Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st February 2011, 08:10 PM   #1
goodoboy

Default Joomla Website Vs SEO

Hello, I am building a website using Joomla. I will hire a web developer who will create an web base application to be embedded in the website for users to use and save work.

Is there anything I need to question the developer over before I hire one regarding SEO and Joomla platform? This way there is no issues months later, when I start SEO the website.

Thanks

Last edited by goodoboy; 1st February 2011 at 10:24 PM.
goodoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:21 AM   #2
tradeshowdesign

Default Why Joomla?

What made you choose Joomla over other CMS systems?

Old 2nd February 2011, 06:06 PM   #3
goodoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradeshowdesign View Post
What made you choose Joomla over other CMS systems?
Im more knowledgable with Joomla. easy and quick to use

goodoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:31 PM   #4
adrika12

Mostly people are using wordpress because they think that joomla is difficult then wordpress. But i have experience of both. I think, joomla is more effect and easy to use then wordpress.

adrika12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 12:42 AM   #5
jesicawillss
Banned

Quote:
Mostly people are using wordpress because they think that joomla is difficult then wordpress. But i have experience of both. I think, joomla is more effect and easy to use then wordpress.
I think it depends on the type of project work.

jesicawillss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 01:39 AM   #6
shanehubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrika12 View Post
My vote is also with joomla because offers a variety of easy custom web applications.

shanehubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 02:58 AM   #7
TilenKrivec

I've worked with both and still find wordpress way easier to use + it has tons more plugins so you don't have to hire a developer for every little widget you want to add.

TilenKrivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 06:18 AM   #8
jamesparker100

I think its a good idea to develop your website in Joomla as I heard this CMS is more search engine friendly than others.

Old 4th February 2011, 01:29 PM   #9
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Let's not get sidetracked. The OP has already made the decision to go with Joomla. Debating about whether to change to another CMS is pretty much beside the point...

So, back to the original question. Most CMS's these days are reasonably SEO-friendly. Each one has its quirks, but it's really not that hard to make them reasonably search friendly with just a little bit of thought and planning.

You want to make sure you have the ability to assign each page a unique HTML title tag. If you can set an HTML title tag separate from the page headline, that's even better. But at least be able to assign a unique title tag to each page. Very important.

You want the ability to create a unique meta description for each page, too. It won't help with ranking, but a well-written description has a good chance of showing up as the snippet in search results -- and it can make a difference as to whether people click through to your pages -- so you don't want it to be generic, same-on-every-page crap.

If possible, you want every page to be accessible through one URL, and one URL only. This is sometimes a problem for CMS's, because pages can be classified in more than one category and can be tagged with multiple terms. The page URL can vary depending on whether people accessed the page via one category archive or another.

Wordpress uses "permalinks" to at least partially get around this. I'm not familiar with whether Joomla has that kind of feature built in or if you need to install an extension, but either way it's a good thing to make sure you have in place. Another alternative is the rel="canonical" element; you can use this if you have to, but the better solution is to have each page accessible via only one URL to start with.

A well-thought-out site architecture with good, descriptive navigation links (do your keyword research) will also serve you well. People often overlook the power of internal navigation links when SEO'ing a site. Having strong anchor text internal links and navigation will help put you ahead of the game.

If you have these sorts of things "baked in" to the application, you should be in pretty good shape.

--Torka

Old 6th February 2011, 12:38 AM   #10
Le Digitale

Getting back to the original question "Is there anything I need to question the developer over before I hire one regarding SEO and Joomla platform?" -- I would ask him what Joomla extensions he was planning to use along with what "tuning" and configuration changes he was going to do along with it. From that you can do your due diligence with regards to whether or not the developer is taking an approach you feel will keep your site stable and searchable.

Le Digitale is offline   Reply With Quote