Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th June 2008, 12:03 PM   #1
JonE5

Unhappy Getting People To Read My Blog

I have been maintaining my blog for about 3 months now. I write a post at least every other day, try to provide content about what I know, and rarely ever tell people about my company, yet it seems that no one is reading it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get more people reading my blog. I have even been submitting my blog to various directories so it's easy to find.

JonE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th June 2008, 02:44 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Comment on other blogs in your niche. If your comments are thoughtful and interesting, people will click through to your blog.

Volunteer guest posts on other bloggers' blogs. Make sure they're useful, intelligent and interesting posts (without a whole lot of self-promotion). You'll get some nice publicity, exposure to a whole new audience and a link back to your blog.

If you become an active and valuable member in the blogsphere, other bloggers may include your link in their blogroll. Their readers may click through from there and find your blog.

Include a link to your blog in your forum signature. If your forum comments and questions are thoughtful and interesting (and they're interested in the subject of your blog), people will click through.

Join various social networking groups (Twitter, Stumbleupon, Mixx, etc.) and include a link to your blog in your profile. Become an active member of these sites -- not just submitting your own stuff, but submitting and voting up/down on other people's stuff, too. As you become an active and valuable member of the community, people will visit your profile and from there may find their way to your blog.

Read and subscribe to ProBlogger.net. Darren offers all kinds of other suggestions on how to make your blog more successful.

HTH!

--Torka

Old 7th June 2008, 02:28 PM   #3
viper_one
VIP Contributor

I noticed that your paragraphs are longer so i would imagine that you need to get to the heart of the matter faster. I mean, it's great -- but folks are skimming around the net and want faster results in content. I believe that is why they buy into quick solution 'how to.' ads.

Try breaking you paragraphs into smaller groups. And you might want to keep telling people why they are reading a certain subject -- they need conclusions before they invest their brains.

If you go to a site called SiteSell, he has ebooks that explain the process of writing on the net. They're FREE! to use. (info. on traffic building too!) but i wasn't happy with the line feed occured after you told people about the blog / then you used the url.

Also, try putting some <h1> tags into your text so when people are browsing you page they develop interest.

You know, it is really sad sometimes, to find people who can think uphere on the net. So you must lead them, and it appears you have the desire and skill to help them. Don't be affraid to shake things up and get them high as a kite over your content. It is much different up here than reading paragraphs from a good book. Alright.

And it wouldn't hurt to add some pictures inside your text too!

Hope that's good.

Last edited by viper_one; 7th June 2008 at 02:31 PM.
viper_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 08:24 AM   #4
bdorland

As Viper One mentioned, your blog could use some help in the aesthetics department...Even though blogs are historically less graphic than normal websites, your blog's design and content still have to entice visitors. And you only have a few seconds to hook them. You may find that simply adding a complimentary image within each post gets you more repeat visitors...

bdorland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 08:57 AM   #5
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

I disagree (unless you already broke it into smaller paragraphs. I think the paragraphs were plenty short enough. A blog is not a website. People read them for content. If your writing style is engaging I would have no problem reading a 700 word post.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 04:55 PM   #6
kremner

Default Linkedin Quickfix

Have you signed up for Linkedin yet? If not, you might find it a useful adjunct to your blog efforts.

Its a good route to some quick (but somewhat limited) exposure and focussed traffic generation. Check it out and see what you think.

Good luck from Jonathan

kremner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 07:38 AM   #7
sdk1988
VIP Contributor

Another great source for networking your blog is blog catalog dot com - there are various groups you can join, discussion groups, etc, another one to check out is entrecard. It is great for new blogs to start getting your name out there.

Many of the social networking sites, will give you a bit of traffic, depending on the time you spend promoting your blog.

sdk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 08:22 PM   #8
lenny45611

You can write a interesting topic to attract the readers, the topic may contain the info of popular points.

lenny45611 is offline   Reply With Quote