Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th April 2012, 02:08 PM   #21
gingerfishstick

Default Profile Vs Page

Well, technically Facebook only wants everyone to have 1 profile per person. Meaning a profile for a company would be a 2nd one. I'm pretty sure, it was much more common before Facebook Fan Pages came out.

As of 2012 you should be using a Facebook Page for anything other than your personal profile.

Facebook has made it so, as stated above, has better features for groups and businesses who have pages.

And as stated above, you can exceed 5k fans with pages, have all kinds of cool landing pages and now with timeline for pages you can speak to people using PM's.

And, one of the most important things, Facebook Insights. If you don't know what this is, this basically allows you to track how well interactions with fans are going through, views, things you post, how many people enlarged your photo that you posted and everything you post on your page's viral ability.

gingerfishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th April 2012, 04:09 PM   #22
mackyanderson

Quote:
Facebook only wants everyone to have 1 profile per person.
Well, we all know that this statement doesn't really happen to everyone. Most of the marketing industries goes to Facebook for the sake of giving information's about their company (Linking, Personal Messaging, Wall posting etc.) that makes the normal users really get very irritated. I personally encounter a lot of it, most specially if you have twitter? There are a lot of marketers over there, a lot's of automatic DM's, Tweets etc.

mackyanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 10:47 PM   #23
SEO_Philly

Great suggestion you got here. For me, they can be one and the same. However, I put more emphasis on Facebook Page because "First Impressions Last..." also, they can directly know what your business is about...

I hope I make sense...

SEO_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 01:55 AM   #24
TylerDurden49

That's a very informative & detailed article about Facebook marketing. However, I've a question that if a person who's not a lot into social activity & doesn't have a charm in communicating people. What strategy would you guys suggest to increase the page likes & users aside from being social.

Old 24th April 2012, 09:51 AM   #25
QACTyler

Just some food for thought on this topic. Though you can have a personal page that you discuss business on, it is against Facebook's TOS to have a personal page with a business name. That being said, there are still some out there. However, if Facebook discovers a personal page with a business name, it can be deleted and the owner can be banned from Facebook entirely. The same thing can also happen if someone has two different Facebook profile pages for a single person. Though I enjoy personal pages much more than fan pages simply due to the ability to communicate one-on-one (fan pages won't allow you to initiate messages, post on walls, search for people, tag people, etc where as personal pages do) I still think I'm going to play it safe and use the fan page just for fear of losing it all together. I was always a good kid in school haha.

QACTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 04:04 PM   #26
Melva

Thank you for this post, it answers a lot of my Facebook questions. I see that I have to make changes on how I am using Facebook.

Old 30th July 2012, 12:32 PM   #27
marketinger

I find that it's easier to promote and get fans from a Facebook page rather than a profile. The lines of communication are also more open on a page and businesses can have applications that link directly to questionnaires about their products or even a direct link to their blog. Retail businesses with both online and real life locations like Xerox CT have done this well.

marketinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 11:38 AM   #28
donovanjames786
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaElaine View Post
Last I checked you only need 25 followers to get a username. Has this changed?
No, there is no change. Still you need only 25 fans to get a username.

Old 31st October 2012, 01:55 AM   #29
johnywhite

In my perspective, page is for business and profile is for personal identity. Though you can take advantage to create both to maximize online presence and community engagement.

johnywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 10:35 AM   #30
printed.com

Thanks for sharing!