Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd September 2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Esquire7

Default Ok..

So bottom line...keywords aren't that important. But why didn't they say this earlier?

Esquire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:57 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, keyword research is still extremely important.

What is useless is the keyword meta tag.

Big difference.

You still need keyword research to learn what words and phrases real customers are using when they search for the kinds of products or services you offer.

And you still need to pick different phrases to use for optimizing each page of your site. Attempting on-page optimization without first doing keyword research is... well... not optimal.

And you still need to optimize different pages of your site for each of these phrases. That's what makes it possible for the search engines to rank your pages highly for those phrases... which is what makes it possible for potential visitors to find your pages when they search using those phrases.

It's only the silly lists of keywords in the keyword meta tag that are "dead" as far as Google is concerned... and have been so for a long time, actually. Many professional SEOs (the ones who know what they're talking about, that is) have been saying the keyword meta tag is useless for years now. (It's always been easy enough to test it and see that it had no effect.) It's just that Google is only now getting around to "officially" confirming it.

--Torka

Last edited by torka; 23rd September 2009 at 12:00 PM.
torka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 04:28 PM   #3
royhunters

I am sure it wont be long and Google wont use any words on your page for ranking. I am sure it will all come from the anchor text of the links pointing to your website... Then it wont be long and they will ignore that also, they will only rank your site on the keywords in your domain name, then it wont be long and they will not use that either, they will only rank the directories you pay to list your website... like superpages, yellow pages, etc.. Then it wont be long and they wont use that either, you will only be indexed for content relevant to your Birth date and social security number....

I think it will ultimately end with your DNA sequence OR the rank positions will be auctioned off to the highest bidders.

I REALLY hope Bing takes off, I am sick of this circus.

royhunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 03:36 PM   #4
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

I don't think that the changes Google has made to their algorithm over the years has been for any purpose other then reducing spam and making results more relevant so they can continue to be the best and earn revenue. So many people look at Google like an evil dictator (especially if they are not ranking well) but Google organic search is free. They don't owe anyone anything - and everyone cannot possibly be on the first page. Many website owners have gotten a lot of free traffic from Google for years, so they should actually be grateful, not bitter. What if Google decides to go totally "paid". It's a for-profit company and they have the right to make that decision. What the website owner needs to ask is "What do I have in place should the free ride end?"

If someone in your local city were to start a business directory and offer you free advertising for awhile until they got up and running, would you have anger issues toward them when they decided they could no longer offer you a free ad? Probably you would simply be grateful for the months of free ads you had received. Why is it that people never look at Google that way? Maybe we expect too much.

Old 19th October 2009, 03:43 AM   #5
janicejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire7 View Post
So bottom line...keywords aren't that important. But why didn't they say this earlier?
not keywords actually, its what we call meta keywords, this was google's way to prevent irrelevant results on their search queries as for people before include irrelevant keywords on their meta tags in order to rank high on search results even though their site isn't actually related.

janicejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 01:08 PM   #6
vivianrollins

the meta tag keyword was not ever in used by Google from the start. it's a good practice since you basically open yourself up for spamming if SEs take that into consideration.

Yahoo, MSN and others use it though which is probably one of the many reasons why their search results are not as accurate.

Whether you use it or not, whatever you do, don't put your money keywords in the meta tags. you are simply giving your golden goose away if you do.

keyword research is however very important. having the right keyword will ensure you have visitors that you can convert.

vivianrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:11 PM   #7
FL Marketing

Google is already monetizing their organic results by giving the first slots to companies that spend a lot of money with google such as merchant circle.... Organic is not "free". To place wel in organic you have to spend a lot of money on SEO (time is also money)

Saying Google is our friend is like saying Wall Mart is good for our economy.

FL Marketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 08:07 AM   #8
ericamcclenny

Well, as far as I am concerned, keywords will always be essential to my business/website. And i am sure that Google is continually evolving but I hope that only to make things better rather jeopardizing everything. Heard about bing, kinda interested for that one. But guess, the big G will still be around for a long time.

ericamcclenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 09:20 AM   #9
JustinMarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by royhunters View Post
I am sure it wont be long and Google wont use any words on your page for ranking. I am sure it will all come from the anchor text of the links pointing to your website...
I cant believe that...

You can see where they are going when they:
Bump up new content
Continue to personalise the search results

JustinMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 05:35 AM   #10
JockPurtle

Google will move away from off page optimiaztion and more to onpage.

What you have on your site will be a big determinant of how well you rank.

That is why user generated content like comments etc. are very powerful in the serach engines.

Take this forum for example.

People are posting new content every day.

Couple with the right onpage seo, a few links from people saying that this is a good site and first page google no problems.

JockPurtle is offline   Reply With Quote