible.

Not sure if that helped.

Old 15th February 2012, 10:14 AM   #6
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

1. At any time during your planning or start up process did you utilize outside services to help start your business? If yes, did you pay for these services?

> Yes, we did engage a freelancer to design our company website during the startup process. Logo and letterhead are designed by a friend for free. Namecards, brochures and other marketing materials we designed ourselves.

> From the web, google.

> Yes we can do without outside help. It is just a business decision on whether to divert manpower or spend some money and focus on our core business process.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 05:43 AM   #7
bryansmith1129

You can start a good business if you have a lot of knowledge about your field. But you cannot do everything by yourself. Whether it’s something online or a physical store, there are many areas involved. A lot of people gave their inputs about what they did themselves and what they needed help for. What it tells you basically is you cannot be good at everything. So plan accordingly and get the right help. All the best.

bryansmith1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 12:32 PM   #8
ReganP

At the last small business I worked at the owner used students at the university in town when she was getting started. You can often apply to be a "project" for grad school business students and they will help develop your business model, make projections, and set goals for you. You can do the same thing with advertising students and you often get pretty good results.

Even though they're students, they're usually guided along and helped by their professors so the final product is more helpful than you might think. It's especially helpful if they're working on some aspect of the business you know nothing about.

ReganP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanyrosinski View Post
I can say that I have received incredible advice, motivation, and support from my local SCORE office, they are through the SBA, you can locate your nearest office at SBA.gov. There are also local offices in your community that support small businesses and offer free seminars, I just went to one called Legal Considerations for Small Businesses, these are great ways to network as well!

I did start without any of this help, but it has helped me grow and become more confident in my business. I hope that this helped!

~Tiffany
I also went to some SCORE sponsored classes, as well as some adult ed classes. The classes were all free, and were run by retired business people. Their input and experience were invaluable. I highly recommend SCORE.

Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 06:26 AM   #10
diaze082

Yes! you can start a good business but before starting business you need a good business plan so that before starting business you can go through from all the processes in business. This is very important step which should be taken in beginning of business. All these plans will help you in your business.

diaze082 is offline   Reply With Quote