Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th April 2015, 05:29 PM   #1
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Default How Important Is Social Media For Small Business?

Here is a real life experience that I am sure many of you can relate to. My brother was having problems with the brand new dishwasher he had bought few days ago. He called the manufacturer and after waiting for 15 minutes on phone was told to try couple of things that would fix the problem. Well, it did not. He called back. After waiting for another 15 minutes was told to try something else. This went on for few iterations. Frustrated he took his complaint to Facebook and Twitter. And guess what? 5 minutes after posting his complaint a real-life technical person from the company asked him to contact him directly. Not only did he not have to wait for 15 minutes, but the technical rep figured out exactly what was wrong and fixed the problem in a matter of 1 hour.

Now, I donít know about you, but next time I have a problem with an appliance guess where I will be going for resolution? This is the power of social media these days. The internet is flooded with social media stories like this. When you think about it you can understand why businesses are monitoring the social media sites so closely. It doesnít take long for a story to reach to thousands, and even millions, of people in a short time. If not monitored and responded carefully and quickly it has the potential to do serious damage to your brand and business.

Read more - http://www.smallbizmarketingideas.co...mall-business/

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st April 2015, 07:39 AM   #2
Nath

It's sad though that "customer service" over phone is not able to resolve problems their customers might have. I work on a technical side of call centers and can see how many managers or team leaders try to decrease a time spend on a call with a customer in order to increase the number of taken calls (while not spending too much of money on hiring other people to handle inbound calls). This leads to poor customer service and customers are forced to use a different channel of communication.

I wonder what will happen in few years - will operators from call centers handle complaints on social media as well? And if so, what about the quality of their solutions?

Thanks for sharing this story, I'll use social media next time when trying to solve some issue.

Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 02:53 AM   #3
Ell3n

I have seen social experienced social media as a good tool for your brand recognition but from earning point of view this medium is not long lasting. For short run it'll really help you but in long run its credibility get loses.

Ell3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 10:26 AM   #4
seevskti

not every company is so active on social media. You are lucky that your company is active. Also it depends on other factors, that is type of service your are involved into and the nature of complaint?

seevskti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 11:20 AM   #5
kindsvater

A good FAQ on the website would have saved everyone involved from spending unnecessary time resolving the problem.

I don't see the story as a reason for a business to spend resources on "social media" versus the story being a lesson in a need to better educate the phone support personnel, having a better phone support system, and how a lot of money could be saved with the right info on their website.

kindsvater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 05:14 PM   #6
chrismarklee

Default Social media for local Business

I do Income Taxes for locals. The big problem with social media for locals is your customer base is very small. I need to focus on better engagement posts on my Facebook business page

Old 14th May 2015, 03:34 AM   #7
Qmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
It's sad though that "customer service" over phone is not able to resolve problems their customers might have.
It is sad that some issues are not addressed until publicly called out on social media, but at the same time it is great to see a company take the initiative to resolve an issue when this is done.

As far as local businesses, it's great when I see them interact with their customers over social media but many, at least around me, don't monitor social interactions as much as larger brands. It really does make me smile when I see them making the effort.

Old 18th June 2015, 12:46 AM   #8
janvi

social media plays a vital role in expanding a small business. if used in right direction social media can make huge money to a small business man.

janvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 08:49 PM   #9
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmind View Post
It is sad that some issues are not addressed until publicly called out on social media, but at the same time it is great to see a company take the initiative to resolve an issue when this is done.

As far as local businesses, it's great when I see them interact with their customers over social media but many, at least around me, don't monitor social interactions as much as larger brands. It really does make me smile when I see them making the effort.
That's an excellent point and my observation as well. Local small businesses do not have resources to monitor social media and engage with clients. However, those that do take time to do it stand to benefit greatly as you mentioned.

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 11:57 PM   #10
johnkca

Social media will make you famous among your friends first and then your city.

johnkca is offline   Reply With Quote