Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Hardware
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th March 2011, 10:38 AM   #11
BSI

Have a business grade HP desktop and like it very much. As far as laptops have had good experience with HP, IBM (which is now lenovo) and Asus. The Asus I built so I may be a little prejudice but the only problem I had with the Asus was a battery issue but this was from about 4 years ago or more so if you go with Asus make sure they still don't have a battery issue (it was only with a couple models). Hope that helps.

BSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th May 2011, 11:35 AM   #12
georgechapman

Typing on a 1-year old ASUS right now. This tough litlle machine's been through some rough times, and I've had no issues at all from it. It's no wonder why Toshiba and ASUS rank highest when durability is concerned.

Old 16th May 2011, 02:37 PM   #13
Straatman

I repair PC's on the side for people, and I get more HP laptops coming in for repairs more than ANY other make. I strongly advise deviating from HP and Compaq. I also would not recommend IBM/Lenovo.

In my humble opinion and experience with computers, I'd say your best bet in terms of price and longevity are probably Toshiba, ASUS, or Dell. HP and Compaq seem to have the highest rate of hardware failures.

Macbooks are also very stable, but costly.

Straatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 11:21 AM   #14
krisp

I would have to say that the brand is nothing more than marketing. It is up to what is inside that makes the machine stand out. You can have a very expensive brand but with lower specs and still pay the same price as a powerful machine with a much lesser ranked brand.

It is all just a matter of choice. The brand does not help in computing but just an aesthetic factor.

krisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 03:24 PM   #15
oldbuddy
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to oldbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straatman View Post
I repair PC's on the side for people, and I get more HP laptops coming in for repairs more than ANY other make. I strongly advise deviating from HP and Compaq. I also would not recommend IBM/Lenovo.

In my humble opinion and experience with computers, I'd say your best bet in terms of price and longevity are probably Toshiba, ASUS, or Dell. HP and Compaq seem to have the highest rate of hardware failures.

Macbooks are also very stable, but costly.
Could this have anything to do with the fact there are a LOT more of them out there to have problems?

Old 26th June 2011, 02:14 PM   #16
PrintInOttawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbuddy View Post
Could this have anything to do with the fact there are a LOT more of them out there to have problems?
Heh that's funny I was going to say the exact same thing, there are *a lot* more HP laptops out there then any other brand, mainly due to price point and best buy (and the like), many people still want to 'touch and feel' a laptop prior to investing in one.

Anyhow, all laptops or parts are made in China, and from that at least 70% are produced from two different manufacturers in China, one of which staffs over a million employees.

SO brand *really* doesn't matter that much ..

Here are the questions to ask youself.

1) How much do I want to spend ?
2) How long will I use it until I replace it ?
3) How much will I use it ?
4) How rough will I be with it ?
5) What will I be doing on it ?

PrintInOttawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 04:05 PM   #17
jeff.belde

Partially agree, but brand matters too...you really cannot compare a Sony Vaio with a Packard Bell or Toshiba. Each brand has it's own exceeding edge (Dell for the cooling system, Alienware for gaming, Vaio or Mac for business, Acer for inovation (by the way - check out Acer Iconia on YouTube - splendid) etc.).
Even if most of them are made in China, providers differs, and so the quality too.

jeff.belde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 07:10 PM   #18
entrpnrbsns

I have been buying Lenovo thinkpads (previously made by IBM) for a very long time. They are incredibly durable, Lenovo offers great customer support should you have a problem, and the computers are very fast. I only recently upgraded from a laptop that lasted for ten years with little issue.

entrpnrbsns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 06:25 AM   #19
petersampsons

Thumbs up Best Laptop Brand?

Have you business purposes then HP is a best brand.and Have you Home purposes then Dell is a best brand.

Old 29th March 2012, 10:34 AM   #20
MsLauren87

Quote:
Originally Posted by genius View Post
Hello friends,
Which is best brand for laptops?
Toshiba, Sony Vaio, Gateway, HP or another?
Do you have any idea of what the laptop is going to be used for? Is it to going be a catch all business computer, are you going to need a high quality graphics card, what sort of system are you looking at running, etc?

I don't have any experience with Gateway or Toshiba, but HP is really reliable and I've had no problems with Macs or Asus.

MsLauren87 is offline   Reply With Quote