Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th June 2011, 06:36 PM   #1
zharlene

Default Any Probloggers Here?

A problogger is someone who blogs for a living...your blog puts food on the table and it pays the bills.

Anyone probloggers here?

I've decided to take my blog seriously and in time, I'm hoping it is enough to pay the bills. I think I could manage SEO and the design of my blog. But I'm not expecting to have the perfect article that will go viral. I will be using Adsense.

Any advice for amateur bloggers? At which point in your bloglife did you start earning enough from it?

Thanks!

zharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th June 2011, 10:44 PM   #2
DROID

I blog but no income

DROID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 06:49 AM   #3
zharlene

Perseverance is what we all need. Just keep blogging and I'm sure we'll get there. Most of us will need a few thousand posts to get there but it will happen.

zharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 04:22 PM   #4
DreamMedia

Try to tie together stuff that interest and spark your writing sense with stuff that is trending at the moment and the traffic will come. And as we all know with traffic comes the cash!

Once you start getting traffic, set up a self-hosted ad server and place your own ads from different affiliate networks. Don't settle for the change adsense will give you.

DreamMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Ted GWL

I guess you could call me a problogger. I own a bunch of blogs that make me money.

My advice to you would be to not put all of your eggs in one basket by focusing on just one website.

It is incredibly difficult, let me say again, incredibly difficult to build one website, especially a blog, that will generate enough revenue for you to live on.

If that is not true then my skills really suck compared to everyone else's. In my experience, you will need a handful of moderately successful websites to achieve that. For me a moderately successful website would earn more than $500 per month.

Old 8th August 2011, 01:13 PM   #6
NVISIONtradesho

I would agree with above.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I currently blog for multiple websites which earns me an income. Not a huge income, but it's nice extra money. Make sure to reach out on many different niches.

NVISIONtradesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 01:05 AM   #7
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I also agree with Ted. But my only other comment is that you should try to be controversial in some way. I am not talking about frustrating readers... but blog post after blog post all start to look the same.

If you take a stand... and run with it you will get a bunch of people that don't like you and leave... and that's ok, because they're only wasting your resources; But you will also GAIN a bunch that like your style.

If you do that, you've got a better chance of going 'viral' (at least to some extent)

Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 06:28 PM   #8
dancorkill

Send a message via Skype™ to dancorkill

Keep going mate, don't try and make money with adsense though, you will need way too much traffic (it was a good strategy a few years ago, they don't pay enough now).

Instead find your niche, build an audience, sell them affiliate products, then ask them what products they want to buy, then make that product and get your own affiliates promoting it.

Look at how the big guys do it http://www.problogger.net/ and http://shoemoney.com/ some of them do mix adsense in but they have 100,000's of views. None of them rely on it for earnings.

Old 29th September 2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Lisa-BFWM

I have been pro-blogging for about 6 years. My first few months I made dollars a month and I now make enough to support myself and 2 kids- Most of what I learned I learned on this site along with a handle of others. I did have a background in SEO but found it more lucrative ( and less stressful) to just work for myself and use SEO skills to market my own websites.
There are a zillion sites that tell you basics on how to do it and it can be very basic and very complicated at the same time.
You need more than one blog. I have 10 and 3 make good money.
Know what you are talking about. don't just pick something you BELIEVE will make money. Start to think of your blog as a resource hub. You will not maintain a site about a topic you that you don't have interest in.
Pick something you enjoy.. for example I like camping and having a camping blog... I discuss campfire recipes, travel games, review equipment, etc.
Niche topics goods. Topics where you can discuss a wide range of products while not losing focus.
ie. Blog on raising a large family you could spin into recipes, cooking, time management, books for kids, review kids toys, favorite mini van, travel , pets..

By looking at traffic and affiliate revenue you can start to fine tune what posts do well and expand on that.
Post. ( Having said that I should note I have neglected couple of blogs!) You need to post SOMETHING with content at least twice a week in the beginning .. like first year at least. With smartphones it is easier than ever to write a blog post on the fly.
Don't get bogged down with constant tweaks of your blog. Changing themes, etc. There are some simple SEO strategies to use that you hear repeated over and over..- key words in post, efficient category titles, good ad placement. The more you do the better you get at it.
Use analytic to to see what works and what doesn't. This is KEY and probably most important thing nest to creating actual content.
The tweaking is constant but spending hours and hours getting just right shade of fuchsia a waste of your time.
The focus should be on content not latest and greatest plugins.
The concepts are too many to mention but I can attest to making money consistently..
Happy to help if more specific advice needed.

Lisa-BFWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:53 PM   #10
numeric

Hey I want to be a pro-blogger as well, any specific threads where I want to get into?

I really want to earn money from home. I'd rather be here than traveling and working away. :\ I feel I'm eating a well balanced meal here and is more fit compared to being stressed at work.

I'm bookmarking this thread