Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2008, 02:20 AM   #1
ShannonC_77

Default Wordpress Vs. Blogger For Hosting On My Own?

Hi,

I'm new hear and am hoping to learn a lot. So far its seems like a wealth of information.

I'm just in the process of starting my own sales site (I've been writing for many years and am finally going to start to try and market my own ebook product).

Apart from that though, I also want to start a blog as a way to help build a list and promote other products through affiliate marketing (as well as mine eventually).

A couple of individuals have told me it's extremely important to host the blog myself, rather than just using a free account.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on this?

I think I prefer blogger better than wordpress so far, and I'm not extremely technologically skilled, so at this point I seem to be waiting on other people a lot to upload the wordpress template, add various things - and half of it I'm still sort of understanding.

I did have a blogspot.com blog for a very short while, before I was told it was better to host my own and use wordpress.org.

Any advice would be great.

ShannonC_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:58 AM   #2
mrdinar

Well i Am also using Wordpress blog i think its More better then blogspot

mrdinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 08:52 AM   #3
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

I agree that you should install your blog on your own server. Installing on a hosted site is easy but includes limitations you might not want to deal with down the road. You also want the blog to be associated with your domain name. Installation is not hard. I'm using Wordpress and they have gone the extra yard to make editing of themes and installation of plug-ins intuitive.

Here's a good article on starting a blog. Lot's of good tips on which plug-ins are most important, etc.

Old 12th August 2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Schmoozii

Go with wordpress, it's very easy to use. Also, many hosting companies have wordpress already installed. I use Hostgator and they have it preinstalled. to install, go into your cpanel control panel, click Fantasico, click wordpress, and presto you wordpress is ready to go. Takes about 3 minutes to set up. Then download Filezilla as your ftp, follow the directions on the cpanel on how to set it up, and you will be ready to add new themes and plugins.

Schmoozii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 06:26 AM   #5
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

I also use Wordpress, you will learn how it works fast.Also, I highly recommend hosting your blog your self (purchase a domain name and a hosting account).This way your content is safe and you cannot be shut down which has happened to many people who have free hosting.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 10:12 AM   #6
sdk1988
VIP Contributor

What they said! I love wordpress, there is a story somewhere here on the forum, I didn't host my own site when I started, thought I would try blogging, and didn't read the fine print.. I ended up having to move a pr4 site off the free service and lost links..ranking, etc.. it came back eventually, but I wish I would have asked more questions.

sdk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Filbiz

Hosting your own blog is better because you will have more flexibility and control of your site whereas free hosted blogs have limitations.

Filbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 01:41 AM   #8
khaty

I am using both wordpress and blogspot, wordpress is more on doing your own thing you can host it if you want. Blogspot is more user-friendly and you can add some adsense if you want to.

khaty is offline   Reply With Quote