Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th November 2006, 02:23 PM   #1
rebeccahara

Default VoiceMail Service

Hello everybody,

I am a counseling psychology trainee at a sliding fee scale clinic in San Francisco. Currently, I'm helping upgrade our (primarily) manual and rather defunct systems. Hopefully, the information I garner through this adventure will also help me once I open up my own private practice. Fortunately, I used to be a Human Resource Exec for Internet companies, so maybe I've got some ideas that can help others as well.

ANYHOW to this voicemail subject...We are in need of some kind of voicemail service (call center/software/web/hardware) whereby ~26 people can each have their own voicemail #s. We need to give clients an individual # for their therapist so that they can then call in, with privacy, and leave a message on a voicemail, personalized by their therapist's voice. Something that notifies a therapist of a message waiting would be great but is not necessary. Folks can simply call and check their msgs on a regular basis.

Thoughts?

THANK YOU!
Rebecca Haralabatos
Integral Counseling Center

rebeccahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th November 2006, 02:21 AM   #2
ultimatesecurit

There are many manufacturers out there that offer PBX phone systems. Prices and features all very with model and brand. Nortel Telecom is a huge company that many people are familiar with, other companies such as Vodavi, Toshiba and panasonic offer great systems.

The main thing you need to figure out is if you want a VoIP based phone system or a regular business landline system. VoIP is the most preferred way of phone line services as it is much cheaper than your typical AT&T line. Online companies such as telephonemagic, 101phones, tele-movers, etc have many different items to choose from. With so many to choose, its best you give them a call or I recommend you reference your local yellow pages for a professional phone system company. You will be spending an average of 10k for a decent system, but that varies with options you may add.

A typical PBX phone system is controlled by a main KSU (basically main computer) it can contain the harddrive to record incomming and outgoing messages that can be retrieved by anyone holding the passcode. So if you have 24 extensions than you will have a passcode for each extension for that particular user. With any phone system you are going to a have a PBX operator or a receptionist that can take all calls and route them to designated extensions or you can have it programmed to have the customer dial by name and it would automatically transfer the call. So as you can see there's a lot to this system.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.

ultimatesecurit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 09:42 AM   #3
janice

Rebecca, for a web-based solution you can try GotVMail.com. Although I'm not sure they can support 26 lines.

janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 01:22 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

RingCentral.com says they can support up to 100 voice mail boxes with a web-based PBX system and auto-attendant greetings/call routing. Kall8.com appears to offer a large number of extensions (from what I can tell, they allow four digit extension numbers, so I would think you can create quite a few that way), but their auto-attendant set up seems to be a little less convenient than RingCentral's.

I haven't actually used either of these, so this is not a recommendation for one or the other. And I'm sure there are plenty of other companies that offer similar web-hosted PBX services.

HTH!

--Torka

Old 15th September 2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Birdman

If you need each patient to have their own phone number and then all the messages for one therapist go into one mailbox this may be a customized application that you won't get in a canned system. There is a great list of consultants who can customize this on the voip-info.org website.

Last edited by Birdman; 15th September 2007 at 11:54 AM.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 05:01 AM   #6
Steve Gorick

Default Voicemail System

I would recommend looking into a hosted voicemail system. There are numerous companies that will host your phone system for a low monthly fee. You don't have to worry about buying equipment this way. Most of them allow you to have personalized voicemail greetings for each extension and some offer on hold messages as well. Hope this helps.

Steve Gorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 05:04 AM   #7
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Default Be Careful Over Capitslising on a Phone System

This is really a techies job spec.

One thing i can share from experience is don't be afraid to question the invoice and get second and third and even fourth quotes.

It can save thousands.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote