Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2008, 12:41 PM   #1
AskRex

Default Blog Tips From ProBlogger

I thought I would post a little educational piece on the blogging world. Why? In the years I've spent dipping into Internet Marketing, I've found blogging to be one of the hottest tools out there...yet most people don't know what to do with a blog once they get it up.

So here you go folks! Time for a blog run-down...

Ok, so some of you may be total internet marketing newbies and aren't even too sure on what a blog is, so I'll start there. A blog is a website of sorts used to post entries (like a diary) on whatever topic you're excited to share with the world. Maybe you'll use your blog to write about your company's progress or affiliate products you’re selling. Maybe you want to write about environmental issues or the latest in politics.

My only warning is, make sure you like your general theme, whatever it may be. Did you know blogs on the Technorati 100 list (a ranking of top blogs) consist of users who've been writing their blogs for an average of 33.8 months??? So that's why you want to pick something you like writing about.

Now, don't let that discourage you! Everything takes a little time to build, right?

Let me give you some top tips on how to make your blog a hit so you don't have to wait 2+ years to get a following.

First, I recommend you make a content plan - before you even make one post! Figure out how many times per week you want to make posts. Do you want to post several short posts a day, a couple times a week? Or do you want to write more detailed posts every day? You don't have to overdo it to make people interested - keep that in mind. So, let's say you want to write one post 5 days a week. I suggest you make a content plan (a topic per entry) for one full month - about 20 or so topics. You will really be thankful for this on days where you have little time to write, or days when you are stuck on what to write about.

Second, I recommend you link to really great stuff in your blog! Whether you embed a YouTube video and make that your post, add a poll or survey, link to other people's blogs, etc. Most internet users come to the internet to communicate and have some fun. People spend hours surfing for entertaining videos, pictures, or audio. So why not include those in your blog? Your following will love it! Caution: Do not over-use this. Just sprinkle these ideas throughout your blog - maybe a couple a week, depending on how much you post.

And third, remember that people LOVE lists. What do I mean by this? If you made a post on "The Top 5 Things You'll Hate About _____" or "9 Ways to Get Out of _______", etc. Readers probably don't want to spend hours on your blog. They have other places to go, right? So keep that in mind when sitting down to write. Keep it short and sweet and they will get their dose, AND be sure to share with others.

Now, what I'd like you to do is shoot me a comment. Tell me about the blog you already have, or the blog you are intending to create. I'd love to see what's out there.

AskRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:32 PM   #2
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

Thanks for sharing. I normally write my blog post in MS Word before posting. One advantage is having a spell-checker. Another advantage is I can write a few posts in advance when I have free time.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 10:35 AM   #3
youbetcha1018

This is a great tip. Very helpful and informative indeed. I too write my blog on MS Word for the same purpose like what Dennis said.

youbetcha1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Real Business

I totally agree about needing a content plan. I've learned that updating my blog on a consistent basis (preferably every day) does wonders when it comes to the search engines. The best way to kill a blog is to stop posting on a consistent basis. If you look at many of the top blogs, they post at least once a day - often, several times a day.

The more often you post content, the more often the search engine bots will crawl your site.

Real Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Mentor_Yonelia

Send a message via Skype™ to Mentor_Yonelia

Rex,

Hello there! that's really good stuff. Thank you for sharing. My blog is in signature.

I'm trying to blog more often! :-)

Yonelia Diaz

Mentor_Yonelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:04 AM   #6
khaty

Great tips.. thanks for posting it here.

khaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 12:41 AM   #7
busyboy22

g8 tips ....thanks buddy...

busyboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the tips.I find it harder and harder to find interesting internet marketing and blogging related things to write about on my blog.Any ideas where to find new ideas, besides forums?

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 10:15 PM   #9
myspot

Send a message via Yahoo to myspot

Thanks for sharing... Those are great tips, I just started a new internet marketing blog and I will definitely take your advise. So far I think the contents on my blog is pretty good : ) It's on the make money online sig if you want to check it out.

myspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 09:42 AM   #10
jv08

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.

jv08 is offline   Reply With Quote