Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st July 2009, 05:46 PM   #21
SpotZero

The great thing about social media is it's free, essentially. What it does cost is time. There are soooo many different platforms of social media that it can be overwhelming, and trying to be on everything is a full time job (I know, because it's my full time job).

There's a lot of good advice here, and here's my two cents: take some time and do some research on the site/network/platform you're not familiar with and see which best fits you, although through social media it's more trial and error, but take your best guess anyway. Start with maybe two and really integrate into it and do realize the emphasis on social in "social media." Each platform requires it's own approach to best utilize. Best of luck, and if interested check out my signature.

SpotZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st August 2009, 05:24 AM   #22
maliaam6

I use social networks for business when the time is right. I would make contact and vice-versa for a few months, and never advertise - not yet any way. I'd hang around the system for a while and only reply to those who send links I never asked for. Anyway, I would now add a signature to every message or new contacts requesting follow, connection or friendship. Facebook is much better than twitter. I don't use twitter for business... who wants to know who had what for breakfast or who just finish using the john anyway lol.

Last edited by maliaam6; 1st August 2009 at 05:30 AM.
maliaam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:34 PM   #23
techsavvy16

Send a message via AIM to techsavvy16 Send a message via Yahoo to techsavvy16
Default Valuable Advice

Right now the future of E-commerce 2.0 is social selling. Social networks and online communities are taking the marketing world by storm, and their effects are now beginning to filter through the business world in new and innovative ways, with the very real potential to radically change the way you sell.Social selling is the promotion of your products and services using social tools to converse and collaborate with people.
Social media enables you to narrow down your target group, thus creating a collection of ideal prospects and company decision makers.

A business with an Amazon storefront, Ebay account, and even their own website that allows customers to buy and checkout is the old way of social seeling. They are not doing it through social media, like Facebook and Twitter. Social commerce is a fairly new trend and could prove quite profitable for sellers who frequent social-networking sites. Putting an embeddable , portable "e-store" on a company's facebook fan page will prove to be very beneficial. Since social commerce depends heavily on personal relationships among sellers and buyers, as well as recommendations, putting the mini stores, for example Toldya.com, on these sites seemed like a logical move.

techsavvy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 01:11 PM   #24
tazsolutions

Social networking is therefore very powerful. LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook have emerged. These web social networking tools now take up over 10% of all on line activity. Facebook allows you to join relevant discussion groups and Twitter allows you to receive alerts on specific keywords in order to keep track of relevant industry information.

tazsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 12:54 AM   #25
veronica

social networking is really making the right move in contacting right person to build relationship or business and help other people too.

veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 05:04 AM   #26
seoindian

Send a message via AIM to seoindian Send a message via MSN to seoindian Send a message via Yahoo to seoindian Send a message via Skype™ to seoindian

Social media work out very well these days. Where we can get the targeted traffic on our site.
Above really interesting conversation... I like those...
Looking forward to read more.....

seoindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 12:28 AM   #27
Elizabeth01

I too have an account on social networks but I use them to be in touch with friends otherwise I never used for business purpose. But I think these are all free services and good opportunity to let others know about your business and have fun networking. I found this useful link while browsing, just have a look.

Elizabeth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 01:11 PM   #28
samson12

Isn't is possible that eventually social networking will be so filled with advertising that it will cease to become an effective medium? It seems that once a new area opens up, everybody signs on ad nauseum and then its effectiveness drops.
Does anyone share the same opinion?

samson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 09:41 AM   #29
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesa7 View Post
I am very interested in learning more about how to use social networking to expand business -- would others be willing to share some of your tactics?
The best way to learn about social networking is to read "The Authority Black Book" by Jack Humphrey. http://www.authorityblackbook.com/

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 06:09 AM   #30
IsraelExporter

Hi

I see social networking as follows:

1) Reaching out to your target market

2) Connecting with your target market

3) Providing value for your target market

4) Re-directing them to your website.

and on your website you can "capture" them in your net.

IsraelExporter is offline   Reply With Quote