Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st February 2008, 07:36 PM   #11
RobAde

Default Good rankings

Achieving good rankings is making sure that your content is relevant to the keyword you are aiming to get good results for.

Yes link building is important but it is very important to make sure that the majority of links linking to your site is somewhat relevant to the website you are trying to get good rankings for.

Articles are a great way to get great links, dont pay someone to write your article afterall if you are passionate about your website (you must be since you want good rankings) then it shouldnt take you long to type a 300-500 word article. Once article is completed submit it to article directories and repeat this process every 1-2 months.

Understand your competition, see where they are linking to, see if you can get the same link. You can goto www.linkpopularity.com and type in your competitors website to see who is linking to them.

SEO is about being patient and truly understanding how Google/Yahoo etc ranks sites and that relevance of text to keyword is the main reason why some sites get good rankings and others dont.

RobAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th February 2008, 01:11 PM   #12
Kataphileo

I realized I have always been linking people directly to my site's home page and when they are searching for a particular handbag, they will type it into the google search and not my website name. I have recently moved to the top for a particular handbag on msn.com and have further realized I should be linking to that particular brand and not one particular handbag style so if the customer is searching for the name brand plus any of the handbag styles within that page it will pop up instead of specifically the one brand and style. Am I getting this correct? The idea of it?

Kataphileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 10:43 PM   #13
kenneth.robert

Default hi

yes
it is really that page rank depends on quality back links. if you want increase the page rank then link building is very important for increase the page rank. article submission, directory submission, forum posting and online discussion is very beneficial for increase the page rank.

kenneth.robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

Does the number of posts one has on a forum make a difference? For example, long-time users of a forum that have 1,000+ posts...

or is there a point where it doesn't matter any more - like once you have 100+ posts you hit a saturation point where it adds no great benefit?

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 07:47 PM   #15
Logan
Administrator

I think it does matter, but it is too simplistic to say it that way. When you consider 1000 posts and how the link structure changes over time with a forum ... I think a links value naturally deminishes over time because that page is deeper and deeper within the internal link structure of the forum. So if you had 20 posts this month that very may well equal 40 posts from three years ago that are deeper in the forum link structure. I tend to think of it along the lines of quality, frequency, quantity.

Old 15th February 2008, 02:36 PM   #16
IworkFromHOME

In my opinion in search engine algorithm there are a lot of criteria. everything is given some kind of weight and the numbers can be easily change whenever required. but the formula is kept secret. that's why we shouldn't avoid anything.
and if we think too much will achieve nothing but afraid of doing something.

IworkFromHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 02:13 PM   #17
mitchell0327

Send a message via Yahoo to mitchell0327 Send a message via Skype™ to mitchell0327

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.robert View Post
yes
article submission, directory submission, forum posting and online discussion is very beneficial for increase the page rank.
Hey Kenneth what are some sites you have when you talk about article submission and directory submission? I'm just starting to learn SEO for promoting my site, and any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!!

mitchell0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 04:42 PM   #18
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr

Amir's got a good question there, I think - for example, what happens if I change my sig and then all of a sudden, a couple of hundred links to my homepage automatically change as far as Google's concerned.....?

S

Old 19th February 2008, 08:08 PM   #19
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

simon, you would lose your rank on the anchor text from your signature line slowly and steadily as the pages on which you posted get re-cached. You do have to post consistently on forums because one week a thread page may rank well in google then someone else posts, the keyword density changes and the thread drops off of the Google radar. Where there was once a good signature link now you get the minimum juice. I actually have more problems with signature lines causing my SERP results to bounce around.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 12:46 PM   #20
ericajones80

good information on SEO....SEO is really important these days. thanks for the post

ericajones80 is offline   Reply With Quote