Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th September 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
JewelryBiz

Default Review Of Website

if i can get a review of my website, that would be of great help, any suggestions would be helpful, thanks

www.unforgetfulljewelry.com

JewelryBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th September 2009, 01:12 PM   #2
helptobiz

Hi jewelrybiz I really like your site,especially the effects on your links.The only thing I would add is a favicon so your website is easy to find after a visitor bookmarks it.I think that ring you are using in your profile would be a awesome one.

helptobiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 04:00 PM   #3
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

I'm not sure what screen resolution you were using when you designed the site or if you tested it in multiple browsers, but on my monitor (1024x768 which is very common) the text on the home page is so tiny I could barely read it. Also, the featured items are being pushed to the bottom of the page. When visitors land on your site I think they will feel overwhelmed by the large amount of small text and leave without reading it.

I also feel that there is too much going on with movement, sound and bouncing navigation. Less is truly more, especially when the products you are selling speak of "elegance".

You have to be careful when adding background sound to a site built with a content management system. The sound is reloading with every page so it gets very annoying after awhile. Not a good thing if you want visitors to spend a lot of time on your site browsing through your jewelry. Remember that many people surf the internet now with music playing in the background from iTune, Pandora, etc. Sounds playing over top of their music can be very irritating.

Good luck!

Old 9th September 2009, 06:06 PM   #4
JewelryBiz

yah i know the sounds do get annoying, im going to have to tune that down a little or get rid of it completely, i also agree with the text, their is alot to read at once. i use Firefox and the text is a little small. Anyway thanks for the advice so far, it is helpful.

JewelryBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 04:36 PM   #5
bluejay47

I think it's a very good start. I agree that the text is very small, it's a strain to read. Also, in my browser, the shop by categories and jewelry news are down the bottom. Some may not scroll down for that important info. I would cut out the sound effects which replay every time you click on something. I'd also suggest your page title (in the browser window) succinctly encompass what you do. Maybe even add a tagline in the header area to give a quick idea of what the site is about. HTH

bluejay47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I agree with Kim re the sound. It's just background music so it could automatically play once and that would probably be okay. But it shouldn't keep playing over and over again ... yikes! (Remember that many many people surf the web at work and they do NOT want sounds coming out of their computer unexpectedly! IMO no sound is better for this kind of site ... )

Do switch your text background to something very light (white or very light grey for e.g.) and then make your text darker (dark grey, dark greyish red perhaps, etc ... you'll have to experiment). I have perfect vision and found this extremely difficult to read.

Bring the About Us page (from text nav in footer) into the main nav or sub nav. You want to quickly demonstrate credibility, industry knowledge, etc. Don't hide who you are ... add photos of your consultants too if you can (professional shots). Diamonds are an investment and a luxury so you must treat prospective clients accordingly.

Make the feedback/contact forms as short as possible. Don't ask for too much information which discourages new visitors from making that crucial first connection with you, the seller. (You'll have lots of time to close the deal *after* they call and get to know you ...)

Those are my top of the mind thoughts

HTH,
Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote