Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th February 2008, 09:28 AM   #1
everypcneed

Send a message via Yahoo to everypcneed
Default PR3 On Internal Pages - No PR On Homepage?

Hi All,

Quite a few of the internal pages have a PR3 while the homepage has no PR.

Can someone outline why the homepage does not have a PR even though internal pages do?

Example PR3 page:

bestchoiceforebooks.com/catalog/Private_Label_Rights-74-1.html

everypcneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th February 2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I briefly took a look, and I do think it is an odd scenario.

Have you setup an account with Google Webmaster Central to see if Google is reporting any errors with your site? That is the first step I would take.

Old 13th February 2008, 09:40 AM   #3
everypcneed

Hi Logan,

Thanks for the reply.

We have reviewed some of the work we had completed on the site previously and do believe we have located the issue.

Within the robots.txt file it lists the following line:
Disallow: /index.php?

Would this have caused the issue reported above?

We have reviewed Google's Webmaster Tool as well. No errors being reported there other then urls that were being restricted by the robots.txt file. Which lead us to the above question as they all include index.php?...

We would like to exclude indexing on pages such as www.bestchoiceforebooks.com/index.php?p=login or any page returned using the index.php?... variable. But would like to have index.php indexed.

Is this possible?

Looking forward to your reply!

Rick

Last edited by everypcneed; 13th February 2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 13th February 2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

That does make sense regarding the scenario and issue.

Regarding resolving it, my understanding is that robots.txt is page specific. I am not familiar with a way to address that outside of changing things a bit. I would have index.php used as your main page and what you want without robots.txt restrictions. I would then create a new page with functions such as login that you do not want included and restricted with robots.txt

So you would then have two distinct pages

index.php
page2.php?p=login

That's how I would solve the problem. Of course you would need to change your robots.txt file to correspond with this and then it will take some time for google to catch up and updtes the changes. in particular, the pagerank displayed in the toolbar is often delayed by months even though the actual changes are factored in prior to the toolbar being updated.

Old 13th February 2008, 04:37 PM   #5
everypcneed

Hi Logan,

Thank you for your replies.

Our shopping cart rewrites most URLs via the htaccess file with the exception of the pages processed by the index.php as outlined above.

Your direction is greatly appreciated. We are having our developer add additional rules to the htaccess file to rewrite these URLs as well. Once this is completed we will be able to add these to the robots.txt file to Disallow those specific urls as well.

Thanks again.

Rick

Old 25th February 2008, 11:15 AM   #6
rick22

How is this possible , i never heard that , may beed you have pasted your internal page link somewhere as signature...

rick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 02:19 PM   #7
everypcneed

We believe it was due to the robots.txt file listing index.php as Disallow

Since editing the robots.txt file earlier this month, we have confirmed our index.php page has been indexed by all the major SEs. No other work has been performed on the site for some time now.

Therefore one could safely assume the internal pages received relevant PR and the homepage was ignored due to it being disallowed in the robots.txt file. Make perfect sense to me

Old 1st March 2008, 07:59 AM   #8
IworkFromHOME

Well. look now. 20 days later you have PR 4 for your homepage. Congrat.

IworkFromHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 02:13 PM   #9
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr

Can I check something? My understanding was that PR wasn't important enough to worry about in any case....?

S

Old 2nd March 2008, 12:35 AM   #10
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Generally, toolbar PR isn't worth worrying about, as it's merely an outdated approximation of "real" PR, and (unlike "real" PR), the number reported on the toolbar isn't used in ranking calculations at all.

However, in some cases (such as the scenario outlined above), a weird result in the toolbar PR can be indicative of a problem -- in this case, the index.php page being inadvertently excluded from spidering.

So, it's not worth obsessing over trying to increase the toolbar PR number (as some webmasters do), and it's not worth panicking over every little change (as many of those turn out to be temporary glitches) especially if there's no accompanying change in traffic or sales. But when there's an ongoing anomaly such as this (PR0 on the home page, PR3 on interior pages), it might be worth checking it out just to make sure there's nothing strange going on with the site configuration -- as there turned out to be in this situation.

--Torka