Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th June 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
brianqazz

Default Starting A Project

Hello my name is Brian I'm only 28 but fill like 50 lol. I have works 10 years on hard labor jobs and don't know how much longer my body can take it. I'm not looking to get rich or take a easy way out, I just want to try to do some thing fun and make a little money, I am starting a side project making fire starter logs! I have worked at a wood mill for almost 4 years turning logs into firewood and packaging them into bundles,boxes, half cord pallets, and so on.The company is now shut down but I can get all the sawdust I want and the wax for cheap or if not free,, I experimented with sawdust and wax mix , I got about the same results as any other fire starter log brands out there, 3 hours of burning and easy to start with or with out a rapper ! I read some posts about comparing different brands about at the end of the log burning the heat dissipated, makes me think of putting a hardwood kinda core in the middle of the log that way, when its dune burning your left with a hot Cole core or embers ! now I'm not running a business but would like to, I found a extremely cheap way to make fire starter logs , so I don't understand why they are so expensive ? Now if I can get this project going I would like to sell fire starter logs for cheaper then all the going prices ! but I don't know where to start and need Help or a partner and advice.

brianqazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th August 2013, 07:29 AM   #2
LGCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianqazz View Post
Hello my name is Brian I'm only 28 but fill like 50 lol. I have works 10 years on hard labor jobs and don't know how much longer my body can take it. I'm not looking to get rich or take a easy way out, I just want to try to do some thing fun and make a little money, I am starting a side project making fire starter logs! I have worked at a wood mill for almost 4 years turning logs into firewood and packaging them into bundles,boxes, half cord pallets, and so on.The company is now shut down but I can get all the sawdust I want and the wax for cheap or if not free,, I experimented with sawdust and wax mix , I got about the same results as any other fire starter log brands out there, 3 hours of burning and easy to start with or with out a rapper ! I read some posts about comparing different brands about at the end of the log burning the heat dissipated, makes me think of putting a hardwood kinda core in the middle of the log that way, when its dune burning your left with a hot Cole core or embers ! now I'm not running a business but would like to, I found a extremely cheap way to make fire starter logs , so I don't understand why they are so expensive ? Now if I can get this project going I would like to sell fire starter logs for cheaper then all the going prices ! but I don't know where to start and need Help or a partner and advice.
Hi Brian. I don't know anything about Fires starter logs. As far as getting started I would begin with a business plan. Think about how much all of your materials cost (including time in packaging the product) and then decide on a price that makes sense. Then think about where would you sell these products? Perhaps some local general stores would be interested in carrying your product.

You might also want to consider how you'll market your product. First starter logs are a commodity, so why would someone buy your product over a brand like duraflame? What does your product offer (besides a cheaper price) that would make them purchase it?

This is a very simplistic view and there's way more work that you'd have to do to get this thing started, but it will at least get you thinking about a few things. Good luck!