Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th September 2014, 03:49 AM   #1
KateSteele

Default Lower Bounce Rate

Hello Everyone,

There is my client website which has bounce rate more than 80%. There are many keywords ranking top 10 on Google and We are getting huge traffic as well but I am wondering why bounce rate so high.

Please advice me some tips and ideas to reduce bounce rate.

KateSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th September 2014, 09:26 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Generally speaking, there are three reasons for a high bounce rate:
  • Your page is totally relevant to the visitor's query and it answers their question completely, so once they have that answer they simply move on. (Cure: add a strong "call to action" leading visitors to explore the site further.)
  • Your page has been artificially "muscled" to the top for a key word when it really isn't relevant to the intent of the majority of people searching using that phrase. They land on the page, discover it doesn't really have anything to do with they're looking for, and leave. (Cure: optimize for other phrases that match your content with searcher intent -- it's better to have fewer visitors, all of whom are truly interested in what you offer, than to have zillions of visitors who couldn't care less.)
  • The content of the page is relevant to the search query but is of such poor quality that people leave shortly after landing on the page, to continue their search elsewhere. (Cure: improve the quality of your content. Check spelling, grammar. Make sure you're offering real value, not just a "minimum word count" and a rehash of thousands of other thin-content articles out there.)

In my experience, the third reason is usually the most likely.

Another alternative is that the traffic is coming from some other source (such as some sort of "traffic building" scheme) and not from organic search. This sort of traffic tends to only stay for a few seconds, then leave. Have you segmented your analytics to determine the different bounce rates based on traffic source?

--Torka

Last edited by torka; 24th September 2014 at 09:29 AM.
torka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 06:00 AM   #3
alexjames212

Thanks for this piece of info torka.

alexjames212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 02:13 AM   #4
lptrendin

very useful info ...
thanks torka

lptrendin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 05:17 AM   #5
macgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateSteele View Post
Hello Everyone,

There is my client website which has bounce rate more than 80%. There are many keywords ranking top 10 on Google and We are getting huge traffic as well but I am wondering why bounce rate so high.

I guess you should have second thoughts about your website content. Visitors are coming to your site but if the content is not engaging and compelling then they have no reason to stay at your site.

For more tips and suggestions, kindly go through the below threads:
http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=64427
http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=56016
http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=54854

macgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 05:47 AM   #6
aaliyadhaha

You should change the content according to the visitors requirements or keywords, because my guess is that most of the time your visitors won't get the content what they are looking for.
my other suggestion is improve your website responsiveness and navigation more user friendly.

aaliyadhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 04:41 AM   #7
MBA Trainer
VIP Contributor

Bounce rate of any web site is always high when the visitors does not stay on any website. Moreover the website does not have relative information

Old 3rd October 2014, 12:19 AM   #8
denise1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA Trainer View Post
Bounce rate of any web site is always high when the visitors does not stay on any website. Moreover the website does not have relative information
Sometimes the visitor gets the info they need quickly too, for example if many visitors only go to a site to see the hours of operation etc

denise1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 05:25 AM   #9
johnnzakaria

To succeed in decreasing the bounce rate of your site you have to keep your visitors the longer time in your site as you can by writing high quality relevant articles to what your visitors are actually looking for.

johnnzakaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 01:47 AM   #10
Melissa Feeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateSteele View Post
Hello Everyone,

Bounce rate of a website increases, if visitor of your website doesn't come across a detailed and relevant content. The content of your website may be good for Search Engine, but not be easily understood by the visitor.

Melissa Feeney is offline   Reply With Quote